C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L 88 hood vent question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If there is any sort of concensus, the cross-over point where aero starts becoming the first order factor would probably be set at ~120 MPH. Aero characteristics start sorting themselves out at far lower speeds; the effects just aren't noticeable. However, IMHO that 120 isn't necessarily an accurate reference point for those not content with only driving in straigh lines.

Case in point: There's this particular sweeper where my '78 was always a white-knuckle ride at ~85, but after installing the PC dam and spoiler (no special aero tricks) it was like being on rails at 125. Fortunately, I learned in a straight line that the PC dam needs some bracing for very much of that sort of speed.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:07 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Perfect timing, lvrpool32.

In and event, I'd hope that it should go without question that you don't want to extract air which bypasses the rad altogether, but given the amount of confusion which often surrounds underhood aero it's probably worth mention.

TSW
Sadly, I believe you are correct.

After reading your post I had a Homer Simpson "Duh" moment. It appears that the vents will open up right on top of the radiator above the fan shroud.

I really like the idea of a mini Compuware effect like in the post from Skunk. The modified race cars have this vent, but those cars have the radiator relocated.

Us mere civilians have to settle for the "look"

Shot at 2012-08-30

Shot at 2012-08-30

Shot at 2012-08-30

Shot at 2012-08-30
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by commander_47
Sadly, I believe you are correct.

After reading your post I had a Homer Simpson "Duh" moment. It appears that the vents will open up right on top of the radiator above the fan shroud.

I really like the idea of a mini Compuware effect like in the post from Skunk. The modified race cars have this vent, but those cars have the radiator relocated.

Us mere civilians have to settle for the "look"

It's not optimal, but as long as the vent is behind the radiator support/hood seal (ie: engine compartment), it's directionally correct.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
It's not optimal, but as long as the vent is behind the radiator support/hood seal (ie: engine compartment), it's directionally correct.

Quick Reply: L 88 hood vent question