C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 07:13 PM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog

When starting from a standing position, during normal traffic driving, my 454 has a slight "bog" and I have to sometimes compensate by "feathering" the clutch. I have been trying to fine tune this bog by playing with the carb (750 Edelbrock) but it still persists. I have adjusted the timing (Lars's instructions) and once past this bog the engine pulls very well (plenty of power and torque). Is there something I'm missing here?? Has anyone else had this problem?? Any ideas for me.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Jason628
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog (Kim72)

Greetings,

AFB carbs can be a pain...what I have done in the past is to get it back to factory specs, which if I remember rightly (correct me if I'm wrong) turn both screws until tight then 3 full turns out. If the problem persists, turn each screw a quarter turn, test drive, and see if it goes away. Usually only takes a half to 3/4 turns in my past experience. Also a common problem with people with big blocks is wrong plugs...AC Delcos are fine, but for whatever reason Autolite R43s last a lot longer and giver better performance...can't explain why.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2002, 08:39 AM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the accelerator pump working, and adjusted properly?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:05 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your accelerator pump linkage is in the hole closest to the carb itself. I would also try all the springs that come in the power piston kit. I had a bog and tried a spring that I would never have thought to use, due to the vacuum rating and it did wonders for fixing a bog.

You might also want to try this with the vacuum advance line plugged, just to make sure that your bog is not ignition related.

Old 05-28-2002, 11:34 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Default Re: Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog (dman535)

Out of the box my 750 was way to rich on the jetting. So I went down a few %. Then I set the A-pump arm to get the fastest big squirt and changed the rod spring to go full rich quicker.

Over the years I was very happy with the 750 Edl.carb. I did have a problem with gas boiling in the bowls. So I installed a 1/2 inch wood thermal spacer under the carb.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:48 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any possibility you're running a single plane intake manifold?
Old 05-30-2002, 09:32 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with the accelerator pump suggestions. Mine had an off the line bog and noticed that only 1 side of the acc. nozzle was squirting---had some junk in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog

Quick Reply: Normal Driving/Starting Line Bog