C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lower steering column bearing. Shaft still loose.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New lower steering column bearing. Shaft still loose.

Guys and Gals,
I'm working on getting the play out of my steering with the Steerioids rack. I've followed troubleshooting instructions and everything is checked off except the excessive play in my lower steering column. I replaced the lower bearing along with a new plastic retainer. I installed it, but everything is still loose. I don't know if it's pushed all the way up there or not. I've pushed it as far as I can and the retainer ring went on and stayed put. But the column shaft still has waaaaaay too much play. The white bearing retainer doesn't seem to fit in the base of the column snug at all. It's very loose in there. I shot a video of it to get the point across. Calling Jim Shea!!!

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/z...-19-08_684.mp4

Last edited by brando1118; 08-28-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you have the wrong parts
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
brando1118
Pro

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
you have the wrong parts
Oldalaskaman,
Well crap!!! Really?? Care to elaborate? I'd love it to be a simple solution. Looking at Jim Shea's documents, I see there are only 4 parts.
1. The bearing adapter
2. The bearing (these two above are pressed together)
3. The retainer
4. The retainer clip

The bearing and bearing adapter I ordered from Corvette America. I'm confident it's the right part. I'm thinking user error. Hoping I'm not pushing it up far enough.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

the year of your car would be good to post, and weather its standard or t&t
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...hWh9WHz6aib7fg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HiqMwF5rnzMrKg
yours doesnt look like it was done correctly either
hope this helps

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 08-29-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM
brando1118
Pro

the year of your car would be good to post, and weather its standard or t&t
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...hWh9WHz6aib7fg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HiqMwF5rnzMrKg
yours doesnt look like it was done correctly either
hope this helps

Sorry. 1970 Tilt/Tele
Thanks for the links. I've read them before. The first link was mostly drama about the bearing and the adapter. I put mine in a vice and in 2 seconds they were together . No big deal. The second link is what I used as a guide to do this job.
I will take apart my lower column again this evening and take some pics of what I have.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I am not an expert on rack & pinion installations. However, I know that there is a multi-universal joint intermediate steering shaft that must connect the steering column steering shaft to the input shaft on the R&P gear. If the I-shaft is not installed correctly, it could impart some very high side (and up and down) loads on the steering column lower bearing.

Don't ask me how to install the I-shaft. A R&P installation is not my bag. I assume that you got instructions with the Steeroids kit.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM
brando1118
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I am not an expert on rack & pinion installations. However, I know that there is a multi-universal joint intermediate steering shaft that must connect the steering column steering shaft to the input shaft on the R&P gear. If the I-shaft is not installed correctly, it could impart some very high side (and up and down) loads on the steering column lower bearing.

Don't ask me how to install the I-shaft. A R&P installation is not my bag. I assume that you got instructions with the Steeroids kit.

Good luck,
Jim
Understood Jim.
Thank you for the response. The Steeroids rack is installed correctly. I've followed the instructions to the letter and also followed their troubleshooting guide which has led me to the lower column bearing. Viewing the video you can see that it is way too loose. I've either not installed it correctly, or the part is faulty. I'm sure there are different loads on the lower bearing due to the rack and pinion installation. I am also reasonably sure this may shorten the life of the lower column bearing but a new install should not be as loose as mine. Since this is still in the realm of the stock steering configuration I was hoping you would see something I missed.
Thank you.

Last edited by brando1118; 08-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

the only thing I see is the space between the housing and the bearing assembly. It may be that it needs to go further in , but the few that I've done(non-vettes) have been snug both to the shaft and to the housing. Still looking for better info
Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM
brando1118
Pro

the only thing I see is the space between the housing and the bearing assembly. It may be that it needs to go further in , but the few that I've done(non-vettes) have been snug both to the shaft and to the housing. Still looking for better info
Thanks oldalaskaman,
Knowing me, this is an installer error. I will shoot a vid with the retainer off and I will work to get it closer. Maybe then the issue will be evident. I will do this when I get home tonight.
Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This scan is right from the Service Manual. The lower bearing is the same for standard (non-adjustable) columns as well as T&T columns. The T&T column does not require the spring shown in the pic.

Jim
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

so in his video , why does he have a big rolly gap ?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
brando1118
Pro

Thanks Jim,
I know you spend half your time on the forum repeating the instructions that you've generously spent time creating for our hobby. Out of respect for you and your efforts I try to read each document of yours that pertains to my issue before I even post. I have read your documentation and that is why I am so stumped. I realize this isn't rocket science. Albeit, I can't really see what I'm doing because I'm working from above, but doesn't the bearing and the adapter only fit into the housing one way? Is it possible to fit the the bearing and the adapter into the housing all the way, but to have it in the wrong position? If not, then the only thing I can think of is that the diameter of the housing has somehow become enlarged or the bearing adapter circumference is too small. I will try to shoot a close-up vid of the assembly with the retainer off so to have a good look at what's happening live.
Thanks to all that have tried to help.

