C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

billet flywheel, starter motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default billet flywheel, starter motor issues

Need some advice on this. I have mounted a new billet 168 tooth flywheel on my SB together with a blowproof bellhousing.

Had a lot of grinding to do to get the block saver plate to fit the starter motor but it's finally in. However now it seems that some shim at the axle of the starter gear seem to hit the teeth of my flywheel.

Must say I used a spare starter that was in better condition than my original (also a 79 vette).

this is a picture of my original starter. As you can see, the shim is almost gone.

This is the new starter, you can see the ruster shim at the end of the gearaxle.

The flywheel that came out was also an 168 tooth flywheel except is was not a billet. Just an original GM part.

Anyone encounter this before ? What did you do with this ?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Did you check the starter gear/flywheel engagement clearnance? With the gear extended the clearance between the tip of the starter gear tooth and the valley between two teeth on the flywheel should be sufficient to insert a paper clip. If not shim the starter.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just did a quick Google search of Delco starter shim, look in the link, below the starter you see 2 shims, they will add distance between the flywheel teeth and the starter gear. It is very rare that a OEM Delco starter needs shimming but, maybe yours does.

Link: http://www.motorcityreman.com/22201h...FcKDQgodCU0AqQ
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Just did a quick Google search of Delco starter shim, look in the link, below the starter you see 2 shims, they will add distance between the flywheel teeth and the starter gear. It is very rare that a OEM Delco starter needs shimming but, maybe yours does.

Link: http://www.motorcityreman.com/22201h...FcKDQgodCU0AqQ
Maybe, but this is an aftermarket SFI flywheel. That could be it.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

i have an aftermarket billet steel 19lb flywheel... i use a mini high tq starter off fleebay, it came with shims for front/back and up/down positioning. works GREAT, sounds like a race car when it starts, 1/3 the weight and size of the old one... and best of all, NO heat soak in the summer... O, and it red so it matches Baby.

also went through this with my sons jeep.... shimming and alignment are VERY important.

take off the inspection plate underneath (transmission/clutch inspection plate), and in the slid hole on the starter, put a small pic or screwdriver in it and push it gear into the ring gear (this is when it is installed but not tightened) and look how your gears mesh together and adjust as needed.

Get notified of new replies

To billet flywheel, starter motor issues

Quick Reply: billet flywheel, starter motor issues