C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Reservoir and hydroboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Remote Reservoir and hydroboost

I am searching for the correct reservoir for my hydroboost and power steering fluid. I have an aftermarket pump with my March system that comes with a remote reservoir with only one place for an inlet and one for outlet. With hydroboost you need two return fittings on the reservoir. I also heard that the March reservoir isn't big enough for hydroboost and ps fluid and it does allow for aerated fluid to go out. I have searched the net and found a few at around $200, can you guys share what you are useing, hopefully costing a lot less. Here's a link of the best reservoir I've found.

Rob

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...st-brakes.html
Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't care who says what, just T off the return lines with a 3/8 T from your hardware outlet, it works fine, no issues.....

Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrvette
I don't care who says what, just T off the return lines with a 3/8 T from your hardware outlet, it works fine, no issues.....

I do care what people who have experienced my concern have to say. I would like to get it right the first time since new lines would have to be made if it doesn't work. Get it?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just used a brass T in both of my hydroboost equipped cars and they both perform very well, so yes, just use a brass T and you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
David_at_Triumph
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the tee also. I did orient the tee so that the steering flow goes straight thru and the hydroboost comes off the side. The tee is connected right at the reservoir inlet. I did also drill out the return fitting (barb) in the hydroboost, mine was really small. I have had no problems either.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by David_at_Triumph
I used the tee also. I did orient the tee so that the steering flow goes straight thru and the hydroboost comes off the side. The tee is connected right at the reservoir inlet. I did also drill out the return fitting (barb) in the hydroboost, mine was really small. I have had no problems either.
Because I used lightly modified stock lines from whatever install the rack and HB came out of, I never gave it a thought, but my car been street driven quickly for some 5 years now....and the T return fitting recommended above is just the opposite....easier plumbing and never missed a beat.....

I have the remote reservoir mounted under the end of the master cyl....on the frame, but I have serp drive off a '88-91? vette only been there for 17 years now on the drive/pump and later intros of the rack 10 years ago, and the HB maybe 5 years ago....

Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

The Hydroboost (aka Hydrobeast) was sold on GM cars (Cadillac) and some vans. There's a Power Steering reservoir available that has two input tubes, one tube for the power steering return hydraulic fluid and one for the Hydroboost return fluid. For the Hydroboost to work correctly it must have 0.000 psi return flow resistance. Otherwise, the Hydroboost will tend to lock up: aka the Hydrobeast. I have one of these two return line reservoirs in my garage to install no my 70 Hydroboost equipped car.

The real guru of power steering for C3's and also for steering columns, is Jim O'Shea. He's commented on the return oil flow for Hydroboosts. The turbulent oil flow inside the reservoir means that you just can't return the oil flow anywhere if you want no back pressure. The two return line reservoirs designed by GM are one solution. He has a drawing where you can add another input return flow to a stock one return input flow reservoir.
......................What is a reservoir? FOr the stock C2, C3 PS pumps, it's just the body canister that surrounds the cast iron pump. It's nothing external. For later year C3's, the external canister looked like a little Danish Ham Can. So it's also referred to as the ham can.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

There are only three locations that are acceptable for return spout(s) on a P-pump reservoir.

If you go this route, use silver solder (not common electrical solder) to attach the spout to the reservoir can. Ordinary solder can melt with high steering fluid temperatures and you might find the reservoir leaking. Silver solder melts at a much higher temperature.
Jim
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Anybody have a part # or application for a PS pump with two return lines that will fit our cars??

I know a T will work, just asking.

BILL
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BB72
I am searching for the correct reservoir for my hydroboost and power steering fluid. I have an aftermarket pump with my March system that comes with a remote reservoir with only one place for an inlet and one for outlet. With hydroboost you need two return fittings on the reservoir. I also heard that the March reservoir isn't big enough for hydroboost and ps fluid and it does allow for aerated fluid to go out. I have searched the net and found a few at around $200, can you guys share what you are useing, hopefully costing a lot less. Here's a link of the best reservoir I've found.

Rob

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motors...st-brakes.html
You may want to clarify whether you are using a P or TC style pump. A lot of the serp aftermarket are really TC pumps.

Originally Posted by lakebumm
Anybody have a part # or application for a PS pump with two return lines that will fit our cars??

I know a T will work, just asking.

BILL
Almost any GM 1ton van or truck that uses hydraboost. Some even use remote cans for the P pump.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=noonie;1581019233]You may want to clarify whether you are using a P or TC style pump. A lot of the serp aftermarket are really TC pumps.

It's the March pump, it says it's from an 87 Sunbird. The remote reservoir pump
http://www.marchperf.com/pg52.html#psp
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=BB72;1581022216]
Originally Posted by noonie
You may want to clarify whether you are using a P or TC style pump. A lot of the serp aftermarket are really TC pumps.

It's the March pump, it says it's from an 87 Sunbird. The remote reservoir pump
http://www.marchperf.com/pg52.html#psp
That's a TC style pump.
Here is a can with 2 returns in the right places and the 5/8" feed line. Also has a built in filter which is a big plus. Filter also helps keep any aeration down.
Remember that the pressure in for the steering comes from the hydraboost in series so the reservoir size really does not need to be bigger. Bigger is always better for other reasons though.
Keep in mind that the larger 5/8" hose is also part of the reservoir and in some applications I've seen them 3 ft long adding alot of oil volume and some cooling.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...r-p-18750.html
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

That's a TC style pump.
Here is a can with 2 returns in the right places and the 5/8" feed line. Also has a built in filter which is a big plus. Filter also helps keep any aeration down.
Remember that the pressure in for the steering comes from the hydraboost in series so the reservoir size really does not need to be bigger. Bigger is always better for other reasons though.
Keep in mind that the larger 5/8" hose is also part of the reservoir and in some applications I've seen them 3 ft long adding alot of oil volume and some cooling.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...r-p-18750.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I had that one bookmarked, just wondering if I really needed it. If something goes wrong in this area, you have no brakes.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:08 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

You would still have pretty good brakes, just not boosted.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:05 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '75
You would still have pretty good brakes, just not boosted.
I've had hydroboost in a truck fail once, almost pushed the seat off the tracks trying to get any pressure. The accumulator didn't work.

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Reservoir and hydroboost

Quick Reply: Remote Reservoir and hydroboost