C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default supercharger

I put an after market serpentine belt kit in my 81 is there a supercharger that will work with it, or will i end up having to change everything,again?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by riarms
I put an after market serpentine belt kit in my 81 is there a supercharger that will work with it, or will i end up having to change everything,again?
Lars put one on a vette even documented it in a thread you might be able to find by searching his post.

oops!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:56 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Roots style or centrifical? Centrifical mounts where the alternator is located. Supercharger belt should just be for the charger. They don't make a S/C mounting bracket [centirfical] for the C3s that fits under our hood that I've found . Just got done mocking up a V1 on a modified mount to check for the clearances. All C3s that I've seen with Roots style have modified hoods which limit your visibility to the front right, but they sure give some great bragging rights and look so kool!. T
Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
modified hoods which limit your visibility to the front right, but they sure give some great bragging rights and look so kool!. T
They do limit the viability in the sense that if a toddler were standing in front and to the right of it you probably wouldn't see it, but as far as driving, it really doesn't hinder vision much.

oops!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:58 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I was running an Ecklers L88 hood scoup to cover up the Elde RPM air gap and could barely see the right front fender. Stock seats. I'm 5'8" adding Corbau A4 seats raised me up, then built a custom hood with a 2" rise that followed the original hood slope. Great visibility now. T
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

you can't see the front end anyway on these cars. o.k you can with the tops off and standing on the seat.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 6-71 with EFI and the hat only sticks out about 4 inches over the L88 hood. Visibility seems unrestricted but I am 6'2" with A4 seats as well.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Torqstorm makes a supercharger that will mount on the passenger side of your engine that is supposed to clear the hood. Assuming you do not have A/C of course. They were claiming that is makes 6-8 psi boost and costs 2800 for the entire kit. I wanted twin superchargers but they had not finished building a kit when I changed and went with a roots style instead.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:21 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
I was running an Ecklers L88 hood scoup to cover up the Elde RPM air gap and could barely see the right front fender. Stock seats. I'm 5'8" adding Corbau A4 seats raised me up, then built a custom hood with a 2" rise that followed the original hood slope. Great visibility now. T
Im running the L88 4" high rise it clears the rpm air gap and a 4" k and n by 1/2".

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
you can't see the front end anyway on these cars. o.k you can with the tops off and standing on the seat.
My point exactly.

Originally Posted by Jamess411
I have a 6-71 with EFI and the hat only sticks out about 4 inches over the L88 hood. Visibility seems unrestricted but I am 6'2" with A4 seats as well.
You got photos?

Torqstorm makes a supercharger that will mount on the passenger side of your engine that is supposed to clear the hood. Assuming you do not have A/C of course. They were claiming that is makes 6-8 psi boost and costs 2800 for the entire kit. I wanted twin superchargers but they had not finished building a kit when I changed and went with a roots style instead.
Sounds real interesting dual superchargers. Twin turbo is were the power is at, so a twin super charger might be nice seeing as i can't see any way to fit twin turbos although Jim did it wit a 555". Thanks for the info I'll check them out. I have a mp122" roots that I'll probably put on in a couple more years.

oops!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Jamess411
Racer

The engine during the install…still need to finalize wiring before looming them up and mount the gages on the back above the fuel lines to the injectors.

The car is still a work in progress but at least it looks like a car again. The Autofab/Moser M9 rear end kit is waiting at home to be installed in two weeks. Bought some M/T 29x15x15 S/R tires for the rear.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:45 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

The engine during the install…still need to finalize wiring before looming them up and mount the gages on the back above the fuel lines to the injectors.

