C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! BBC 69 with ALUMINUM Heads ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default HELP! BBC 69 with ALUMINUM Heads ???

Hi guys,

Have a 69 convert putting a 454 in with ALUMINUM heads...I am planning on running side pipes, BUT LOVE THE stock steel covers (good to avoid BBQ flesh!) vs the crazy pipe.

Apparently am told factory-style side pipes will NOT work with ALuminum heads on a BBC...

1) Anyone do a BBC with AL heads AND factory style side pipes?

2) ANyone using factory steel covers??

3) Or brake booster issues with AL heads??

Heard there are fitment issues...please let me know asap....
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Im assuming everyone is saying the exhaust wont work because of raised exhaust ports and the valve cover and booster wont fit because of higher than factory valve cover rails. I think before anyone can answer any questions youll need to let us know a little about the heads in question, what brand, model and specs?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
Im assuming everyone is saying the exhaust wont work because of raised exhaust ports and the valve cover and booster wont fit because of higher than factory valve cover rails. I think before anyone can answer any questions youll need to let us know a little about the heads in question, what brand, model and specs?
Anything with stock exhaust port height should be fine. There are 2 choices I'm aware of that have stock port location- Edelbrock and Brodix. I used the Edelbrocks because I also needed closed chamber heads and they were the only choice offering that in a good aluminum head. However, if I could have I would have bought the Brodix heads in a heartbeat. Here's a link to those- http://www.brodix.com/heads/big-bloc...block-series26
Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Factor
Hi guys,

Have a 69 convert putting a 454 in with ALUMINUM heads...I am planning on running side pipes, BUT LOVE THE stock steel covers (good to avoid BBQ flesh!) vs the crazy pipe.

Apparently am told factory-style side pipes will NOT work with ALuminum heads on a BBC...

1) Anyone do a BBC with AL heads AND factory style side pipes?

2) ANyone using factory steel covers??

3) Or brake booster issues with AL heads??

Heard there are fitment issues...please let me know asap....
Thanks!

I have a BBC (ZZ502) with Aluminum heads with factory sidepipes. I have the factory manifolds too, no issues. I don't have power brakes.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Ok. They r basic pro comp alum heads. Engine builder (Steve Coil Racing engines) takes their alum head w Nothing on it. He does all the construction on valves, valve job, honing, springs, rockers, etc. he uses their basic head for this.

I am cool w stock valve covers. And i have power brakes. Hedman has the right heqder, but bc of raised exhaust ports (0.4 raised) that makes it 0.4 too much. Qccording to hedman rep, that reason for raised is why it is not compatible as bolt on. Apparently they hug pretty tight to the frame rail.

So...if that makes the header .4 too short to clear---either headers get .4 longer or engine gets .4 shorter...any way to use engine cradle/horns (go on mount) to lower? Or will cause more issues down drivetrain?
I could go shorty or stock manifolds BUT they will steal 30-50 hp...??
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm kind of in the middle of a build and plan on using raised port BBC aluminum heads. I set a bare block in the car, put a set of raised port heads on with a pair of thick copper gaskets. All this just for mockup. The Hooker side exit headers fit just fine. Little bit close to the steering box and the clearance between the frame and the primary tubes was a little closer, but they did fit. The heads' ports were about .250 over stock height, and then I figured the two gaskets made about enough to cover a .300 raised port with a little bit extra. Not exact by any means, but close enough I'm comfortable spending north of $3k on heads and not having to replace the headers too. My stock rocker covers are still up in the air- the drippers will hit the rockers, but that's not a tough fix at all. A set of knock-off covers without the drippers and that's done.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

TimAT...you are using the same hooker side pipe setup as in the your avatar?
Do you have power brakes?

I was planning on using Hedman headers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68216/overview/

the tech said they will NOT fit because of the 0.4 raised AL head exhaust ports make these too short to clear the frame...because i want to continue using the factory side exhaust steel covers....to prevent BBQs...just looking for anyone who has done this?

Thanks,
R
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

anyone have a good pair of shorty headers for their alum heads?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i would say, you won't know until you try it. they may just go on fine or you may have to tweak them a little. but i guarantee somewhere someone has done it.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

That is what I figured...but talking to the manufacturer they SPECIFICALLY said it will not work. it is apparently contraindicated in that application.

sucks...I do not want to do shorties...b/c will kill my top end HP about 30 HP...
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Factor
That is what I figured...but talking to the manufacturer they SPECIFICALLY said it will not work. it is apparently contraindicated in that application.

sucks...I do not want to do shorties...b/c will kill my top end HP about 30 HP...
I wouldn't want to do a nice build and choke it with the wrong exhaust either. I would seriously talk to your builder and see if he could use the heads he planned for you on another engine. If yes, I'd grab the Brodix heads and make great power while solving the header problem.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

they specifically say lots of things, to cover them selves.
Edelbrock specifically says an R.P.M air gap intake won't fit under the hood of a 79 corvette, it fits under mine with a 1/2 in spacer. your just going to either accept their opinion or prove them wrong, i can tell you whats more rewarding.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

very true...

spoke with him...he said fine, but the difference in cost for the other heads is 1500. so really it becomes $1500 for 30 or so HP...

I agree with proving them wrong...but had a couple reps say they will not work.

what about getting custom headers made? wonder what that cost would be?

or get a GREAT Shorty header?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Factor
Burning Brakes

A fellow CF er Just seconded, getting them & trying them too. Hmmm. What is summits return policy on headers?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm dropping in a 454 with Pro Comp heads, Headman Headers and stock valve covers. Don't have it in the car yet so not certain of Header fit (Nothing a welder won't fix)
I'm running 2.5" exhaust back to Magnaflows
Exhaust port is raised +.625”

You should be able to make the sidepipes work

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Hwcoop---do u have power brakes (booster)?

I am leaning towards ordering & seeing...anyone know if u can "slightly" bend ceramic coated?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hwcoop---do u have power brakes (booster)?
No options, i just need to drive the water pump & Alternator
I have heard i may have clearance issues around the steering box but figure i can modify my headers if need be....mine are just painted

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! BBC 69 with ALUMINUM Heads ???

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Great! Thanks!

I am planning on converting to power brake booster...just wondering on clearance?

Thanks! guys!

R
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

My '69 has Edelbrock aluminum heads with Stainlessworks headers/sidepipes under the stock side pipe covers.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Les
Race Director

Originally Posted by Neil B
My '69 has Edelbrock aluminum heads with Stainlessworks headers/sidepipes under the stock side pipe covers.

Talk about spotless! Beautiful Vette!

Quick Reply: HELP! BBC 69 with ALUMINUM Heads ???