C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the? Battery drain found...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Crahm
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What the? Battery drain found...

I finally had time to chase down the battery drain that has been haunting my 69 427/390 since reassembling it this summer.
My test showed I was draining about 77 milliamperes with everything off. This is too much, even if this was a modern car with a couple of computers.
I started with the alternator since I had installed a new one and thought it might be the problem. Turns out the exciter wire at the alternator did have something to do with the drain. I disconnected the harness under the steering column thinking the ignition switch might be the cause but had no change.
I checked the continuity with the loose exciter wire at the alternator with the chassis ground and sure enough, I had some flow. It wasn't a direct short, but made some sense with ohm's law. The resistance was measuring about 175 ohms which at 12.6 volts would be 72ma.
So I referenced the wiring diagram and see where the exciter switched ignition wire also (and only) powers the radio. I pulled the radio fuse and my drain usage dropped almost to zero ma. I remove the side panel to study the harness around the radio (original) thinking there was a worn place on the wire and that it was rubbing the chassis. But looked ok. By chance, I reached over and turned the **** of the radio. I switched off the radio and my drain went away!!!

I turned the radio back on and the milliamperes jumped back into the 70s but no sound comes out of the radio?
Clearly, the alternator is allowing 12v to flow from the hot battery connector, through the alternator, to the exciter wire, and then it is grounding through some resistance inside the radio!
Side note: when running, the alternator charges 14v and the radio works as well as a factory 69 radio can.

So, as long as I turn off the radio when shutting off the car, my battery will be good for restart. But it shouldn't be this way!

Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:14 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

kudos to you for tracing the drain.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great detective work .there should be a sticky on vette battery drain problems and solutions .
Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Crahm
...as long as I turn off the radio when shutting off the car, my battery will be good for restart. But it shouldn't be this way!...
No it shouldn't. With the radio turned off, there should be no power drain.

Just the same, I'm glad you found the culprit.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:25 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
great detective work .there should be a sticky on vette battery drain problems and solutions .
I agree. We need a "Best Practices" sticky for battery drain issues resolution... I have the ohms/voltage tester, continuity light and can buy most other simple tools at local auto parts store. Need the step-by-steps.

For example, if I am seeing battery drain, what are Procedures/Steps 1, 2, 3 and how do I do it in terms that are relevant to the C3 (in my case 1980 L48) and that a 'shade tree mechanic' can understand (yours truly).

Great info and thanks for sharing!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Crahm
Instructor

How does one start a sticky?
I think my basics are very helpful for anyone to start to find their battery drain.
I'll explain the procedure.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Your radio fuse should not have power with the key off, turning off the radio is not the root of the problem. Does unplugging the alternator stop the drain also?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Crahm
Instructor

'75 -
That's part of the confusion.
There's not enough power at the yellow wire to "run" the radio with the key off.
Questions:
Does the exciter wire connect to either of the 12v positive wires at the alternator? In other words, what components inside the alternator are in between the 12v heavy or sensing wire and the exciter wire?

I do feel something is amiss inside the radio. If I directly short the 12v heavy cable to the exciter wire (removing the alternator), I still have the same drain (of course when the radio switch is on).

If I place the test light on the radio fuse, I can't see it glow because the power drain (current) is so low.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Battery drain is a simple process of pulling fuses and checking the volt meter, 99% of the time that will locate your issue.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Details on the type of alternator and exactly which wire you are referring to would help. A diode on the wire going to the alternator would likely fix it but the alternator may simply be defective.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Crahm
'75 -
That's part of the confusion.
There's not enough power at the yellow wire to "run" the radio with the key off.
Questions:
Does the exciter wire connect to either of the 12v positive wires at the alternator? In other words, what components inside the alternator are in between the 12v heavy or sensing wire and the exciter wire?

I do feel something is amiss inside the radio. If I directly short the 12v heavy cable to the exciter wire (removing the alternator), I still have the same drain (of course when the radio switch is on).

If I place the test light on the radio fuse, I can't see it glow because the power drain (current) is so low.
One wire powers the radio, the other one is for the background light in the radio. I don't remember if the interior light (and the radio light with it) should be powered if the key is in the "off" position and the interior light switch in the dimmer switch is activated? Check that.

Also, any chance that you turned the key all the way back to the "ACC" position ("off" position is one click before the "acc" postion)? In that case the radio should have power.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Crahm
Instructor

Lionelhutz - standard three wire alternator. I've tried to be very clear about which alternator wires I'm discussing.
Exciter wire - the smaller, brown and white, switched
Sensor wire - medium red direct to battery
12v heavy - largest heavy 12v cable

Danish Shark - the brown ignition switched wire goes also to the fuse panel and provides power to the yellow radio 12v source wire. The panel lights system wiring is gray.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The brown wire should go through the charging light before it goes to the radio or anything else. Also, it should not have power with the key off so if you're seeing power on it back fed from the alternator then the alternator is bad.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Crahm
Instructor

Lionelhutz - 69s dont have a charging light.
This is my third alternator. I absolutely thought it was the alternator several times. The alternator shop was getting tired of seeing me.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:51 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

No light then there should be a resistor in the wire. Same difference, it shouldn't be a direct connection to the ignition switch wiring.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Crahm
Instructor

No resistance in the field or exciter wire is necessary.
The purpose if the bulb us only to let the user know if the alternator has stopped charging.
It does this because the failed alternator field square wave pattern drops and stays at 0v when not charging so the bulb lights up.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Crahm
Instructor

I just called the radio repair shop Corvette Radio and Repair, the guy who worked on my radio.
He confirmed with me i gave a leaking diode inside the radio. He basically said the radio can operate between 10.xx and 14 volts and if the power is too low it wont work. He said a leaking diode, radio switched on, and slight power coming from the alternator would drain a battery.

Get notified of new replies

To What the? Battery drain found...

Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

On my '72, the old alt had no markings on the case, so bear with me on this description....looking from the back of the alternator, the two pin regulator connector, like the replacements from the parts house will have a RED and White wire on them, most of the old wiring is shot due to vibration, and so the connectors changed out, the old wiring color codes were all unreadable in my car....SO....

of the two wires going to the regulator, the one that is MOST CLOCKWISE should always be hot with battery voltage it is the Red wire....

with the ignition off, the white wire should have NO voltage on it...and connected to the harness of course, obviously there is voltage on it with engine running, but the regulator is trying to ground it, which would light a dash/idiot light IF there was one, but like stated there is a resistor wire instead.....

with the ignition ON but engine not running, the two wires will both have 12 volts on them when unplugged from the alt....

IF the two wires are reversed, it is possible to blow the regulator, but maybe not every time....

Radio power should be on a brown wire, and switched on/off with ignition....

Last edited by mrvette; 11-25-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Crahm
Instructor

No, a resistance in the field/exciter wire is not required.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

The first Google link I looked at calls out the brown/white wire going to the alternator as "fusible link resistence wire" on a '71 wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: What the? Battery drain found...