C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild Ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM
MMH2009
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rebuild Ideas.

Hi Folks,

I am in need of some ideas on a rebuild of my 69 427 390 horse manual. It's tired, I'd like it to look original-ish on the outside but be Ballsy as Hell internally. So internally its modified.

Have any of you had success with our type of motors with this sort of project?

I'm thinking roller cam, polished head, bigger pistons ect. But as we all know the right combo is what makes the difference. I'd like to keep the stock hood as well, using pump gas.

You thoughts & opinions are appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 386 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

By the time you jump thru all the hoops with your existing block, depending on the condition of the bore and how square everything is, you might be money ahead to take the plunge and build a 496. 4.310 bore and a 4.25 stroke. Looks stock on the outside too- no way to identify that anything has been done unless maybe someone looks close at the oil pan rails. Some pans have small kickouts between the bolts for rod clearance- but not all of them need that either. Depends on the pan.
Careful selection of parts will get you where you need to be on compression to make it pump gas happy. Cam, heads, and the rest all need to be figured into the mix too.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Ideas.