C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 09:14 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default [HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?!

Holley tech support hasn't helped me that much. I have a Holley 750 DP and the universal solenoid and bracket. This is so that when the AC comes on, the solenoid will bump up the idle speed.

I've looked at the exploded view of my carb on holley's website, but it doesn't show where the bracket screws into or how the solenoid does it's job. The first holley tech said that the parts come with instructions, they do not. The second holley tech said that "look on the drivers side of the carb and it will be obvious how to install it once you find the holes where the bracket screws into", and it's not obvious at all. The carb is already installed on my vette, so does this throttle bracket replace something that's already on there? My mechanic said my carb has been modified to run alcohol, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the throttle cable/solenoid install.

There are two holes on the carb plate (is that the right part name?) that line up with the throttle bracket holes. But the holes have metal underneath them and you can't screw anything into it. Also, if I were to somehow screw the bracket in there, it's not lining up how the holley exploded view shows it.

Does anyone have some pictures to help me? Maybe even a comparison with an different brand of carb so I can get a general idea of what to do? I'd hate to ask my mechanic to do this for me; it seems so simple to install. Here are some links to what I've been dealing with:

Holley's exploded view of the carb, item # 9, 10, 11, 12 on the diagram:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer.../f4150-60.html

Bracket & Screws:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...MSCA/20-9.html

Solenoid:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SCA/46-74.html
Old 05-15-2002, 10:34 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?! (FroDaddy)

ttt
Old 05-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's tough without seeing one already installed, but I'll give it a shot. On most holleys (and many other carbs), the solenoid either uses the mounting stud (5/16 w/a nut) and then the bracket has a locating pin that fits one of those holes your seeng. Others (the factory 780 on my Ford) use a small (3/8 or 1/4 hex head) self tapping screw that goes into one of the small holes, again with a locating pin on the bracket. I'd love to see a nice closeup picture of that solenoid and bracket! I want to put one on my 3x2 for the A/C, and the originals are extinct.

Hans
Old 05-15-2002, 11:10 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, just got a look at the pictures of the bracket and solenoid. I've never seen them mounted with those type screws, so I don't know whats up with that, but the bracket looks similar to most applications. Sollenoid is typical.

How about cutting the bracket and re-welding it to suit your specific application?

Hans

[Modified by Wrencher, 9:22 AM 5/15/2002]
Old 05-16-2002, 10:10 AM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?! (Wrencher)

Thanks Wrencher..

Can anyone else pitch in?
Old 05-16-2002, 09:19 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Welp, we started "fabricating" a bracket today. The bracket is going to be mounted to the intake manifold and the solenoid is going to push against the bottom of the throttle arm instead of the throttle lever extension (like in the diagram). Should work fine and be mostly hidden by the air cleaner.

Bubba?

Get notified of new replies

To [HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?!

Quick Reply: [HELP NEEDED] Throttle Solenoid/Bracket install?!?!