C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailights and Dash lights are out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 PM
ashes0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailights and Dash lights are out.

Went in and replaced the fuse however it immediately blows out.

Brake lights and signals work alright, any advice on where these shorts normally occur?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM
1977stroker
Advanced

A bad head light switch would be my first suspicion.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I plugged my lighter in, obviously it wasn't clean as it would short my dash lights, tail lights and stereo fuse out. Kept replacing the fuse and it would keep blowing then emembered about putting the lighter in its socket. That was it, no more blown fuses, never need the lighter anyway.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdh
I plugged my lighter in, obviously it wasn't clean as it would short my dash lights, tail lights and stereo fuse out. Kept replacing the fuse and it would keep blowing then emembered about putting the lighter in its socket. That was it, no more blown fuses, never need the lighter anyway.
This makes no sense. The tail lights and instrument cluster fuses are separate from each other and separate from the lighter. So even if his lighter had been spliced into a different lead and that happened to be his tail light lead and his lighter was bad and the fuse blew, he would still have instrument cluster lights.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
ashes0
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1977stroker
A bad head light switch would be my first suspicion.
Replaced the switch less than a year ago :/
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ashes0
...Went in and replaced the fuse however it immediately blows out....
Which fuse blows? IP or tail lights? Both?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM
ashes0
Instructor

Just the taillight fuse blows it seems, from what I know that fuse feeds the one that powers the console and that fuse is fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by ashes0
Just the taillight fuse blows it seems, from what I know that fuse feeds the one that powers the console and that fuse is fine.
Your right on, the instrument lights are on a separate fuse from the taillight fuse. The only source they share is the switch, which is why even at a year old I would suspect this is the likely culprit.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

This makes no sense. The tail lights and instrument cluster fuses are separate from each other and separate from the lighter. So even if his lighter had been spliced into a different lead and that happened to be his tail light lead and his lighter was bad and the fuse blew, he would still have instrument cluster lights.
Sense or not, I full dash lights, stereo and tail lights. Always had brake lights.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:19 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

A good spot to isolate the rear taillights is behind the drivers kick panel. If you cut the circuit here, it would indicate the problem is the switch or in the harness between the switch and the fuse or the switch and the taillights.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdh
Sense or not, I full dash lights, stereo and tail lights. Always had brake lights.
For that to happen you would have had to have blown 3 different fuses. Even if your lighter and stereo had been rewired to a shared source, you'd still have had to have blown 2 fuses.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Never underestimate Bubba.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

For that to happen you would have had to have blown 3 different fuses. Even if your lighter and stereo had been rewired to a shared source, you'd still have had to have blown 2 fuses.
You may be right as it was night, I was a few hours from home and just made it to an auto store as it was closing. Bought an led flashlight and replaced a few fuses as I was in a restaurant parking lot, contorted trying to get at them in the dark and drawing a crowd. My wife and m-inlaw already ordered and there was no bloody way I wanted to stay overnight in her place. I imagine some of you have been in a similar situation.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdh
You may be right as it was night, I was a few hours from home and just made it to an auto store as it was closing. Bought an led flashlight and replaced a few fuses as I was in a restaurant parking lot, contorted trying to get at them in the dark and drawing a crowd. My wife and m-inlaw already ordered and there was no bloody way I wanted to stay overnight in her place. I imagine some of you have been in a similar situation.
I'm not trying to bust your *****. But, I would suggest you run a new feed for your stereo and your lighter, you could piggyback your stereo but you should have a designated circuit for your lighter. One more suggestion, never offer your mother-in-law a ride a few hours from home, your just asking for trouble. Nothing good can ever come from that.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
ashes0
Instructor

Well I was able to get my taillights working at least, I pulled the fuse for the dash lights and just plugged in my fuses for my taillights and it didn't blow.

Well hey, at least it's legal to drive now as its my daily driver @.@

I'm guessing this means the problem lies within the dash?

Get notified of new replies

To Tailights and Dash lights are out.

Quick Reply: Tailights and Dash lights are out.