C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Console wiring problem

I have started to reinstall the new interior on my vette, When I went to install the console, I found that I have two wires that look like they came off a soldered connection......but.....when I looked around the area I could not see where they came from. As the wires are only about 6" long, it really limits where they could go.
I am pretty sure that they have something to do with the power windows as the two wires are broken off of the mirror adjustment switch wire pack of six wires.
Also, a function check before I attached the console found that everything works except for the power mirrors (and they have not worked for a while).
The only wiring diagram that I have is from the Haynes manual, and it does not show power mirrors, so I could not see where the wires go.
I thought that maybe they were for a ground, but when I grounded them, the mirrors still did not work.
Any suggestions?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by idcwmidi; 03-09-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year do you have?

When you look at the bottom of the console, do you have wires hooked up to your power windows?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those colors do go to the selector switch. Blue left and green is right off the selector switch, black button you see just below the round joy stick looking switch.

Jim
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Those colors do go to the selector switch. Blue left and green is right off the selector switch, black button you see just below the round joy stick looking switch.

Jim
I have a separate wire bundle going to the black door mirror selector switch. These two wires break out of the "joystick" wire bundle. I have tried to take a couple photos of the back side.

It is a 1981 vette.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottw
What year do you have?

When you look at the bottom of the console, do you have wires hooked up to your power windows?
Windows work fine. Only the power mirrors do not work.....but they have not worked for a while so there is no guarantee that these wires have something to do with the mirror problem......but it would make sense.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Those wires go the mirror select switch along with the other 4 that are already there.

Go here for a free wiring diagram

Last edited by '75; 03-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 PM
idcwmidi
Instructor

Thanks guys. With the input and the wiring diagram, I see and understand where the wires go.

I will remove the switch and repair. I have been without mirror adjustment for 15 years......I will not know how to act with them working.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This site is awesome......!

Get notified of new replies

To Console wiring problem

Quick Reply: Console wiring problem