C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temp Sensor for 77

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Coolant Temp Sensor for 77

I have searched and read alot of posts on a temp sensor that will fit aftermarket heads like the AFR heads I have....which has a 3/8 inch pipe thread versus the 1/2 inch pipe thread the original heads accepted. Lot of ideas like installing in the intake manifold, drilling and tapping the heads large, adapters, and using volvo temp sensor, etc.

What I am asking now is if there is anything new to solve this issue. Most of the threads I read are five years old. One solution I read that seems to have the most promise is using an 82 Vette sensor, which apparently has 3/8 and will work with 77 temp gage.....anyone done this or know if it works. Wilcox....you figured out anything new?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I have searched and read alot of posts on a temp sensor that will fit aftermarket heads like the AFR heads I have....which has a 3/8 inch pipe thread versus the 1/2 inch pipe thread the original heads accepted. Lot of ideas like installing in the intake manifold, drilling and tapping the heads large, adapters, and using volvo temp sensor, etc.

What I am asking now is if there is anything new to solve this issue. Most of the threads I read are five years old. One solution I read that seems to have the most promise is using an 82 Vette sensor, which apparently has 3/8 and will work with 77 temp gage.....anyone done this or know if it works. Wilcox....you figured out anything new?
You know what... I think I'm going to just start making them... I'll use the stock senders... might take a couple a week or so.... I'll post up when completed.

Willcox.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone

I put mine in the manifold and it works good there for my 77. Put plug in the head. It can also go in the extra hole in top of the water pump that probably has a plug in it now.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:13 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Wilcox

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
You know what... I think I'm going to just start making them... I'll use the stock senders... might take a couple a week or so.... I'll post up when completed.

Willcox.
That would be awesome. I could send you my original sensor as a core, please PM me when you have one to buy. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette

Willcox.
Awesome.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM
77C34SPD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn it down , and rethread to 3/8

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Temp Sensor for 77

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Sensor for 77