C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recessed exhaust tips on newer C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recessed exhaust tips on newer C3's?

I am trying to find an exhaust tip look that I like for my 74, but nothing really jumps out at me. I like the straight back look, but the rear of our cars leaves a lot of the exhaust exposed. I really like to flush or recessed look of the early C3's, but never saw them on a all fiberglass rear end.

Has anyone done a custom recessed exhaust to the rear of a 74 and newer? I took the spare tire carrier off my car, so I have lots of room to play.

I thought about cutting the fiberglass, welding up some inserts and installed the square tips on my 74... The cut and exhaust should be straight forward, but I dont know how I would get the custom trim bezels to stay put and look clean.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Curious to see what you come up with.

I don't like the way the later C3s exhaust pipes just stick out from below either. It looks like an afterthought ... as in, oh crap we forgot this car needs an exhaust system.

I've also considering cutting ports through the rear and poking the pipes through, but the problem with that is it looks like crap if the pipes get even slightly misaligned. So I might end up doing something like the Audi R8 or Lexus ISF for example which has "fake" exhaust ports through the rear and the actual tailpipe ends right behind them. And I'm sure I'd catch a ton of flack for that.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Right now, I have straight pipes with baffles, no mufflers. Our cars are technically high in the rear and you see way to much of the muffler for my liking. So all you see of my car are the pipes sneaking under the swing arms and then the two turn down tips.. My fear is that if I dont like it, or if I screw it up, I now have to do body work... Which I do not want to do..

Someone on here did have a pic of tips that came straight out, like a fox body mustang. Looked decent.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Brooklinite
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Somebody on this forum had put 70-73 style exhaust tips in the bumper of a later C3. I think it was a 75 convertible, light green. I don't know who it was but maybe someone else will chime in.

I thought it looked great.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
LongIsland C3
Instructor

Good Thread. I'm actually agonizing over the same thing with my 80 build. I'm thinking of cutting the tailpipes almost even with the rear valance,maybe putting on a chrome extension to cover the cut,that just peeks out slightly.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

So here's a pic of what I'm talking about...

check out the page

http://www.autospies.com/news/Pictur...st-tips-22601/

It's a newer trend that was started by high end sports cars but is gradually trickling down to lower end stuff (e.g. MazdaSpeed 6). And it's definitely a look that's catching a lot of flak, but personally I think it's genius. It opens up more possibilities for the shape and placement of exhaust ports, and it doesn't look like azz when the pipes get out of alignment (which they all do eventually).
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Is that what you were thinking of doing on your Vette?

Only suggestion I have is to make sure the bezel goes inward (under the car) a few inches. So from any angle, it has depth. Since out cars are somewhat pointed in the rear (as compared to the newer fat back cars with low valances) I am not sure how they will look completely surrounded by body. My other fear is, that if I were to cut a notch in the rear to look like the 73 and earlier, will it weaken the center part of the bumper since it is basically just hanging there.. This mught be a good project if someone has a spare rear just sitting around. Hate to cut the one on my car to find out that it dosent look right.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
ragtag74
Racer

Default exhaust

I have side pipes.Solved the whole problem of exhaust tips,but if I were to have under car pipes,I thought about chambered exhaust with the pipes coming out straight side by side on upward angle to exit under the tag.This would be similar to early Jags.Would be doable since you nor I have a spare tire tub. John
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i think gkull? has a 79 tag rdracer that has the best rear exit I've seen maybe he can post the picture.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to be different as well when I did this, I think it turned out alright. instead of cutting into the rear bumper I went with a center mount like the newer C5&6's but used a tip from the early C3's.

I used the early C3 stainless exhaust tips that I found at Summit and a Dyno Max 2 in 2 out muffler, it also has a great sound, especially with an LS2 breathing through it.

Riggs
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks great !
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Xterrable
Racer

Heck yeah. Love the pics. Well done!

My original idea came while I was behind a C5 Vette and I had the same thought that you did. I liked the center exhaust. It would have looked perfect if the license plate area was higher than the rest of the bumper. I diditn think it would right with the bumpers how they are. But you proved me wrong!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
gillonjd
Heel & Toe

Default C6 Tips with Recessed Flowmaster

I wanted something a little different than using traditional turndown, but do not like to see mufflers. I decided to go with recessed mufflers in spare tire area and then added C6 Flowmaster tips turned down slightly.

