C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust system, HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default exhaust system, HP gain?

The previous owner of my '71 LT-1 put the wrong exhaust on the car (currently has 2'' pipes instead of 2 1/2''). The car is not as quick as it should be, and i'm not sure if I put the correct exhaust system on if there will be a noticeable performance improvement...or perhaps the original motor (never rebuilt) is just showing its age.

Thanks.

Paul
Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Ofcourse the 2" pipes and probably crappy mufflers are hurting power....How much is hard to say.. On a stock motor it may be 20-30 rwhp or less.... A lot depends on if it has the stock exhaust manifolds or not as they are the main restriction.

I would do a nice mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, x pipe and good flowing straight through mufflers like Dynomax Ultra Flows or Magnaflow. Its worth the investment... Then if you end up refreshing the engine down the road, the exhaust is already done and you will really benefit from it then.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Ofcourse the 2" pipes and probably crappy mufflers are hurting power....How much is hard to say.. On a stock motor it may be 20-30 rwhp or less.... A lot depends on if it has the stock exhaust manifolds or not as they are the main restriction.

I would do a nice mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, x pipe and good flowing straight through mufflers like Dynomax Ultra Flows or Magnaflow. Its worth the investment... Then if you end up refreshing the engine down the road, the exhaust is already done and you will really benefit from it then.
20-30 rwhp on an otherwise original LT1 would be quite noticeable... around the range of a 10% power gain.

I can tell you going from 2.25 to 2.5" on my L48 was a BIG improvement... going to headers bigger still. The effect on an LT1 would by comparison be greater.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 AM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys. The car has the stock manifolds, so i would probably get the correct exhaust for the car which has the 2'' pipe that opens up to 2 1/2 inch just below the manifolds. Sounds like it's worth the investment.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Mr Ski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul
I have a stock 71 LTI
I just put on headers and magnaflow exhaust
The horespower and off the line performance has certainly increased
I cannot tell you by how much, but certainly has more jump and worth the investment
Hope this helps
Fun Car!!

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust system, HP gain?

Quick Reply: exhaust system, HP gain?