C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator support Alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
efather
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator support Alignment??

I am finally doing initial body work now that I have body panel and front clip re-bonded. I also have bonded a new left inner fender since it was broke, and "fixed" by a previous owner.

before I bonded the front clip and panels, I leveled the body and squared it up to the frame. I did torque all body bolts to 100lbs prior to the bonding.

So heres the issue/question.

I am placing the radiator support on so I dont need to keep supporting the nose with my engine hoist. The support is a tight fit between the fenders without spaces. The 2 holes in the bottom of the radiator support do not exactly line up with the holdes int he front cross member. it is about a 1/2 bolt off.

I have loosened the front cross member from the frame extensions and even loosened the frame extensions from the frame. but still they wont align.

Do I need to back off the body bolts a hair to give the body a little plat and try to get them aligned that way? essentially the radiator support needs to move toward the driver side some how.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 PM
efather
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well sometimes you need to just step away and thing about it. My goodness. I noticed the left holewas forward and right, the right was just to the right.

So as it turns out I need to pivot the body just a bit on the right rear most body mount. that swung the nose around just enough to align those holes.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice looking custom radiator mounts, as a word of caution - It looks like there isn't much room for expansion and contraction of the radiator in the mount. The original ones had rubber on them to absorb expansion and contraction.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator support Alignment??

Quick Reply: Radiator support Alignment??