C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End upgrades??

Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear End upgrades??

So my rear diff. is leaking, also rear wheel bearing need to be changed. I was told today to rebuild the whole rear end would be $2,500 parts and labor.

Now before I rebuild a stock rear end...and pay 2500 for it...what upgrade options do I have??? I don't know too much about re-gearing etc....

But I would love I more modern ride, would love a little more power...just let me know what options I have I guess...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
jwbwx1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2500 is a lot. DIY for way less.

Replacment Diff $850+ shipping. Mine was $1000 after shipping my old one there for repair. Call Gary at Vtech. Never met the guy before but very pleased.

http://www.vtechcorvette.com/index.html.

Spring was cheap as well. $150 I think.

New Shocks $80

Local mechanic sandblasted everything for 50 dollars.

All done in my garage with a few friends watching me struggle to get the crossmember off. Pain in the butt, butt rewarding when done.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Dose11
Drifting

2500 is a lot for an entirely rebuilt rear end??

Wheel bearings changed out, Rear Diff rebuilt, trailing arms, bushings, E brake stuff fixed, Sand blasted, Painted/Coated etc... installed??

From what I hear the wheel bearing themselves are a Bear to do properly and that you need all sorts of tools to complete...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dose--

Paid $1100 to get diff rebuilt to include new clutch pack, half shafts sandblasted and new u-joints installed, trailing arms sandblasted and rebuilt... The $1100 included parts as well...

Contact Tracdogg2 (Mike) as he does this work as well... He's in Texas, so shipping will probably be substantial...

Rogman
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Anyone know of the places the sell the rebuilt diff, then credit you back some when you ship yours back?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Thanks Rog, yeah I have been told about Mike...I just don't think I am ready to be without my car for that long yet lol. I am thinking I will have the wheel bearings changed, then watch the diff, and then do the whole rear come winter.

I just waited a whole year to enjoy a corvette for the summer...I'm not taking my rear end apart and shipping it of now....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dose11
Thanks Rog, yeah I have been told about Mike...I just don't think I am ready to be without my car for that long yet lol. I am thinking I will have the wheel bearings changed, then watch the diff, and then do the whole rear come winter.

I just waited a whole year to enjoy a corvette for the summer...I'm not taking my rear end apart and shipping it of now....
Stop a minute and call me tomorrow - PM me for the number.
I JUST got done the same tasks on mine. And I live close to you.

-W (paying it forward a bit)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy a replacement off Craigslist list and send it off for rebuilding. This comming from a guy who owns 8 differentials.....
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbwx1
Call Gary at Vtech. Never met the guy before but very pleased.

http://www.vtechcorvette.com/index.html.
I have met Gary...great guy, easy to work with, and knows his stuff! Although I have not purchased a rear diff from him, I have purchased two sets of trailing arms. Both were awesome and set up very well. Price was very reasonable also. You can usually catch him at the Bloomington show and probably a few other places. I know he has put on some seminars on rebuilding diffs and trailing arms in the past, but not sure if he still does any of that. Either way, you can't go wrong! Just thought I would pass along my two cents.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know of the places the sell the rebuilt diff, then credit you back some when you ship yours back?
http://ikerds.com/

But it's going to be a stock unit not a bulletproof one like tracdogg will build.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Buy a replacement off Craigslist list and send it off for rebuilding. This comming from a guy who owns 8 differentials.....
Can I ask why you own 8 diff's??? Trying to sell any???
Originally Posted by spdrcr29
I have met Gary...great guy, easy to work with, and knows his stuff! Although I have not purchased a rear diff from him, I have purchased two sets of trailing arms. Both were awesome and set up very well. Price was very reasonable also. You can usually catch him at the Bloomington show and probably a few other places. I know he has put on some seminars on rebuilding diffs and trailing arms in the past, but not sure if he still does any of that. Either way, you can't go wrong! Just thought I would pass along my two cents.
Thanks For the info

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
http://ikerds.com/

But it's going to be a stock unit not a bulletproof one like tracdogg will build.Damnit... I keep hearing Mike is the best... I hate hearing someone is the best and then going somewhere else!!!!
If I can hold out til winter I might be giving Tracdogg a call!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Dose--

You're preaching to the choir... I bought mine to drive, and have a total of about 40 feet of driving done in 10 months... Rear diff and power steering leaking has led me to a total rebuild... Arrggghhh!!! Enjoy it for awhile...

Rogman
Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike has mine now.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by rogman16
Dose--

You're preaching to the choir... I bought mine to drive, and have a total of about 40 feet of driving done in 10 months... Rear diff and power steering leaking has led me to a total rebuild... Arrggghhh!!! Enjoy it for awhile...

Rogman
I know it. That's what I am afraid of! I just want to enjoy the car for a while. The other day I was trying to figure out where there was a short, because the radio will work and then it won't...and I almost took the entire dash off...I caught myself right when I was about to start and laughed..."Nope, not gonna happen...no while I'm at it's"...I have a bad feeling I almost started to redo my whole interior

So I don't want to get into any real projects...until I HAVE TO, or this winter.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End upgrades??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End upgrades??