C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Use Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials On The Street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Anybody Use Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials On The Street?

For the last several years I've been running Nitto NT555R Drag Radials out back on my 69 and it's now time to get new tires. I've been happy with them and I know that overall they are a better street tire than MTs. In fact, if they came in 255/60/15 I'd get them without hesitation. The MT ET Street Radials come in 255/60/15 and that size would be ideal for my car. I know they hook very well but- are they truly a usable tire for normal driving and cruising?

I tend to use the car for short hops with a rare local trip on highways and it's a fair weather car only. The MT rep I talked to yesterday said that they don't even have a speed rating because they are designed to get you to the drag strip, down the track, and back home. The implication was that they aren't a great option for normal street use but I'd like to hear from anybody who has personal experience with them or knows somebody who has. Any feedback would be great.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

use them full time. Honestly I cannot tell a difference between them and the reg ol street tires as far as manners go on/off the fwy.
Turns great no noise etc etc. Nothing funny going on.
These are good pieces.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Les
Race Director

Thanks. What air pressure do you run on the street?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

I run the Nitto's on my Grand National.....275/50/15 they are a really good tire all around full tread works well in the rain they hook good once you get some heat in them and you can really get some milage out of them.

I run the Micky T's on the vett 325/50/15......I went with the Micky's cause they do hook better than the Nittos and better than the BFG drag radilas which I used to have.

They are great on the highway and hook very hard at the track and on the street.....I have a large pile of broken rear end parts because they hook so well

In the rain they are not good at all......my car is strickly to car shows puttin around town and down the strip.

I actually had my car at Road Atlanta a few years ago and these tires did way better than I though.....they held corners very well and was actually able to get some decent drifts throught the turns which really shocked me.

I run them at 30psi on the street and about 18-20 at the track
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Ru ntypical pressure about 32ish no less than 30
Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Les
Race Director

Good info- thanks to both of you. Based on what you've said they should work just fine for what I do.

Amelio, I have a feeling that your power level is way more serious than mine. Hopefully I can avoid making a pile of broken parts
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I have 295 55 15 MTs on mine. Haven't logged a lot of miles yet, but I can tell no difference between the P 295 50 15 street tires I ran before,...with one huge exception. I used to shift into second, and then hit the throttle hard ,..just for fun, and do the hula. Rear dancing all over. Not any more......The grip is amazing!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I have 295 55 15 MTs on mine. Haven't logged a lot of miles yet, but I can tell no difference between the P 295 50 15 street tires I ran before,...with one huge exception. I used to shift into second, and then hit the throttle hard ,..just for fun, and do the hula. Rear dancing all over. Not any more......The grip is amazing!
That's just what I want to hear. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Les
Good info- thanks to both of you. Based on what you've said they should work just fine for what I do.

Amelio, I have a feeling that your power level is way more serious than mine. Hopefully I can avoid making a pile of broken parts
LOL well I kinda smile when I break things like rear end parts cause it means I am making decent power I dont have enough cash to buy the rear setup I need to I fix things as they break.

you will like them you wont be disapointed!

The grip is great.....I can spin them on the street no problem but it is what I call a controlled spin....even though they are spinning the car is moving not like with a regular radial. They also recover very well they only spin for a car length or two when I hit second but like I said the car is really moving......That is on the street with 30 psi....at the track dropping 10psi its a different story.....really good traction=multiple broken spindles,drive flanges,pinion snubber bracket etc....

Its a great tire just be very careful if you get caught in the rain.....I have been caught a few times and I dont drive more than about 20-25mph in heavy rain the rear gets loose.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

First time I drove mine after a 10 yr frame off I got caught in a torrential downpour on the fwy at night. No wipers either
Oh well thats what cars are for right?!

Fortunately no hydroplaning for me kept it around 50-60 no drama.

Youll like them Les, they arent like the old bias ply Mickeys that squirm and move around when youre on the fwy. Doesnt grab grooves is what Im sayin I suppose.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Amelio
LOL well I kinda smile when I break things like rear end parts cause it means I am making decent power I dont have enough cash to buy the rear setup I need to I fix things as they break.

you will like them you wont be disapointed!

The grip is great.....I can spin them on the street no problem but it is what I call a controlled spin....even though they are spinning the car is moving not like with a regular radial. They also recover very well they only spin for a car length or two when I hit second but like I said the car is really moving......That is on the street with 30 psi....at the track dropping 10psi its a different story.....really good traction=multiple broken spindles,drive flanges,pinion snubber bracket etc....

