C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on quickFuel carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 AM
nflo4385
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on quickFuel carb

Ok guys this is m first engine build ever just finished a 383stroker in m 80 vet should be around 500hp and I finally got it started up tonight for the first time ever and even though I am having some carb issues I was able to get the float levels close to where they need to be so I was able to get my car started up and running and able to break my cam in for the 20minutes. Here is my problem during the last minute of breaking my cam in the car started running choppy and when I gave it the throttle a mist of white smoke/cloud appeared to come out over the top of the carb, could you take a guess as to why this would happen. I shut the car off and haven't started it since being its night time anyways and don't wanna wake everyone up but lemme know what you think could cause this. I do have a couple water leaks on my intake manifold coolant bolts, nothing bad just drips as I forgot to wrap pipe tape around the threads. I do also plan on taking this somewhere to have someone do the fine tuning on the carb, just wanna know why I would have this white smoke, I do know the carb was running very rich could it be a plug burnt out? and is causing this? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you've answered your own question, intake water leaks
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The intake manifold bolts don't touch coolant. Wrapping them with pipe tape won't stop coolant from leaking past the threads, because there is no coolant to leak. Your leak is coming from the coolant jacket, past the intake manifold gasket. It's getting into the intake port. Gotta pull the intake manifold and make sure it seals. I like Ultra Gray RTV, go easy with it, just a dab'll do. High Tack around the intake ports. It's a good idea to put some sort of sealant on the intake bolts, but not because of coolant, because of oil. I like High Tack. Ultra Gray and High Tack are pretty much all I use. Well, Copper Spray-A-Gasket in some instances, like head gaskets.

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 09-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help on quickFuel carb

Quick Reply: Need help on quickFuel carb