C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Spreader Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
68thumper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Homemade Spreader Bar

I got a wild hair today and decided to add a spreader bar. I went to the local hardware store and purchased the tubing, rod ends, tubing inserts for the rod ends, bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a .5 inch hole on the vertical support for the upper control arm. Welded the inserts to the tubing, painted and mounted. I will drive it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Total cost $59.63.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Damn rare hardware store to have a 'reverse thread' ....for anything let alone the rod ends necessary....

Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 AM
chevygod
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Orange, California... Did you go to McFadden-Dale?

Mickey-Dale is just such a store that might have or be able to readily get such stuff. My favorite place to shop.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I am all for home made pieces if you have the skill, tools, and the time to make the piece-your piece looks nice-BTW!

I bought mine from speed direct for my OEM clutch fan on the L-82 about 2 years ago and the only regret I have is that I did not put a spreader bar on years ago-it made a very noticeable difference in how the front end rides, eliminate the shakes over bumps, tightened up steering response, and improved the handling by eliminating front end flex on my suspension which is the OEM design but completely upgraded. Adding a spreader bar should be a top 5 suspension upgrade to any C3! I bought mine from Speed direct for $100.

http://cmc.speeddirect.com/AMAZING/i...%2DWEB&eq=&Tp=

I have spreader bars/shock tower/ strut tower braces also for years on my 2001 pontiac grand prix (front and rear), 1994 Mustang GT convertible (rear shocks tower, front has upper and lower triangle brace from Ford, and subframe connectors that I welded in), and recently a mopar strut tower brace in the front of my Chrysler 300) and everyone one of them derived a benefit from the the braces. The spreader bar/ shock/strut braces are a very inexpensive way to tighten up the chassis of a C3 and they work!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM
68thumper
Instructor

Originally Posted by chevygod
Orange, California... Did you go to McFadden-Dale?

Mickey-Dale is just such a store that might have or be able to readily get such stuff. My favorite place to shop.
Yes...on LaPalma in Anaheim...
Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
chevygod
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Worked a couple blocks away from that store for years, now work and live in Corona, so I'm glad we have a store out here. Neat place for odd stuff, really amazing what they have in stock or can get.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
1976 corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice work. congrats.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 AM
68thumper
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68thumper
I got a wild hair today and decided to add a spreader bar. I went to the local hardware store and purchased the tubing, rod ends, tubing inserts for the rod ends, bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a .5 inch hole on the vertical support for the upper control arm. Welded the inserts to the tubing, painted and mounted. I will drive it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Total cost $59.63.

I test drove the car today to see if the spreader bar made a difference. A friend stopped by just before the drive and asked to go. He has been in the car several times before. I did not tell him I installed the bar. Within about 2 miles he asked me if I stiffened the suspension. I noticed on rough roads or bumps there is less shake in the steering column and fenders. The car has been upgraded to coil over shocks, van steel control arms and rack and pinion so it already handles good. I am not sure I see any difference in handling but that may take a few more days... If the bar does not make the car handle better it does look nice and "racy".
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

The bar does not make the car handle better but it does prevent the frame from flexing and since the the suspension components are attached to the frame, allows the suspension to react quicker and more precisely since it helps eliminate suspension slop when it is working. This is why the suspension feels stiffer.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The hardware is on Ebay. The left hand Heim joints, the LH jam nuts and the LH bungs.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Just curious, but why did you put it so far forward? Seems like centered on the tower would be prevent any CA twisting. It looks like you have room to the rear. The workmanship looks good though.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
68thumper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin68
Just curious, but why did you put it so far forward? Seems like centered on the tower would be prevent any CA twisting. It looks like you have room to the rear. The workmanship looks good though.
The nose of the water pump pulley would not allow me to put the bar back further. I called March Performance to ask if they had a more "shallow" pump. They did not but said I could remove the front water pump cover which I tried. I still needed another .5 inch in order to mount the bar up higher and back. It's a compromise I guess.

Last edited by 68thumper; 09-27-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I like it.... i cant use the typical spreader bar on the control arm bolt either as my pulleys are too far forward for that.

Great idea.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by 68thumper
I test drove the car today to see if the spreader bar made a difference. A friend stopped by just before the drive and asked to go. He has been in the car several times before. I did not tell him I installed the bar. Within about 2 miles he asked me if I stiffened the suspension. I noticed on rough roads or bumps there is less shake in the steering column and fenders. The car has been upgraded to coil over shocks, van steel control arms and rack and pinion so it already handles good. I am not sure I see any difference in handling but that may take a few more days... If the bar does not make the car handle better it does look nice and "racy".
Thinking of doing it on my 71, 350, 5spd, elect fan.

any updates on the ride?

thanks
Old 06-02-2015, 06:14 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Picked up the parts at a local speed shop for under $45. Aluminum sleeve , r&l hiems and jam nuts. At a swap meet picked up some gussets to weld onto the frame for $5 [adding a 3rd belt, serpentine at that] and needed the extra clearance. Paint $5 for a total cost of $55. T
Old 06-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work! Thats how to do it!

Get notified of new replies

To Homemade Spreader Bar

Quick Reply: Homemade Spreader Bar