C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3

I hate the mirrors on my 75. I have the 77 style sport mirrors on the car currently. Also, the rear view mirror bothered me so much that I took it off. That big rear view mirror being so close to me (and I'm over 6 foot) causes a giant blind spot right where I need to see. I use both side mirrors to drive and the over the shoulder method. The problem with the side mirrors is that they don't see over the quarter panels. I have thought about going to the original style chrome mirrors on both sides which stand up higher. But, that would be too easy.

Has anyone out there ever installed the C5 or C6 side mirrors with working electrics on the C3? Any other mirror ideas out there?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you could be the first, I have the chrome mirrors 'tall' on my 76, and they re partially blocked also, but not as bad
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The view out of the stock side mirrors suck. Go for the swap to newer. I also thought about it and think it would look great
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, to start this project I guess I need a drivers side C5 or C6 mirror. I've looked at both on cars and it seems that the C6 mirror base is a little higher so I'm going to try and get my hands on a C6 mirror. I will measure the difference between the mounting angle on a C3 and a C6. I'm also going to have to study the schematics for the C6 to see what I have to do to make the electronics work. I would probably locate the controls on the console.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like an interesting idea. Would love to see how it turns out.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it would look awesome! Keep us posted on progress, preferably with pics
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess this project is underway because I ordered a C6 drivers mirror today for only $80. I will take plenty of pics. I'm not able to post attachments yet. I'm still learning this forum stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

There is a C3 with C5 mirrors on it out there.

Its been a few years since the pics were posted and I can't remember the members name to find them.

They looked good on the car,

Neal
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like we are going C6. I think the mirrors are the same but the base is a little taller on the C6. Perfect timing for me to do this because I am having to repaint the back of the car because of a little accident.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I did this very swap on my 80 last year. I used the C5 Mirrors and if I was to do all over again I would of used the C6 because as said they are a little bit taller. With the C5 Mirrors You can see over and around the rear fenders of the car but the majority of the Mirror is still filled with Fender. The install is very easy but like all of these swaps its the details that hold You up. The Gasket that goes between the Mirror and the door is not avalable new so If You don't get these with a used pair your out of luck. There are a couple of diffrent versions of these Mirrors and the wireing changes a bit between the era's. The later ones are Heated. They are all of coarse power ajusted. The Glass is not all that good and they delaminate pretty easy.The little Motors fail and its easy to break new Glass installing them. If I was to do it all over again I would probably just buy everything new, they are avalable from Corvette Central and others. So You are going to need a switch to run them and the best solution is to use the 81-82 Switch and just put in the Stock spot under the Parking Brake handle. Only problem is that this switch is a Corvette only one, they didn't come in diffrent cars, and they didn't make that many and they are prone to fail. Looking for one I found used ones to be selling for $300. The C5-6 Switch would be easy but I didn't like it, its got a seperate L-R and then the Joy stick. Its made to fit a door panel bezel, not a console. I used the late C4 Switch, its real simple, a single Joy stick and you just twist it left or right for each mirror. I put it in the 81-82 location, I removed the Trim Plate and bonded it to the bottom of the Console. You would never know it wasn't stock. You will probably have to dimple the Transmission Hump a bit for the Plug. Getting the corect Plugs can prove difficult as per all plugs on modern cars, I ended up getting a Complete Wireing Harness for C5 Doors on e-bay. However cutting the Plugs off and Soldering the Wires would work fine to. I set up both Mirrors and the Joystick on my work bench and made everything work before transfering it to the Car. I figured that would be the hardest part but it went pretty well. I ended up having a lot of Wireing Color Changes, One of my Mirrors is an early one and one late, my door harness had a color code of its own, and no the C4 Joy stick dosn't match any of them either. As far as the Heated Mirrors I drew the Line and didn't even bother. The Mounting area of the Mirror is larger than the C3, and You will need to Drill some new Holes. Because its larger it will cover up the old Holes, and no Paint Work or body work will need to be done on the Door. The Stock Studs and Nuts are the right lenght, and don't hit the Glass.
The following users liked this post:
73sbvert (04-28-2020)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I did this very swap on my 80 last year. I used the C5 Mirrors and if I was to do all over again I would of used the C6 because as said they are a little bit taller. With the C5 Mirrors You can see over and around the rear fenders of the car but the majority of the Mirror is still filled with Fender. The install is very easy but like all of these swaps its the details that hold You up. The Gasket that goes between the Mirror and the door is not avalable new so If You don't get these with a used pair your out of luck. There are a couple of diffrent versions of these Mirrors and the wireing changes a bit between the era's. The later ones are Heated. They are all of coarse power ajusted. The Glass is not all that good and they delaminate pretty easy.The little Motors fail and its easy to break new Glass installing them. If I was to do it all over again I would probably just buy everything new, they are avalable from Corvette Central and others. So You are going to need a switch to run them and the best solution is to use the 81-82 Switch and just put in the Stock spot under the Parking Brake handle. Only problem is that this switch is a Corvette only one, they didn't come in diffrent cars, and they didn't make that many and they are prone to fail. Looking for one I found used ones to be selling for $300. The C5-6 Switch would be easy but I didn't like it, its got a seperate L-R and then the Joy stick. Its made to fit a door panel bezel, not a console. I used the late C4 Switch, its real simple, a single Joy stick and you just twist it left or right for each mirror. I put it in the 81-82 location, I removed the Trim Plate and bonded it to the bottom of the Console. You would never know it wasn't stock. You will probably have to dimple the Transmission Hump a bit for the Plug. Getting the corect Plugs can prove difficult as per all plugs on modern cars, I ended up getting a Complete Wireing Harness for C5 Doors on e-bay. However cutting the Plugs off and Soldering the Wires would work fine to. I set up both Mirrors and the Joystick on my work bench and made everything work before transfering it to the Car. I figured that would be the hardest part but it went pretty well. I ended up having a lot of Wireing Color Changes, One of my Mirrors is an early one and one late, my door harness had a color code of its own, and no the C4 Joy stick dosn't match any of them either. As far as the Heated Mirrors I drew the Line and didn't even bother. The Mounting area of the Mirror is larger than the C3, and You will need to Drill some new Holes. Because its larger it will cover up the old Holes, and no Paint Work or body work will need to be done on the Door. The Stock Studs and Nuts are the right lenght, and don't hit the Glass.
Would love to see some pics.
The following users liked this post:
73sbvert (04-28-2020)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I pick up my mirror tomorrow. It is a C6 aftermarket mirror. Since it is new it should come with the gasket. Hopefully the quality will be ok.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteguy22
Would love to see some pics.
I second that. Can't wait to see what it looks like.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil" Red Corvette
I second that. Can't wait to see what it looks like.
I'll try to get some Pictures in the next Day or two. They won't be posted here but I should be able to post them on Photobucket and should able to provide a Link or something of that sort.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
There is a C3 with C5 mirrors on it out there.

