C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to RS 500 conversion under way

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

Thats good to know that it went pretty smooth. I have a RS500 that is sitting with a bunch of other parts for my 72 auto to 5sp. My only concern is the technical assistance from Keisler.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Gordon, was that a direct bolt on experience or was any cutting for fitment required. I was reading up on the RS vs. TKO and got the impression, based on their collateral, that the RS in most cases on a C3 wouldn't require any cutting. I hope that applies to the 68
Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
Gordon, was that a direct bolt on experience or was any cutting for fitment required. I was reading up on the RS vs. TKO and got the impression, based on their collateral, that the RS in most cases on a C3 wouldn't require any cutting. I hope that applies to the 68
The only cutting is the hole for the shifter which is obvious. The auto shifter does not have a hole where the 5 speed needs to have a hole. Just cut away some of the flooring. They do give you a factory shift boot. Being an auto car it has the removeable crossmember which makes the install a breeze.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 69FASTFUN
Thats good to know that it went pretty smooth. I have a RS500 that is sitting with a bunch of other parts for my 72 auto to 5sp. My only concern is the technical assistance from Keisler.
Never been an issue with me. I have done a bunch of these now so I don't need much but anytime I have called they have been helpful or gotten back to me right away. I have had very good luck with the Keisler products.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I took the car out for a long test drive and it worked very well. Brought it home and parked it for Andy to pick it up. Next day a big puddle of oil. Oh Crap! Come to find out the rear main seal was prett toasted. So last night at 6 I started taking it out. Andy was coming today at noon to pick it up. Well I got it all done by 10:30 this morning and all is well. Andy drove away this afternoon. I'm sure he will post when he gets home. It makes the car a lot more fun to drive and a lot more responsive.

I liked the way the trans shifted and felt. It installed very similar to the TKO trans. The performance is as good if not better. I like the sifter on the RS a little better. I drive a T56 and the shifting is very similar. Either one the TKO or the RS is a huge upgrade and highly recomend doing this if it is in your budget.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...post1580186572

Andy
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
I installed a RS500 Perfect Fit in my '80 last summer. I did not have to cut anything just as they advertise. The only thing "wrong" with the kit was that I had to mount the gear shift lever on the opposite side of the shifter than the instructions said.

I also had difficulty mounting the new cross member. The holes for the long horizontal mounting bolt didn't line up on one side. I think this was due in part to installer error (mine). I realized that one of two jack stands on one side of the car was 2 notches different from the opposite jack stand. I think that caused just enough twisting to throw the holes out of alignment.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
The only cutting is the hole for the shifter which is obvious. The auto shifter does not have a hole where the 5 speed needs to have a hole. Just cut away some of the flooring. They do give you a factory shift boot. Being an auto car it has the removeable crossmember which makes the install a breeze.
Did you happen to take a picture of the hole you cut? I'm working on my swap right now and I also have a factory lower shift boot and I don't see how it could work with the way the indent in the tunnel is shaped.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Ran into the same problem on my swap.I made an aluminum plate that covered the hole in the floor and cut that plate to fit the lower shifter boot.Lousy pic hope this helps....
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

that pic does help, thanks.
So did you just cut the whole indent in the tunnel out?

also, does this metal support bracket in front of where the hole will be cut interfere with the shifting?

Last edited by qwank; 03-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Didn't cut the whole indent out.[IMG][/IMG]
My console was a little different and had no bracket like yours has.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the pics man!
yeah, no bracket on your year car, but the indent looks the same to me.

Quick Reply: Auto to RS 500 conversion under way