Its a great tire just be very careful if you get caught in the rain.....I have been caught a few times and I dont drive more than about 20-25mph in heavy rain the rear gets loose.
Well, the ETs will probably dead hook for me on the street. I think my Nittos are timed out because they have plenty of tread but I can smoke 'em without effort. As for the rain, I'm pretty selective about when I take the car out and it's never all that far from home. Now, go easy on that drivetrain!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
First time I drove mine after a 10 yr frame off I got caught in a torrential downpour on the fwy at night. No wipers either
Oh well thats what cars are for right?!

Fortunately no hydroplaning for me kept it around 50-60 no drama.

Youll like them Les, they arent like the old bias ply Mickeys that squirm and move around when youre on the fwy. Doesnt grab grooves is what Im sayin I suppose.
You must have had a pretty good pucker factor on that first drive! There are enough things on your mind at times like that without having a downpour to deal with. Years ago when I was drag racing this Vette I ran MT Sportsman Pros on the back and although my trap speed wasn't too crazy (112+ MPH) the car was dancing pretty bad at the far end. Scared the poo outta me a couple of times...but I never backed off! I'm looking forward to running on these ETs.

I appreciate the info guys. I'll buy them next week.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you use them all the time the only concern is water on the road. As some said they do wiggle a bit and it takes some getting use to.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Les
Race Director

I just ordered the tires tonight. Now, did any of you do any form of heat cycling or break in procedure? If so, could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Les
I just ordered the tires tonight. Now, did any of you do any form of heat cycling or break in procedure? If so, could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.
I normally just do one big smokey burnout and they are good from there. When I race it just takes a small burnout to put some heat in the tires.

Last edited by Sigforty; 05-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Les
I did nothing but bolt them on.....the car saw a good amount of street use before I made it to the track....a small first gear warm up is all they need.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Les
Race Director

Thanks again guys. I couldn't call MT last night so that's why I asked the question here. I just talked to one of their techs this morning and he said the first couple of passes break them in. Other than that it's a non-issue regarding normal driving prior to those passes.

Sigforty, I may hit my favorite private road and use your procedure anyway- I wouldn't want to get to the track without some experience with the tires, right?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks again guys. I couldn't call MT last night so that's why I asked the question here. I just talked to one of their techs this morning and he said the first couple of passes break them in. Other than that it's a non-issue regarding normal driving prior to those passes.

Sigforty, I may hit my favorite private road and use your procedure anyway- I wouldn't want to get to the track without some experience with the tires, right?
Nice! The only downside about doing at the track is you may kill the car depending on your burnout skill. I personally use a line lock. It makes things real easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody Use Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials On The Street?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Nice! The only downside about doing at the track is you may kill the car depending on your burnout skill. I personally use a line lock. It makes things real easy.
Yep, I have a line lock. However, I've never used it at the track and I've never used a water box before either. So, I'll have a couple of new elements to work into my starting line routine. Could be good for a laugh or two.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I have run the ET Street radials full time on my 71. They drive ok, they are a little more squirrely in turns then the Nitto 555Rs, I am sure the sidewalls are softer... Also they are horrible in the rain, if you get caught in rain, slow the hell down or even stop... Especially once they are under 50% tread left. Lastly they will wear out fast as a ***** if you drive them on the highway a lot.... I burned through a set in 1500 street miles and 35 passes.

That being said, you can't argue with how they work.... 20 mph roll they dead hook on my car.

Run them at 25 psi to keep an even wear pattern on them, drop em to 18 psi or so to race.. I also run the 255/60s. I just bought a new set to race on but run the 275/60 Nitto 555Rs for street driving. I usually will bolt a new set on the car, take an easy 20 mile hwy drive on them, then come home and let them sit til the next day, then let'r rip.... Like one good heat cycle but not over heating them.

You'll like how they work at the track Les...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I have run the ET Street radials full time on my 71. They drive ok, they are a little more squirrely in turns then the Nitto 555Rs, I am sure the sidewalls are softer... Also they are horrible in the rain, if you get caught in rain, slow the hell down or even stop... Especially once they are under 50% tread left. Lastly they will wear out fast as a ***** if you drive them on the highway a lot.... I burned through a set in 1500 street miles and 35 passes.

That being said, you can't argue with how they work.... 20 mph roll they dead hook on my car.

Run them at 25 psi to keep an even wear pattern on them, drop em to 18 psi or so to race.. I also run the 255/60s. I just bought a new set to race on but run the 275/60 Nitto 555Rs for street driving. I usually will bolt a new set on the car, take an easy 20 mile hwy drive on them, then come home and let them sit til the next day, then let'r rip.... Like one good heat cycle but not over heating them.

You'll like how they work at the track Les...
Thanks Alan, good info as always. If they dead hook for you I'll be good as gold! After I get them mounted I'll have to drive about 15-20 miles anyway and then will let it sit for a day or two.

Quick Reply: Anybody Use Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials On The Street?