C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change?

I think my headlight switch that operates the interior dome light is malfunctioning. The interior light works well when either door is opened. However when the **** is rotated counter clockwise to turn interior dome light on, I get nothing. I'm sure it's not a major job to change the switch. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, L8TER, Paul.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:07 AM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change? (Vettesic)

I just did mine a couple of months ago because of the same symptoms. A new headlight switch solved the problem. It's pretty simple to do, hardest part is reaching under the dash and getting up to the switch. Once you have everything out of the way so that you can reach the switch from under the dash you need to locate a small button on the body of the switch. Push that button in and with your other hand pull the **** off. It will come off with the rod. Once the ****/rod are removed you need to unscrew the retaining nut (behind where the **** use to be). Now the switch body should be free to be pulled out from the back. Now just disconnect the electrical plug and the two vacuum lines (remember which vacuum line went to which port) and you're home free. Install new switch in reverse order.

If I'm remembering right, all I had to remove to gain access to the switch under the dash was one vent duct (and possibly the vent) and the under-dash courtesty light (so you don't burn your arm reaching for the switch). Good luck, you won't need it though, it's a pretty easy job.
:cheers:

[Modified by bluevette, 2:09 AM 5/31/2002]
Old 05-31-2002, 04:31 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vettesic,

Did this happen all of the sudden or has it been this way since you owned the car?

Here's the reason why I ask:

My headlight doors died recently and I traced the problem to a bad vacuum switch, which is part of the main headlight switch. I bought a used switch (new ones are impossible to find, unless you go through a vendor). The switch I received does not have a chassis ground contact that my original switch had. The replacment switch fixed my headlight problem but now, I cannot control my dome/couresy lights from the headlight switch, just via the doors only.

That missing contact is what provides a ground for the dome/courtesy lights when the switch is rotated full counter-clockwise.

I bought the part from Gary Gruhala and I know he'll make things right. I am going to take a digital picture of both switches this weekend. I'll post the photos here. They may or may not help you.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:41 PM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change? (Neo Fender)

Ill just tac my question onto this thread all my dash and consol lights have quit the warning lights still work ,and mine is like yours in that the dome lights work when i open the doors. Are these lights all working off the same switch and is there a seprate fuse for the dash lights? :confused:
Old 05-31-2002, 09:52 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

bluevette, I will follow your lead to the letter. Thanks.

Did this happen all of the sudden or has it been this way since you owned the car?

The switch I received does not have a chassis ground contact that my original switch had.

That missing contact is what provides a ground for the dome/courtesy lights when the switch is rotated full counter-clockwise.

I am going to take a digital picture of both switches this weekend. I'll post the photos here. They may or may not help you.
Neofinder, Yes this a a brand new problem! I will remove switch first and then await your pics and bring switch to my vette parts guy for exact match. That little difference would drive a guy up a wall. Maybe that's just the problem. The ground on the switch was lost. Thanks for your hard earned knowledge!

Wightnite...Yes, I think the headlight switch we are all referring to operates the dash/console lights also. Although there may be a seperate fuse for them. L8TER, Paul.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:55 PM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change? (Wightnite)

Ill just tac my question onto this thread all my dash and consol lights have quit the warning lights still work ,and mine is like yours in that the dome lights work when i open the doors. Are these lights all working off the same switch and is there a seprate fuse for the dash lights? :confused:
I wish I had a picture of my old switch so that I could better explain why your lights aren't working. Basically our switches have a metal spring in them shaped in a circle. A metal tab coming off of the rod rides along this spring. In my case the spring had broken over time so it lost contact and could no longer light up the courtesy lights or my dash lights. Good luck.

John
Old 05-31-2002, 11:01 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Vettesic,

I uploaded some decent pictures of the two switches to my CF website. If you can wait until Monday, I'll post them. If you can't wait and you find out that your switch is the problem, make sure that your replacement has the correct number and location of contacts. There is only one P/N indicated for '78 - '82 but there is a difference in switches.

The spring mentioned in an earlier post is a rheostat. it varies the voltage from 0 to 12 vdc for the instrument panel lights. At the end of the rheostat is as ground which is also a contact for the dome/courtesy lights for when the switch is turned full ccw.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Neo fender,
Where is the link to your website? I haven't had the time this past weekend to even uncover the vette! Can the switch be ordered new? I have not checked yet. I know that sounds like I don't give a rats a**, but between the wife lining up a ton of house jobs for me and my regular work, guess what gets sidelined. I hope to pull the switch sometime this week. Thanks. L8TER, Paul.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:00 AM
wolfpacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, except I have no dash lights at all. I just got a copy of the fuse panel and plan to check that first.
However, I sometimes have all four headlights working and sometimes just the outside two. I would guess these are the dim. Any chance the headlight problem is related to the dash lights. I just put in all new head lights.

'81 white, 350, glass tops, rear mounted top carrier
Old 06-04-2002, 07:46 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Default Re: Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change? (wolfpacker)

wolfpacker,
Sound like you have a couple different problems there. I would check fuses, power sources and yes, possably the headlight switch. If your bright lights intermittenly work then maybe your brights switch is at fault. Yours is in the directional handle. I've never done that job. Maybe someone will jump in with some info for ya. L8TER, Paul.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Vettesic,

Here are the two switches. The original one is on the left:

Here's the original switch installed:

Here's the the replacement switch installed:

Although there is only one part number headlight switch for '78 - '82, there are two different switches. The vendor that I purchased mine from had
half of one type, half of the other in their inventory.

You can get the switch new from a vendor ($45 and up) but there's no telling what you'll get. You can get exactly what you need from Gary Gruhala for less than half the price of a new switch.

Good Luck.

[Modified by Neo Fender, 6:38 AM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 09:09 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Neo Fender,
Those are some really descriptive pics, Thank You! OK, I removed the switch today. It was all cruded up. Looked like the contact strap for the dome light was just not making a good metalic contact. Cleaned up the switch with WD40. However, upon removing the switch I discovered I broke the plastic part just in front of the yellow circle in your pic. The part that stops the **** from rotating completly around counterclockwise! Man was I pissed at myself. Can I ever catch a break with this car! Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a used switch from the local vette shop for 52 bucks. I will match them up so as not to get the wrong switch. Thanks for you help. L8TER, Paul.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Paul,

I'll be honest - $52 is a steep price for a used switch. Unless you need one right now, you'll be able to do better elsewhere. I paid $20 used for mine. New one is $45 - $50.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Neo, Again, Thanks for the heads-up. The guy at the vette shop quoted me for a new switch, $175.00 and Chevy told me the switch was discontinued. Therefor I didn't even look in the usual vette mail orders. I found one in Mid America for $44.99. You had mentioned about two types of switches from vendors, so now I'm not sure. Who is Gary Gruhala? L8TER, Paul.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Gary Gruhala is a new and used parts vendor here in Missouri. He's a genuinely nice guy to deal with and he doesn't gouge you on a lot of BS handling charges. Here's a link to his website:
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/GruhalaEnterprises/

There is only "supposed" to be one headlight switch for '78 - '82 but I've obviously discovered otherwise. Just compare your switch to the pictures I provided. It should either have the long ground contact or none at all. If you order from Gary, he'll know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:40 PM
Vettesic
Drifting

Thanks. Let ya know what happens. L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change?

Quick Reply: Headlight/Interior Dome Light Switch Change?