C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Steering Box Replacement or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 AM
dfree45
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Steering Box Replacement or rebuild

I've been looking through the forums about this as my steering box is worn out and needs replacing or a rebuild. Does anyone have any updated info on the best options for a rebuild. The internals have had it and it needs new parts. I'm in the UK so I really need to get a complete unit and I could return the core after the original has been replaced.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

try this vendor

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...words=steering
Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default www.borgeson.com

dfree,

I strongly recommend you check out the Borgeson website for their integral power steering box. It has the power ram AND control valve built into the box and does away with the factory ram and C.V., not to mention the four hoses hanging under the engine. If you have factory power steering, you need to buy a Drag Link Adapter, rag joint and a two hose kit to suit the Borgeson box.

If you have manual steering, you need a pump kit, hose kit and rag joint as well as the box. I have one fitted to my '74 coupe and it makes the car steer like a modern car. The boost is variable, depending on the steering wheel position, so you have maximum when parking, minimal when cruising.

I sell these in Australia and I have never received a complaint about the driving sensation after it's been fitted. Several customers have actually contacted me to say how thrilled they are with the improvement to their driving pleasure.

If you ring Borgeson (1-860-482-8283) and ask for Gil or Jeff. I don't know if they have a distributor in the UK, but they will help you there.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dfree45,
I sent my box to Bair's Corvettes in PA. They rebuilt the whole box, painted it original color and sent it back. The box looked/worked great and the price was very fair.
WWW.bairs.com/
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Gary Ramadei, aka GTR1999, formerly on this forum but no longer! Gary blueprinted/rebuilt my OEM steering box in 2010 and the results were simply outstanding and are a giant improvement over the OEM box when it was new from GM!! If you want to keep your C3 as it came from the factory with OEM steering, Gary, is the man. Do a search on this forum as well as a google search on Gary Ramadei or PM me for his contact info. There are many forum members who can attest to Gary's outstanding custom work.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Second that on the Borgeson box.No more leaking hoses & steering cylinder under the car.Bolts up in stock location no brackets needed,looks factory.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am another very satisfied Borgeson customer. The steering responsiveness & tightness is comparable to a new car, the fit was very good and the clutter is gone from under the car!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
dfree45
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few options

Thanks everyone for your advice and options. I'll make some enquiries and go with one of these.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default steering

ck with mike dyer

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Steering Box Replacement or rebuild

Quick Reply: 69 Steering Box Replacement or rebuild