C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Hub454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wires

I have installed a new engine(427) and need to know which terminals on the start to use. I have 4 wires going to the starter. 2 of the wires go to the big terminal on the back but I am not sure of the other two. I do have a coil so one of the wires is for that. Does any one have a pic of a starter with 4 wires hooked up? Or some wiring diagrams with the factory colors?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are a few pics from mine. I am not a wiring guy. But I know the larger of the 2 bolts connect the ground, fusible link wires and maybe the ignition if you have say an MSD box.
The smaller terminal which is closest to the block, is for 12v..I think... Do not pay attn to the orange wire on the smaller terminal, I use that for my bump starter when I needed to lash my valves. The other smaller terminal is not used. This is a stock starter. If you need better pics, I can get some newer images.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Hub454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Pic it helps alot. I thought I might not need the small terminal on the left. Just the one closest to the block.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You have the two large wires correct.
The purple goes to the small solenoid terminal closest to the block.
The yellow goes to the small out board terminal.
http://www.vetteprojects.com/bmv/mis...tte%201968.pdf
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Here are a few pics from mine. I am not a wiring guy. But I know the larger of the 2 bolts connect the ground, fusible link wires and maybe the ignition if you have say an MSD box.
The smaller terminal which is closest to the block, is for 12v..I think... Do not pay attn to the orange wire on the smaller terminal, I use that for my bump starter when I needed to lash my valves. The other smaller terminal is not used. This is a stock starter. If you need better pics, I can get some newer images.

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like the bolt that bolts the bracket to the side of the engine block on the far right side of your picture is loose...
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
You have the two large wires correct.
The purple goes to the small solenoid terminal closest to the block.
The yellow goes to the small out board terminal.
http://www.vetteprojects.com/bmv/mis...tte%201968.pdf
This is what you need. The pics posted by RebelRob appear to be for an HEI distributor but you have points.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

spdrcr29, yes good eye. It was loose but I torqued it down. These were assembly pics. I had to cut the little bracket to make it flush on the block with the BB conversion. This pic is about 2 years old. One thing I have learned is you can never take too many pics when taking something apart.

Yes, I have a MSD 6AL ign box and pro billet dizzy.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter wires

Quick Reply: Starter wires