C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 08:59 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do?

what emissions junk did they slap on corvettes(and other cars as well)and what do they do? Thanks
Old 06-22-2002, 10:09 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (garagedweller2)

EGR -- Exhaust Gas Recirculation (self-explanatory)
AIR pump -- belt-driven pump that forced fresh air into exhaust ports
PCV -- Positive Crankcase Recirculation (not a bad thing)
EFE -- vapor containment system (I think)
Catalytic converter -- they were AWFUL in the '70s!

That's about all I can think of for now...
Old 06-22-2002, 11:42 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (page62)

Expanding a little....

EGR -- Exhaust Gas Recirculation
*Sends a portion of the exhaust gasses back into the engine's intake for another go-round. I don't recall the exact science behind it, but it alters the intake mixture (obviously) and helps reduce emissions.

AIR pump -- belt-driven pump that forced fresh air into exhaust ports
*By puming fresh Oxygen (air) into the exhaust, you provide additional Oxygen for the bad compounds in the exhaust to react with to form GOOD things.

PCV -- Positive Crankcase Recirculation (not a bad thing)
*Take the volatile fumes from inside of the engine and send them through the carb to be burnt. Perviouusly, those emissions were just allowed to go out into the air.

EFE -- vapor containment system (I think)
*brain fart. Can't remember

Catalytic converter -- they were AWFUL in the '70s!
*Uses prescious and semi-prescious metals as catalysts (forces a reaction to happen faster) in order to convert BAD exhaust gasses into GOOD exhaust gasses.
Converts Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) into Nitrogen and Oxygen
Converts Carbon Monoxide (CO) into Carbon DI-oxide (CO2)
Converts Hydrocarbons (HxCx) into Water and Carbon Dioxide

Have you had chemestry yet? When you do, ask your teacher if they don't bring it up. You might want to check out Catalytic Converters at http://www.howstuffworks.com

Dave
Old 06-22-2002, 11:46 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (ddecart)

EFE - Early Fuel Evaporation which is the new name for the heat riser valve. Forces warm/hot air back up the system at start up to help the car warm up faster.

An over engineered brain fart.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:46 AM
Robert Holtman
Drifting

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (garagedweller2)

what emissions junk did they slap on corvettes(and other cars as well) TOO MANY! and what do they do? IRRITATE ME!
Sorry couldn't think of anything more useful. Buy a car made before your state checks it. I don't know what year New York starts the check. You'll be happier in the long run. Smog ****'s are a royal pain in the butt who should be avoided at all costs if you want to modify your car for performance. And another thing, stop being so apologetic for your nationality! I myself HATE fart piped, sticker charged, big butt winged, ricer cars too but it has nothing to do with nationalities of drivers. Hell I can't stand idiot "Cowboys" with 12' high 4x4's that have never seen mud just a little more than ricers and some of them have blonder hair and bluer eyes then I have! The thing is "ricer" is a term of a type of person not a skin color.
Piece :cheers:
Old 06-23-2002, 01:08 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

It took nearly 50 years for the engineers to figger out how to get an internal combustion engine to run right, then along came the smog *****....and that set back the program about 30 years right there....
the only saving grace to the internal combustion engine has been electronics, the issue of proper fuel burning under widely varying circumstances can only be adequately addressed by computers.....not by building mechanical kludge on top of mechanical kludge.....
A carb by it's very nature is one kludge on top of another, the ability of any mechanical device to run a gasoline engine properly is severely limited at best, and woefully inadequate at worst....the issues involved are just too great for simple solutions....
I would spend more time learning electronics and computers and basic engine theory....library is full of books on the topics....learning the old tyme methods of carb and ignition, allthough cute and quaint is not the useful information needed for the future....in other words, quit wasting time with basically useless information....
I don't mean to be hard or bitter sounding, but in fact, them's the facts....

GENE :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D
Old 06-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 06-23-2002, 09:26 AM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

thanks
Old 06-23-2002, 09:37 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (ddecart)

The mess is the fault of :jester Congress who passed laws that were unknown how to meet. Despite comments from time to time by some who should know better all C3 had controls. GM threatened to stop making cars. The cars were so loaded w/ controls by 73-4 that new cars were having trouble meeting GM driveability stds.! So GM wanted the converters ....
Add TCS to the list.

Carbs are not near as bad as Gene's post could lead you to believe. There is some truth in it. Since Gene likes gas milage, Jag XKE 4.2 3 carbs 18 mpg, Lotus Elan said to get 30 mpg at 100 mph, Chevy 350 @ steady low speed w/ Q-J said to get about 30 mpg...

HP is no problem w/ carbs. I do find it a little funny that some of us :cool: are still running carbs.

:cool:

[Modified by Ganey, 7:59 PM 6/23/2002]
Old 06-23-2002, 01:58 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (Ganey)

Ganey is right about the 73 and 74 cars. Mine had all sorts of hesitations and little driveability glitches when I first got it, this was my fist carberated car so I figured I just wasn't used to it. After about 2 weeks I got the power itch again and started de-smogging it. It drives so much better after that it was like night and day especially when the distributor was recurved. Its come a long way since then but I'd have a hard time putting it all back on to go back to the little glitches again.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 06-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Viking88
Intermediate

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (73 LS-4)

Hey Guys, I Just finished taking my 75 back to smog stock. I've found that it runs better( I sould say more pleasnt, and if I'd fixed "bubba's" mistakes it probablly would have been a Great Running car). I know it doesn't have the power it's capable of having but for now the State of California dictates what I do if I want to drive it on a daily basis. It is a pain to get it all working together so as to get rid of the "gitches" in operation. It drive nice and crisp. Fun Daily driver and smog legal in CA. 2005 I Bring back the Power If all goes well with the present legislation. Until then, I'm concentrating on suspension and looks.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (Viking88)

Oh my God! Someone with a stock configuration like mine. Bless you! All kidding aside, they do run very well when all the systems are in sync.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (paul79)

They also had TCS = Thermal Controlled Spark in 1970. It's a vac advance limiter gizmo. ~Juliet
Old 06-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (Juliet)

Juliet,
Do not see you around C3 much these days! Nice to see a post from you. And I learned what a TCS is: a big bonus. Thanks for that.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (Juliet)

They also had TCS = Thermal Controlled Spark in 1970. It's a vac advance limiter gizmo. ~Juliet
Juliet

Try Transmission Control Spark, another :reddevil

If they had put in enough cam, could have skipped the egr.

:cool:
Old 06-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do? (Ganey)

Try Transmission Control Spark, another :reddevil
:smash: You got me Ganey. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do?

Quick Reply: What emissions stuff were put on corvettes and what do they do?