Edit: Ahem.....Thanks Jim and oldalaskaman.

Last edited by brando1118; 08-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 PM
69vette19467
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My story - In July 08 I replaced the lower column bearing that I ordered from Zip. No problem. Noticed that the bearing retainer was cracked. Ordered a GM replacement from gmpartsdirect (pn 7805822). Replaced the retainer when I pulled the column in Mar 10 for other repairs. Found that the Zip bearing (generic) wouldn't fit the GM retainer. Either thr brg was too large or the retainer ID was too small. I ended up sanding the retainer ID to get the bearing to fit. I was afraid that I'd split the retainer if I forced a fit (such as using a vise). From that point, everything installed properly.

I put my caliper on the old retainer (which I saved). The OD measured 1.860". The OD I measured is the OD that fits inside the Jacket Assy (lower tube). The retainer has three raised bosses on the OD that locates the retainer in the lower tube. So, you should be able to see whether the retainer is fully seated. My old retainer has "5822" molded on one of the bosses; it may be original GM.

It's possible that the ears on the lower tube are bent outward. Pull just the reinforcement off and do the wiggle test. You should be able to see where the slop is coming from.

The moral of my story: aftermarket parts don't always fit right.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
brando1118
Pro

Well to be honest this just mystifies me. I am %99 certain that this bearing assembly is installed correctly, yet it just wiggles around in there having a good ole time. I've referenced the square bosses on the bearing retainer and made sure they are flush with their perspective square openings. So in other words, it is as far up in the lower tube as it will go. My solution I'm leaning towards is a BF hose clamp that I can tighten around the lower tube to take up some of the tolerance so the fit will be snug. There are two close-up pictures below. One before I put the retainer on and one after I installed the retainer and clip. The link to the video allowing us to witness a total bearing assembly party going on is before the pics. The video is rated "R" so those with kids need to send them away until they are mature enough to see a bearing act this way. It's total debauchery.

Edit: After further scrutiny of the video, there is a tube that the steering shaft resides in. It seems that the bearing retainer should be flush with the end of that tube. So it seems that 69Vette19467's statement of "aftermarket parts don't always fit right", may apply here. Not being flush with the end of the tube allows the bearing retainer to travel backwards into the steering column assembly. Hmmmm. That sucks.

The video:
http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/z...-33-44_939.mp4
Pic pre-retainer:

Pic post-retainer:

Last edited by brando1118; 08-29-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
brando1118
Pro

Well after sleeping on it, I've realized that it's likely that the lower tube is altered in some way and no matter what bearing and bearing adapter I purchase I am going to run into this problem. So I'm going to move forward with my idea of using a T-Bolt hose clamp about an inch behind the entire assembly. I'm not going to to tighten it more than is needed. Just enough to clamp down on the bearing adapter and bearing. I'm not sure why my lower tube has become "altered". Most likely because of the R&P that I've been running for the last couple of years. I had just now begun to troubleshoot why my steering has a dead spot. So I'll report back with a new vid and a triumph or a failure.
Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Seems like you are missing the spring that loads the bearing and keeps it centered, or am I missing it?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
brando1118
Pro

Originally Posted by '75
Seems like you are missing the spring that loads the bearing and keeps it centered, or am I missing it?
Thanks 75,
I have the Tilt/Tele and they don't come with the spring. Although in this case it would seem to be useful.

Get notified of new replies

To New lower steering column bearing. Shaft still loose.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

the contact between the outer tube and the bearing are not moving parts, if the one you took out fit tight and was snug, your new one should be also, that leads back to wrong or ill fitting aftermarket parts
Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The stamped, metal, bearing adapter is held in place by the round wire clip. If that bearing adapter fits over the end of the steering column jacket, then lower end of the jacket must not be distorted. That would also mean that the plastic bearing adapter is not to print.

BTW the GM part numbers for the plastic bearing adapter and the lower bearing are as follows:

Lower Column Bearing 7805700
Lower Bearing Adapter (plastic) 7805822

These parts are still available through GM dealers. GMPartsDirect.com shows them available at the usual obscene GM service prices.

Jim
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
69vette19467
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Brando: What motivated you to replace the bearing and retainer in the first place. All you mentioned in your original post was that you were trying to remove "excessive play in my lower steering column". Was the problem you were trying to eliminate the same problem that we're all discussing currently? What was the condition of the removed bearing and retainer? If the old retainer is intact, try measuring it's OD.

Quick Reply: New lower steering column bearing. Shaft still loose.