C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low battery cause no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low battery cause no spark?

hello,

can a low battery cause no spark. battery voltage is 11 volts, car cranks but no spark to the spark plugs. could this be caused by low battery voltage or should i start looking somewhere else?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never say never but I think you should look elsewhere.

How did you determine the spark plugs are not getting spark? Did you remove the coil wire and hold it near the block while cranking the engine? If you see a spark jump to the block then it is putting out fire. If it isn't you need to look at the coil and wiring.

Not knowing what year car you have and whether it has HEI or a points type distributor can make a difference in diagnosis.

Is the shielding in place around the distributor? My own experience may be of help. My '69 was cranking and there appeared no fire. I removed the top to the shielding and the car would start. I had my hand near...not touching...the coil and distributor...and a spark jumped to my hand that sent me running to see if my nuts had turned into night lights!

It turned out the coil wire had a pinhole that was allowing the spark to escape and ground out against the cover for the shielding, even though it has a non-metallic insulator in there. I replaced the coil wire and no more problem.

It may be as simple as that for you.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Never say never but I think you should look elsewhere.

How did you determine the spark plugs are not getting spark? Did you remove the coil wire and hold it near the block while cranking the engine? If you see a spark jump to the block then it is putting out fire. If it isn't you need to look at the coil and wiring.

Not knowing what year car you have and whether it has HEI or a points type distributor can make a difference in diagnosis.

Is the shielding in place around the distributor? My own experience may be of help. My '69 was cranking and there appeared no fire. I removed the top to the shielding and the car would start. I had my hand near...not touching...the coil and distributor...and a spark jumped to my hand that sent me running to see if my nuts had turned into night lights!

It turned out the coil wire had a pinhole that was allowing the spark to escape and ground out against the cover for the shielding, even though it has a non-metallic insulator in there. I replaced the coil wire and no more problem.

It may be as simple as that for you.
thanks for the reply...
Its a brand new HEI distributor. It was sparking as it was supposed to then the battery got low and it stopped sparking the plugs. that's why i was asking about voltage. maybe once you drop bellow 11.5 volts the HEI doesn't work? the motor is a refreshed motor that was transplanted from a 88 pickup.

verified spark with a "spark tool" (lisile light bulb tool thingy)

Last edited by 69SSC5; 08-14-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Charge the battery (or swap in another battery) and see if things run as they should. That should confirm or eliminate battery voltage as the cause.

If it does, then you have to investigate why the battery is low on voltage.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Pull the TACH wire out of the cap, clip a 12v testlight to the terminal and while touching the other end of the light to ground, crank the engine. The testlight should flash. That will prove the pickup coil and module. From there, it's the rotor, cap or coil.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
thanks for the reply...
Its a brand new HEI distributor. It was sparking as it was supposed to then the battery got low and it stopped sparking the plugs. that's why i was asking about voltage. maybe once you drop bellow 11.5 volts the HEI doesn't work? the motor is a refreshed motor that was transplanted from a 88 pickup.

verified spark with a "spark tool" (lisile light bulb tool thingy)
A real HEI is designed to operate down to 6 volts (for starting on cold winter days). It's anybody's guess what the electrical capabilities are if it's a clone HEI.

Follow Tim's advice, and let us know what you find.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
69SSC5
Pro

ok i charged the battery put it in and turned the key. It sparked once then never sparked again. so thats kinda confusing me. why would it spark once then not spark anymore?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by TimAT
Pull the TACH wire out of the cap, clip a 12v testlight to the terminal and while touching the other end of the light to ground, crank the engine. The testlight should flash. That will prove the pickup coil and module. From there, it's the rotor, cap or coil.
ok so i did what you said and the test light lights up with the key on and flashes when i crank the motor
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

A MSD 6AL ignition stops sparking at 9 volts, others are probablly simaler. Do You have anything like this in the system?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
69SSC5
Pro

ok put a new coil in and problem still persists. I turn the key the plug sparks once then doesnt spark again.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by Heimlich2010
ok so i did what you said and the test light lights up with the key on and flashes when i crank the motor
anyone?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

read this article or use google for more

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature19.html

Last edited by MelWff; 08-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
69SSC5
Pro

Originally Posted by MelWff
read this article or use google for more

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature19.html
I read the article and i used google thats why im asking here
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The test light flashing indicates your module is good. Remove the dist cap and inspect the rotor and the center button in the top of the cap that contacts the center of the rotor. The next likely suspect is the coil.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
69SSC5
Pro

ok after attempting to start it several different ways i went ahead and pulled the cap off. the rotor looks new. I pulled the two wires off of the pick up coil to test them. test procedures say you connect one multimeter probe to on of the pick up coil leads and then ground the other probe lead. They say you should see infinite resistance and if not then the pick up coil is bad. I get infinite resistance on one of the pick up coil leads but on the other lead i get 76.1 ohms. so it looks like a bad pickup coil is the culprit.
I come inside do some research on pick up coils then i go back outside 15min later to re-ohm out the coil leads just to quadruple check. well this time both leads show infinate resistance. I am positive before one of the leads was showing 76.1 ohms (i tripple checked). So whats the deal any ideas?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:01 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

What year is the car, just wondering if it had HEI originally or if you might be using the resistance wire if it's pre '75 to power it.

Get notified of new replies

To low battery cause no spark?

Quick Reply: low battery cause no spark?