C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake vacuum question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
yellovette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake vacuum question

I checked my vacuum yesterday while setting my idle mixture and got a steady needle at 12". Most manuals I've read say you should have 17 to 20 inches of vacuum. Wouldn't a performance cam with a certain amount of valve overlap account for a lower vacuum reading at curb idle.

Thx.

YV
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Jack Wood
Instructor

Default Using the ported vacuum below the throttle blades?

Timed vacuum above the blades will always be less and was used for emissions purposes only. Longer duration cams will result in less vacuum as I recall.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
redstingray74
Advanced

Another consideration is Altitude . I don't know yours but here in Central Oregon I'm at
4575 ft. and vacuum is pretty low on my 74 L82. I'm lucky with this cam to get 14
or 15 inches at idle . ( thats pure manifold vacuum with a fitting in manifold )
You also get to run a lot more advance at high areas too.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:35 PM
yellovette
Instructor

Originally Posted by redstingray74
Another consideration is Altitude . I don't know yours but here in Central Oregon I'm at
4575 ft. and vacuum is pretty low on my 74 L82. I'm lucky with this cam to get 14
or 15 inches at idle . ( thats pure manifold vacuum with a fitting in manifold )
You also get to run a lot more advance at high areas too.
Yup, never thought of altitude, but I live at a ski resort up a mountain so there will be some effect from that. BTW I am measuring full intake, not timed, (above the blades). I must say, the motor is running absolutely fine, no hesitation on snap acceleration.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake vacuum question

Quick Reply: Intake vacuum question