C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:36 AM
NickMaui
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from parking brake

I have a 73 with a rotational noise coming from the right rear. The car had been restored a little over ten years ago with only 6,000 miles since. Pulled the right rear rotor and found the front parking brake shoe rubbing on the axle flange. The spring holding down the shoe and backing plate both look okay. The bracket that retains both pads at the top is bent, doesn't appear to be designed to hold shoe under force. Has anyone experienced this before? My question is wether the parking lever is causing the shoe to come out of adjustment or if it is the mounting to the backing plate or the backing plate itself. The front shoe doesn't sit right at the top and appears may be caused by the lever. Don't want to replace everything and have the same thing occur. Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM
VetteNURSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMaui
I have a 73 with a rotational noise coming from the right rear. The car had been restored a little over ten years ago with only 6,000 miles since. Pulled the right rear rotor and found the front parking brake shoe rubbing on the axle flange. The spring holding down the shoe and backing plate both look okay. The bracket that retains both pads at the top is bent, doesn't appear to be designed to hold shoe under force. Has anyone experienced this before? My question is wether the parking lever is causing the shoe to come out of adjustment or if it is the mounting to the backing plate or the backing plate itself. The front shoe doesn't sit right at the top and appears may be caused by the lever. Don't want to replace everything and have the same thing occur. Thanks for the advise.

Quick Reply: Noise from parking brake