C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c3 throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:15 AM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c3 throttle body spacers

not sure if i'm posting this right... i was wondering if anyone has tried throttle body spacers? maybe increase low end a lil?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

it is said it takes about 20 H.p to feel an increase in the seat of your pants, i would think 20 h.p with just that addition optimistic at best.
those systems need lots of work to get anywhere.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

With the stock air cleaner removed, I think you'll be bumping into your hood with that set up. The biggest bang for the buck is the Hypertec chip then if opportunity strikes, aluminum heads with the renegade manifold will put you near the 300 hp mark without sacrificing any low end torque that crossfire are known for
Old 01-23-2014, 05:01 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hugie82
With the stock air cleaner removed, I think you'll be bumping into your hood with that set up. The biggest bang for the buck is the Hypertec chip then if opportunity strikes, aluminum heads with the renegade manifold will put you near the 300 hp mark without sacrificing any low end torque that crossfire are known for
actually huggie they fit quite nice under the hood see first pic. it even has a 1/2 inch spacer under throttle body you can see from second pic. i might rework the inside of the hood a bit to get some of the cool air: second pic.... also already have the hypertec chip and 160 thermostat, 2 inch throttle bodies, reworked the intake runners, ported the heads, opened the stock headers as much as i could.... done alot on this build and not quite done...... yet.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have cnc milled aluminum spacers under my crossfire - 1/2 inch - and 2-1/2" air filters. Lid still fits under the hood - barely.

Supposedly the spacers help with the air flow. I know I have never had any problems with what was called puddling of fuel under the tbi's when vanes are removed. My vanes are still there, but the vertical sides of the vane body are dremeled away.

Hard to tell what improvement came from the spacers as I did alot of mods at the same time - porting, vane modification, fuel pressure bump, 85 fuel pump, open air cleaners (like the picture posted in this thread), injector spacers, iridium plugs, DUI coil, magnecor wires.

Do know the performance is a good bit better than stock. Am in the mid to high 6 second 0-60, vs the upper 7's for stock.

If you remember Twinnie/Twin Turbo, he made fun of my setup - called it a submarine sandwich. Twinnie is long gone and I am still here. He was too full of himself, albeit knowledgeable.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by old-hippie
actually huggie they fit quite nice under the hood see first pic. it even has a 1/2 inch spacer under throttle body you can see from second pic. i might rework the inside of the hood a bit to get some of the cool air: second pic.... also already have the hypertec chip and 160 thermostat, 2 inch throttle bodies, reworked the intake runners, ported the heads, opened the stock headers as much as i could.... done alot on this build and not quite done...... yet.

That looks pretty good. I thought the air cleaner hold downs would hit the stock CFI hood. Are you making a shroud to get the cold air intake functional again?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

That looks pretty good. I thought the air cleaner hold downs would hit the stock CFI hood. Are you making a shroud to get the cold air intake functional again?
I used wing nuts for hold downs. Not the best, but I don't care. Wing nut on passenger side will hit the lid if turned the wrong way. Have new engine mounts so not a problem with too much engine move. I am just, literally, at the limit. Sometimes I think about removing the spacers. Twinnie said they are useless. But we were having a pizzing contest way back when, so I left them. Have the gaskets to get rid of them. Maybe when weather gets warmer and I am no longer on a consulting job I will get rid of them.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would look more at porting the intake manifold, when i removed the intake from an 84CFI i was surprised to see that nearly half of the intake runner is left filled in, it seems to leave alot on the table so to speak in terms of flow.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

i am thinking about it... looks easy to do
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Larry82
I used wing nuts for hold downs. Not the best, but I don't care. Wing nut on passenger side will hit the lid if turned the wrong way. Have new engine mounts so not a problem with too much engine move. I am just, literally, at the limit. Sometimes I think about removing the spacers. Twinnie said they are useless. But we were having a pizzing contest way back when, so I left them. Have the gaskets to get rid of them. Maybe when weather gets warmer and I am no longer on a consulting job I will get rid of them.
i made these air cleaners from the bases on an gm 4 tech engine air cleaners, you know.... the iron duke. it was easy to adjust the height this way. mine are set to where the injector barley clears the air cleaner lid. i can still raise them if i make the air opening in the hood.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1977L48
i would look more at porting the intake manifold, when i removed the intake from an 84CFI i was surprised to see that nearly half of the intake runner is left filled in, it seems to leave alot on the table so to speak in terms of flow.
wait till ya see what i did with mine : ).... i'll post pics soon
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

My setup. At least 10 years old. Crossfire bases, dremeled down to a circular base, K&N filters, K&N lid, fabricated connector to go from offset to center of lid.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Here is picture of the offset for the lid screw down.

Also shows how I put a fuel pressure guage WITHIN the air cleaner. Another thing Twinnie and Ken73 could not be done. Again, neither show a presence here. Practical solutions drove them crazy.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Here is picture of the offset for the lid screw down.

Also shows how I put a fuel pressure guage WITHIN the air cleaner. Another thing Twinnie and Ken73 could not be done. Again, neither show a presence here. Practical solutions drove them crazy.
i bought my vette as a basket case allready in pieces. is that the original location for the stud with the oem air cleaner? mine is also offset like that.
i see how you did your gauge. is the material thick enough to get good threads there? you could actually hook a hose there and remote mount your gauge.
i dont know twinnie or ken... i am very new to forums although i've been a professional mechanic all my life.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

i bought my vette as a basket case allready in pieces. is that the original location for the stud with the oem air cleaner? mine is also offset like that.
i see how you did your gauge. is the material thick enough to get good threads there? you could actually hook a hose there and remote mount your gauge.
i dont know twinnie or ken... i am very new to forums although i've been a professional mechanic all my life.
I had a mechanic where I work tap the injector top. Gave him the 2 90* brass elbows. He tapped them overnight and never mentioned a problem. Had that setup for about 10 years. No leaks or anything. Did use teflon tape, though think I have heard that it does not do well with contact with gasoline. Again, no leaks.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

I had a mechanic where I work tap the injector top. Gave him the 2 90* brass elbows. He tapped them overnight and never mentioned a problem. Had that setup for about 10 years. No leaks or anything. Did use teflon tape, though think I have heard that it does not do well with contact with gasoline. Again, no leaks.
pipe threads are tappered. the tighter you get it... the better it seals. pipe threads need no sealers. the teflon tapes and pipe dopes only aid you in getting it tighter.though gas might mess up the teflon... it has to leak to get to the teflon

i woked and engineered hydraulic systems for many years with pressures over 200 times the 15psi on these tbi

your setup i'm sure works fine
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1977L48
i've taken this intake about as far as you can

Get notified of new replies

To c3 throttle body spacers

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i've taken this intake about as far as you can

great job on the intake .that took a lot of time .
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that does look good, i never understood why chevrolet never did that from the factory, 205hp is just sad for fuel injection
Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM
old-hippie
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by terry82
great job on the intake .that took a lot of time .
got that right.... many hours.... hope it pays off

Quick Reply: c3 throttle body spacers