C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp turns on when I disconnect power

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 AM
rjag
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp turns on when I disconnect power

I am installing an aftermarket corvette stereo. I have the amp hooked up to the positive top post of my battery and the stereo hooked up to a constant power fuse. I have the amp turn with the ignition switch (I have attached the remote wire to the accessory radio wire so when I turn the key the amp turns on). Everything works fine with the car battery on. I can turn off the stereo and amp without a problem. However when I use the kill switch (which i have hooked up to the negative side post of my battery) my amp turns on. Why? and is it okay to have the kill switch hooked up to the negative side of my battery? Would changing my negative top post amp wire to the side post with the kill switch solve this problem?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,169 Likes on 2,096 Posts

If it's a dual post battery, is anything hooked to the other negative post (the one without the switch)?
If there is anything on that other post, the amp may be sort of back-feeding power through the other line

Mooser
Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 AM
rjag
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
If it's a dual post battery, is anything hooked to the other negative post (the one without the switch)?
Mooser
My Amp is hooked up to the top without the kill switch.
The rest of the car is hooked up with the kill switch on the side post.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

Any electronics still connected will go to the positive voltage when you disconnect the negative lead. The head unit will start to output a voltage on the turn on lead since the head unit has a constant battery feed. You have to disconnect the positive wire.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,169 Likes on 2,096 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Any electronics still connected will go to the positive voltage when you disconnect the negative lead. The head unit will start to output a voltage on the turn on lead since the head unit has a constant battery feed. You have to disconnect the positive wire.

Seen this before, using both sets of posts (top and side) can cause all sorts of weird problems.
If you want to switch the negative, move the stereo negative to the switch and then you can leave the positives if you want.
Mooser

Get notified of new replies

To Amp turns on when I disconnect power

Quick Reply: Amp turns on when I disconnect power