C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 PM
myko
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C Repair

It has been over 95 degrees or more every day with no end to the heat wave in sight! I have an '80 with factory A/C that hasn't worked since I got the car. I don't know what components might be missing and have no clue where to start. Searches haven't provided a full A/C system evaluation sequence and there isn't a repair shop in town that works on the old R-12 A/C systems.

Does anybody have a good paper or link to diagnose and fix A/C systems from start to finish? I am a novice and don't have equipment but am willing to do just about anything (including a full upgrade to R-134) to get a cool draft in the cockpit.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Any auto a/c shop should be able to tell you what your a/c system needs to get it properly repaired and convert it to 134a if that is what you want. As for doing it yourself with no training, that is a tall order. While a/c is not complicated, there is much to learn for a novice. Some high schools offer courses involving various trades including a/c so you might check this out in your area.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM
myko
Racer

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Any auto a/c shop should be able to tell you what your a/c system needs to get it properly repaired and convert it to 134a if that is what you want.
That conversation went:
"What year is it?"
"That probably has the old style A/C"
Yep, can I get it looked at?
"Yes, but it might be expensive"
That's OK, can you look at it?
"Oh... no, we don't do those"
Hmmm. Can I convert it to 134a?
"Sure, that is a possibility"
Can you get it in to convert it soon?
"Oh... no, we don't do that either"
You suck - well I didn't say it but I am also hesitant to take my car to them.

Anyway, the whole point of getting the car was to restore it myself so maybe it's best I can't cut corners.

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Some high schools offer courses involving various trades including a/c so you might check this out in your area.
Not really a good option. I have time to learn but my schedule is crazy so formal classes can't happen.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well, I don't know where you live in NE but if it's a small town, I can understand as I've spent quite a bit of time in the Cornhusker state. My wife's from Scottsbluff and we're both grads of Chadron State.

As for learning a/c, start by getting the GM shop manual (not Chilton or the like) for your Vette and reading and understanding the a/c section. Check Ebay or they can be purchased new from Helm, Inc., GM's publisher. This will guide you to checking to ensure you have all the required parts in place. The manual will tell you also how to replace or install parts and do various tests. It won't be easy with no background in the area but there will be plenty of help here.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 07-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing your going to do the work your self. I would change out the fan motor while you are at it. I changed out my c3 fan motor witch has a 3" fan. For a late model c4 fan and motor. Cost at parts store $35.00 fan and motor. C4 fan is 4".. You just have to cut a 3/4" spacer out of plywood and replace the small screws with 1-1/4" and you will have a fan that will blow your toupee off. lol I only put it off for 10 years. Then I kicked myself after I changed mine. It was such an easy fix for all the cold A/C. Don't for get to tint the windows.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Here is some info I found when I was doing my AC
http://acguy2.tripod.com/theory_of_operation.htm

My page here
Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 AM
myko
Racer

Originally Posted by redwingvette
Here is some info I found when I was doing my AC
http://acguy2.tripod.com/theory_of_operation.htm

My page here
Great info. It will be 100 degrees here for the next two weeks so I'm going to start ordering parts ASAP.

Anybody want to try to explain R12 vs R134 conversion - pros and cons?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 AM
golden50
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stay r 12 if possible if you convert it change filter

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Repair

Quick Reply: A/C Repair