Dave

Last edited by gillonjd; 12-05-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Nicely done, it looks very different than with them closer to the outside as the originals.
Very cool custom touch to the rear of the car.

Riggs
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
gillonjd
Heel & Toe

Thanks Riggs!

I have admired your 74 for some time and continue to work on mine as time permits. I love your unique exhaust as well and it was what gave me the idea to utilize the spare tire space for mufflers.

I am awaiting new wheels as soon as Intro gets them made (hopefully January). I went with 18x8 (4.25BS) with 245/45-18 up front and a 19x10 (5.5BS) with a 285/40-19 on the rear. Any thoughts on what I need to do to get ready other than e-brake mount relocate? I am pushing the diameter in rear up to 28" as I really like the raked front look and don't want to lower the car too much in front (currently 550# lowered front coils and 8" rear bolts/7 leaf spring with Bilstein sport all around). I want to the larger rear diameter to fill the fender well a little more.

Worst case I would drop to 35 series in rear (and 40 in front) which puts me back close to 27" OD and this would be the same rear tire as new C6 which would make for some more convenient/affordable tire choices. The 285/40-19 is not that common.

Would greatly appreciate your comments and if you foresee any issues with larger rear OD based on your experience.

Dave
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Xterrable

This mught be a good project if someone has a spare rear just sitting around. Hate to cut the one on my car to find out that it dosent look right.
You guys are in luck. I recently started a thread on this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...aust-exit.html

My bumper was damaged in an accident and I've already ordered a new one. Insurance company is paying for this project. My plan is to use the damaged rear end to try some ideas and if it doesn't work out it won't matter. I have a 75 but my rear bumper is a 80-82 style fiberglass. My metal bumper is in the way so if I don't completely remove it and do what Bee Jay did I'm going to have to at least modify it. I was wanting to go with the 73 look but since the angle of the bottom of the bumper isn't sloped like a 73 I don't think the stock bezels would look right. Now I'm leaning towards an exit style similiar to the new cadillacs using the double oval tips. Also, I want to be able to still use my spare tire carrier so I plan to tuck the mufflers similar to that. I'm open to suggestions and we will see how it looks.

Get notified of new replies

To Recessed exhaust tips on newer C3's?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Originally Posted by gillonjd
Thanks Riggs!

I have admired your 74 for some time and continue to work on mine as time permits. I love your unique exhaust as well and it was what gave me the idea to utilize the spare tire space for mufflers.

I am awaiting new wheels as soon as Intro gets them made (hopefully January). I went with 18x8 (4.25BS) with 245/45-18 up front and a 19x10 (5.5BS) with a 285/40-19 on the rear. Any thoughts on what I need to do to get ready other than e-brake mount relocate? I am pushing the diameter in rear up to 28" as I really like the raked front look and don't want to lower the car too much in front (currently 550# lowered front coils and 8" rear bolts/7 leaf spring with Bilstein sport all around). I want to the larger rear diameter to fill the fender well a little more.

Worst case I would drop to 35 series in rear (and 40 in front) which puts me back close to 27" OD and this would be the same rear tire as new C6 which would make for some more convenient/affordable tire choices. The 285/40-19 is not that common.

Would greatly appreciate your comments and if you foresee any issues with larger rear OD based on your experience.

Dave
Your e brake should be the only thing you have to move.
As far as the tire sizes, watch that the side wall height in the front is not larger than the rear, that will make the stance of the car look odd. I have seen a few rides like this and it very looks bad.

Riggs.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i think gkull? has a 79 tag rdracer that has the best rear exit I've seen maybe he can post the picture.
Originally Posted by Brooklinite
Somebody on this forum had put 70-73 style exhaust tips in the bumper of a later C3. I think it was a 75 convertible, light green. I don't know who it was but maybe someone else will chime in.

I thought it looked great.
You are right. The forum members forum name is ahoover. Not a fan of his mod, his vehicle has a 80-82 bumper on it.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 12-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Vince'82
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

here are some pics I took while building the exhaust on my 82

tips are stainless dual 3in.

I'm using Magnaflow mufflers.

cutouts hangs too low so I'll rebuild the under-diff part of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Recessed exhaust tips on newer C3's?