C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stinger hood for C3: does it block your view?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stinger hood for C3: does it block your view?

I'm looking for more hood clearance for my BB with edelbrock performer RPM but don't want to block my view any more than I have to.

Wondering about the stinger hood as opposed to the others, i.e. L88 style.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

how tall are you? I am 6'1" and my head touches the t-tops. It wouldn't block my view at all.

Here is a link with some pictures. May help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...s-style-2.html
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an L88 bonnet on mine.

Only issue I have is driving on unfamiliar winding and undulating roads.

View is fine for 98% of driving.

I drive from the right seat, and enthusiastic driving through the hills back roads can get a bit unsettling as I approach peaks or dips in the road, especially if there's a left turn associated with it.

I do need to lean forward and sit up for those moments when the road simply is not visible due to the bonnet and bulge.

Other than that, there's no issue.
If the roads/tracks you drive are relatively flat, or gently undulating, there shouldn't be any concerns at all.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

There are other medium and high rise hood options that would look more appropriate on a C3 IMHO, but of course it's your car. Love my L-88. My $.02

Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hood

I have the L88 cold air induction set up on my '73 with the scoop shown. I'm 6'2" and don't have any problem that I've noticed for all practical purposes. Heck, you already can't see about the first 4' of the dang front end and the fenders aren't small to look over.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by milo30
how tall are you? I am 6'1" and my head touches the t-tops. It wouldn't block my view at all.

Here is a link with some pictures. May help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...s-style-2.html
I'm 5'11''
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 PM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by FlyLS6
I have the L88 cold air induction set up on my '73 with the scoop shown. I'm 6'2" and don't have any problem that I've noticed for all practical purposes. Heck, you already can't see about the first 4' of the dang front end and the fenders aren't small to look over.

Can you post any more pics of your car that show your hood?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Paul, have you already installed the intake, or still running the LS6 until you solve for the hood? If you've already swapped, wondering how much of a difference you've noticed, and if you're going to hang on to the LS6...

And, yes, can you post more pics Fly? That looks nice from what we can see there.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 AM
obas
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I switched to the stinger hood on my '75 and it actually sat lower over the carb.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 AM
FlyLS6
Racer

Default Hood

Today is Sunday and I'll see if I can take a few later today...it's still a little chilly outside.

In the meantime, here's the whole car:

Here is the motor. The car has been in the family since '76, and was previously a one owner. The motor was swapped in, in early '78, and is a a '77 dated LS6 crate motor with '77 dated ....188 open chamber heads; 10.2 compression. The intake is the ....198 L88 with a Holley Street Avenger at this time. The hood was installed along with the motor, of course. The car just clocked 40K original miles. The motor was detuned about 5000 miles ago with a Crane 134242 cam assembly. The old cam, scatter shield, headers, and double pumper were all tossed. I decided to go with the concept of what a factory LS6 might look like in '73. Yea...pretty corny, but I'm an old guy now and enjoy semi-comfortable cruising more than worrying about being the fastest guy on the block.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
FlyLS6
Racer

Default Hood View

I made a few pics of the hood for those who asked.

The next two pics were taken from inside the car, as close to "driving" eye level as I could figure: I'm 6'2".

For the next two, I tried to drop the camera about 3" to try to mimic someone 5'11".

I didn't take a pic of the underside. It's got the "standard" cold air intake box setup.

Hope this helps. I don't know if the Stinger hoods have the cold air capability....maybe in the L88 version. But I never liked the imitation air scoops on the C2s or imitation hood vents on the 427 C3 hoods, and really like the cleanliness of this design. I think I've seen the same hood is still available from Ecklers....or maybe Corvette Central. Can't remember exactly.

If one's concerned about being able to see where the front right fender area is in tight places, this might not be the set up. Just be careful where you're "pointed" :-) .
Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

FWIW, how tall one sits in the saddle isn't a constant ratio of height.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Mexican Bob
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It takes a careful reading of your post to understand that you're NOT saying that you have an L-88 scoop...which is fairly obvious from the photo, but that you're running an L-88 cold air set-up with the "high rise" scoop.

BTW...car looks absolutely fantastic and I love the color. That's the color I'd pick if my interior wasn't already red...thereby making it a PITA (and expensive) to change. FWIW: I'd be tempted to do a pair of skinny red and white pinstripes down the middle

MxB
Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
FlyLS6
Racer

Default Color

Originally Posted by Mexican Bob
It takes a careful reading of your post to understand that you're NOT saying that you have an L-88 scoop...which is fairly obvious from the photo, but that you're running an L-88 cold air set-up with the "high rise" scoop.

BTW...car looks absolutely fantastic and I love the color. That's the color I'd pick if my interior wasn't already red...thereby making it a PITA (and expensive) to change. FWIW: I'd be tempted to do a pair of skinny red and white pinstripes down the middle

MxB
Thanks. No, I wasn't trying to imply I had the L88 hood.

As far as color is concerned, notice from the inside shots I've put a leather rap (www.wheelskins.com) over the original wheel. The original wheel rim is to small for my liking, and so I wanted to put something on it to get a little more diameter and a little more grip. The point is that it's red. I think a red interior in a dark blue car would be stunning. Seems to me on some earlier 'vettes you could get something like that, but I'm not sure. The color is original (but it has been repainted), and is the "Dark Blue" from that year.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
yellow-fever
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Paul, have you already installed the intake, or still running the LS6 until you solve for the hood? If you've already swapped, wondering how much of a difference you've noticed, and if you're going to hang on to the LS6...

And, yes, can you post more pics Fly? That looks nice from what we can see there.
Hey Charlie,

The car is at Dwayne Watson's right now have the Performer RPM intake installed, along with a cam change to a custom grind Comp hydraulic roller (230/236 with .600 lift both sides on a 112 LSA), along with CC Ultra Pro Magnum roller rockers. The LS-6 manifold may be available soon. I'll keep you informed.

Paul
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
yellow-fever
Racer

I made a few pics of the hood for those who asked.

The next two pics were taken from inside the car, as close to "driving" eye level as I could figure: I'm 6'2".

For the next two, I tried to drop the camera about 3" to try to mimic someone 5'11".

I didn't take a pic of the underside. It's got the "standard" cold air intake box setup.

Hope this helps. I don't know if the Stinger hoods have the cold air capability....maybe in the L88 version. But I never liked the imitation air scoops on the C2s or imitation hood vents on the 427 C3 hoods, and really like the cleanliness of this design. I think I've seen the same hood is still available from Ecklers....or maybe Corvette Central. Can't remember exactly.

If one's concerned about being able to see where the front right fender area is in tight places, this might not be the set up. Just be careful where you're "pointed" :-) .

Very helpful! Thank you! Your car looks great.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM
dpw21562
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stinger hood

I put a stinger hood on my "80" and had no vision problems.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:24 PM
yellow 77
3rd Gear

Default looking for a high rise hood for my 77

looking for a high rise hood for my 1977 corvette and i really like the look of yours. i was wondering were you picked your up at?

Get notified of new replies

To Stinger hood for C3: does it block your view?

Quick Reply: Stinger hood for C3: does it block your view?