C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons of block hugger headders?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default pros and cons of block hugger headders?

I am going to run a jeep sterering box on my 1980 4 speed car with a new stroker motor. the problem is that the headders do not want to fit. i have been looking for options and all i can find are "block hugger" headers. how much am i giving up by running these?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
I am going to run a jeep sterering box on my 1980 4 speed car with a new stroker motor. the problem is that the headders do not want to fit. i have been looking for options and all i can find are "block hugger" headers. how much am i giving up by running these?

Tim, there will be a loss switching to huggers from long tube but manufacturer is key. Large primaries and smooth round bends will help make the loss less painful. Cheap Ebay creations will be your biggest losers. I have limited experiences with huggers but heard that McJack's makes some of the best. I also find it hard to believe though that others with the Jeep boxes haven't still been able to use long tube headers in these cars so hopefully someone will have that combination and will be able to give you a better answer.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

any other ideas?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Must be some strange headers. my Borgeson box cleared fine even with a big block, .600" raised port heads and 2-1/8" Hookers.

If you can stay with a set of long tubes you'll be better off.

JIM
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

it was a jaeep box and i had to move it out from the frame rail about 1" for it to line up with the steering. running a rag joint.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd rather invest in a correct fitting box vs re-engineering the exhaust system to work around kludged box install.
If you had to move the box out 1" to fit, what does that do to all the other steering geometry? The pitman shaft is now in the wrong place so the center link is in the wrong place etc..

A correct fitting box will cost no more than what you're going to spend on the exhaust to fit it so why do it?

Just my .02
Elm
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

too late. i ordered the block huggers...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tyancey00
too late. i ordered the block huggers...
Send em' back and exchange it for a new steering box
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

which did you order? speedway has some that are not expensive but i wonder if anyone has used them
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

i just grabed the Jeg's brand. 125.00 for the set... I think it will be fine. it is not doing to see a lot of top end runs.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

There are no pros to running them.
They are a lazy way of basically wasting money.
But so is installing a steering box off a jeep that you have to move out an inch, so it kind of all goes together.
Enjoy your creation man.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the block headers say in their description that they won't clear stock motor mounts and other suspersion parts. I found out the hard way after I got a set and tried to install them.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Sanderson's Headers

G'day,

I have a Borgeson box in my '74 and was given a set of stainless headers. Trouble is, the two middle pipes came out too far and the front one (cylinder #3) interfered with the steering box. I'm sure it would have hit a factory box also.

So I bought some Sanderson block huggers and they really live up to their name. I had to remove the plug wire shielding as the headers wouldn't fit with them on. So I had to move my plug wires up and they now run along the rocker covers and drop to the plugs.

I'm sure that someone must make some block huggers that stick out a bit further than the Sandersons so that you can retain the plug shielding, but I'm happier that the plug leads are now easier to access.

Re paragraph one above, I spoke to a representative of a major header manufacturer at the SEMA Show last year and told him that many generic SBC headers often hit or come very close to the steering box when fitted to a Corvette. Particularly the #3 pipe. I suggested that he investigate this and see if it was worthwhile to make a "Corvette special" set of headers where the two centre pipes were angled backwards (driver's side) to clear the steering box.

On the passenger side, this "backward" angle would of course face forward, but this would give more clearance in front of the starter motor than current headers. This would have two benefits; easier removal of the starter and less heat soak into the starter. He thanked me for my input and said that he would discuss it back at the office.

But back to the OP. As others have said, there is something wrong with your car if you had to space the Jeep box one inch out from the frame to align with the steering shaft. I would suggest that you take the car to a respected Corvette mechanic and seek his guidance before you do any dismantling of your exhaust.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 PM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well the block huggers worked like a charm. The jeep box works great and all is well with the worlds. I like it when I can do it my own way. I had the front end aligned and they loved it...

Get notified of new replies

To pros and cons of block hugger headders?

Quick Reply: pros and cons of block hugger headders?