C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size dash speakers 1980 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Michael C3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size dash speakers 1980 Vette?

Hey, was wondering what size speakers I should get for my 1980 C3 corvette, also what do you think about putting subs in the backbehind the seats (really the only place to put them) thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Regular old 4x6 speakers in the dash, and the great big sub-woofers in the back will look and sound cool, until you need to put something back there. Remember, no trunk. If you really want a kickin' sound system, make it some kind of bass tube, something that can easily be removed if (when!) you want to make some room back there.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 AM
77vetteluva
Instructor

Default Glad you started this thread

I was about to start a thread on this subject myself to caution anyone replacing dash speakers. I recently restored my interior including a new dash. No better time to replace the 4 x 6's. I did not make a note of which side of the speaker the terminals should be when installed. I still don't know how they were originally. But I later found out (after completely reinstalling the dash) that if the terminals were to the right side of the driver's side speaker they could short to the 'c' shaped metal piece above the speedo/tach. I'm getting good at removing and reinstalling a dash pad. Not something I was striving for. Unfortunately the problem did not occur until the pad was installed and all the screws were tightened. However you should still test the electrical functions as you go while completing the dash installation.

Also, most new 4 x 6 speakers are two way or coaxial and have a tweeter in the center that interferes with the original mounting bracket. You might have to make some modifications. I posted a thread on a modification I did and it includes a mod from another member also. Not sure how to link to it but you can find it through my profile. Hope this is helpful!
~Rick
Old 08-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Michael C3
4th Gear

Ok cool thanks Scott!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Michael C3
4th Gear

Ok I'll watch out for that thanks Rick!

Get notified of new replies

To What size dash speakers 1980 Vette?

Quick Reply: What size dash speakers 1980 Vette?