The car is still a work in progress but at least it looks like a car again. The Autofab/Moser M9 rear end kit is waiting at home to be installed in two weeks. Bought some M/T 29x15x15 S/R tires for the rear.
That looks sweet, I asked about your rear diff in the tire section, disregard that. Can you share anything more about your combo?

oops!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Jamess411
Racer

It is a 420" SB with a 3.875 stroke and 6" rods. Dart Pro 1 215cc heads with a custom ground crower cam made for the blower and engine. The entire thing is studded and roller with a small bore 6-71 sitting on top. I wanted to run pump gas with the boost so decided to go with EFI and Meth injection to control any detonation possibilities under boost and to keep the timing. Everything not ignition related is Holley with a 6A MSD box and coil to light it off. A Holley HP computer is controlling with a Enderle Bug catcher and 8 60lb injectors feeding the engine. I figured out that the engine only needed 1050 CFM of air at 6500 rpm and 7 lbs of boost so I welded two block off plates inside the hat to make only one of the butterflies actually allow air in. One section allows 1090 cfm not allowing for the extra ram air pressure of the car moving at speed so I think I will be good. If it seems restricted at all I can just drill a couple small holes in the plates to flow more air later on.
There is still a ton of work and adjustments to make before any actual driving will be done and I like the journey and all the new stuff I am learning during the build.
When I get back home in two weeks I can install the rear and new HUGE rear tires to see if my measuring will result in the look that I want. There might have to be some reshaping of the rear flares to line up with the tire stance perfectly but that is a ways down the road.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

It is a 420" SB with a 3.875 stroke and 6" rods. Dart Pro 1 215cc heads with a custom ground crower cam made for the blower and engine. The entire thing is studded and roller with a small bore 6-71 sitting on top. I wanted to run pump gas with the boost so decided to go with EFI and Meth injection to control any detonation possibilities under boost and to keep the timing. Everything not ignition related is Holley with a 6A MSD box and coil to light it off. A Holley HP computer is controlling with a Enderle Bug catcher and 8 60lb injectors feeding the engine. I figured out that the engine only needed 1050 CFM of air at 6500 rpm and 7 lbs of boost so I welded two block off plates inside the hat to make only one of the butterflies actually allow air in. One section allows 1090 cfm not allowing for the extra ram air pressure of the car moving at speed so I think I will be good. If it seems restricted at all I can just drill a couple small holes in the plates to flow more air later on.
There is still a ton of work and adjustments to make before any actual driving will be done and I like the journey and all the new stuff I am learning during the build.
When I get back home in two weeks I can install the rear and new HUGE rear tires to see if my measuring will result in the look that I want. There might have to be some reshaping of the rear flares to line up with the tire stance perfectly but that is a ways down the road.
Very nice combo! What do you figure it's making power wise?

oops!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 PM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought some M/T 29x15x15 S/R tires for the rear. [/I][/QUOTE]

Good purchase.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:06 PM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have ac, it came with the aftermarket serpentine kit
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Jamess411
Racer

Hoping to be in the mid 700s but the guy that helped me pick out the EFI stuff and cam grind said that is a solid start with room to get more. Everything bought will support over 800 easy so its up to the tuning and supercharger now. It is a huge learning curve to go from moving the dist. and changing jets to hooking up my laptop and just changing numbers. Stiil trying to decide on plastic or stainless for the meth tank.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Hoping to be in the mid 700s but the guy that helped me pick out the EFI stuff and cam grind said that is a solid start with room to get more. Everything bought will support over 800 easy so its up to the tuning and supercharger now. It is a huge learning curve to go from moving the dist. and changing jets to hooking up my laptop and just changing numbers. Stiil trying to decide on plastic or stainless for the meth tank.
I would think and hope with 421" and a 671 you'd be a 700. I'm going to put my mp122" on my 400" and hoping to hit 620 to 650ish. I won't be putting it on for 1 to 2 winters from now, I want to let the ring gap open some.

Get notified of new replies

To supercharger

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeg sells a basic centrifugal blower set up for $2500 .
Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by garygnu
jeg sells a basic centrifugal blower set up for $2500 .
I haven't looked, what make. Then you have to by the blow offs (not sure on the terminology) &if you go intercool'd you you gotta buy the intercooler and piping, but if you got the basic kit and regulated by pulley size and used a little Meth injection. Centrifugal is what I really wanted to go with but at the time I couldn't see how I'd run an intercooler so after drunkin ebay I ended up with the mp122.

oops!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive got a pro charger D-1SC, which isn't fitted yet, but lead to believe will fit under hood, just had to put alt on other side of engine, having to use steering pump with remote res

so aiming for 900 + at the crank, engine all setup for force induction

dave

Last edited by corvettedave383; 09-13-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: supercharger