Its been a few years since the pics were posted and I can't remember the members name to find them.

They looked good on the car,

Neal
Yes you are correct. I remember this vette. It was dark blue. There is a thread about putting sport mirrors on a chrome bumper car. I think that would look good. But I didntl like the c5/6 mirrors on that car.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3

Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

My car had no mirrors when I bought it, and looked at a few options that had been done to other c3s.

Olds Aurora mirrors

Honda Del Sol mirrors look similar, and I think I've seen pics of them installed on a vette, but can't find any now.

I bought some Italian sport mirrors like the car below has. I haven't mounted them yet. They'll look good, but may have questionable viewing.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have the 77 sport style mirrors on my car now. I love the way they look. They just don't work. I pick up the C6 mirror that I ordered today. Hopefully it won't look out of place on the car. It has to work better.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
dhaskins
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny I have had a C5 drivers side mirror for about 3 months from a door I bought off craigslist for $25.00. I have sports mirrors now but was thinking if I found a passenger mirror for cheap I would try the C5 mirrors. Well I found one for around $50 and it should be here tomorrow. I started looking to see if anyone had done this mode and found this thread yesterday.

My doors are going to be repainted so I'm not worried about the current holes but Gale, did you move the mirror any further up or back from where sports mirrors mounted? Did you have to shave much of the mount to get the angle right?

If I get mine mounted in the next couple of days I will post a picture but It will be after I get my strut rods done hopefully tonight.

Does anyone have the pin-outs of the wiring of the mirros? I'm already using the C6 door handles and have the wiring for the door panels.

Quick Reply: C5/C6 Electric Mirrors on C3