C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question.

I got the 327 back from the machine shop at a greater expense than expected, but that's OK, I want it right. It had to be bored because of BAD taper in the cylinder walls, so we bored it. Then we found out that finding pistons for a 327 isnt' as cheap of a venture as finding them for a 350. I ended up deciding to go with a hypereutectic flat top to bring the compression down to 9.5:1. Figured that would be a little more what I want for a street driven, driver not racer car. The camel hump heads (I forgot what number they are) needed the hardened valve seats, and the guides were shot, then when we took the valves out the stems were shot, so now my heads have new seats, guides, valves, and have been given the works treatment (surfaced, magnafluxed, valve job, all the new parts :D). Then you throw in some cam bearings, frost plugs, checking rods, installing pistons, and you end up just $2 short of $600. :yesnod: Oh well, I guess I've just been lucky enough up until this point to never have to do that much in machining at one time. Anyway.....

I ordered my Crane Cams 266H today for that motor. It is going to be in the 68' convertible, with true duals going out the rear. It will have an Edelbrock Performer 2101 with a Holley Street Avenger.

Here's the questions. What headers can I run, and which Holley Street Avenger? I am thinking the 570 Street Avenger based on a conversation with another forum members experience with his. What do you think?
Old 06-03-2002, 02:40 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question. (Dalannex)

The Holley 570 should be about right for a mild street engine. I can't help you with a header recommendation other than you should keep the tube size down to 1 5/8" or perhaps smaller if you can find them. Hooker and Hedman sell headers that will fit.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Aaron-74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Holley 670 my self. As for headers, DynoMax or Hedman headers would fit.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:13 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin, since you're not interested in all out power, and since your're buiding her for the street and cruising, I suggest you'll have excellant throttle response if you stay with the smaller carb., and like another member said, small tube headers, no larger than 15/8".
Old 06-03-2002, 05:20 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question. (john's '81 mouse)

Go with the Holley 570. The 670 is WAY too big for a mild 327 motor.
The 570 will give some nice torque, good throttle response and decent gas mileage.

As far as headers, stick with the better quality headers such as Hooker, Hedman and the likes. Get the Ceramic coating, and keep the primaries to 1 5/8" size.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question. (john's '81 mouse)

Your engine is similar to mine (see sig. below). I've got a Rochester QJ on mine but I know that a 327 really doesn't use anywhere near the 750cfm those carbs are capable of. I've heard also that a bigger carb is not necessarily better so something around 570cfm should be fine. Same with headers, smaller tubes as suggested will give you more low end torque, which is what you want, especially with an automatic. Good luck!! :cheers:
Old 06-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Steve68
4th Gear

Last weekend I replaced my Holley 750 with an Edelbrock 600 (model 1406) and was shocked at how much more performance I got on the bottom. I'm running a mild cam, G Force manifold and headers ( 1 3/4" od ) :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2002, 03:13 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question. (Steve68)

Thanks guys. I have been eyeballing the 570 street avenger, mostly because I want something other than the old Carter that came with the car, and I've never bought a new carb, and never had a Holley, (always quadrajet) and it looks to me like the Street Avenger is about what I've always Holley to make. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't too small.

As far as headers go I've been looking at the Dynomax Cerama-coat, or the Hedman Elite. I'm not sure what size the tubes are though, it doesn't say in the Jeg's catalog that I'm looking at.

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question.

Quick Reply: I'm putting the 327 together, and have a question.