C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow Along with My Crossfire Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Follow Along with My Crossfire Rebuild

No pics yet, but I'm in the process of pulling the engine from my 82 for a rebuild. Parts I have so far are a Renegade intake, Dart SHP aluminum heads and Lunati Voodoo cam that works with the stock computer. I also have Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers and assorted gaskets and other goodies. Pushrods will be ordered after I get the heads on and check geometry. I'm hoping for just a hone and re-ring as far as the block work, but we'll see what the machine shop says when they get the block. I'm shooting for 9.5 compression with the 72cc heads I have. So far I've gotten all the accessories off the motor, the hood and radiator pulled and all the wiring harness and grounds disconnected from the engine. As soon as my friend shows up with his hoist we'll pull the motor. We're shooting for this weekend to get the motor out. I'll post progress pics as we go.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drawmain
No pics yet, but I'm in the process of pulling the engine from my 82 for a rebuild. Parts I have so far are a Renegade intake, Dart SHP aluminum heads and Lunati Voodoo cam that works with the stock computer. I also have Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers and assorted gaskets and other goodies. Pushrods will be ordered after I get the heads on and check geometry. I'm hoping for just a hone and re-ring as far as the block work, but we'll see what the machine shop says when they get the block. I'm shooting for 9.5 compression with the 72cc heads I have. So far I've gotten all the accessories off the motor, the hood and radiator pulled and all the wiring harness and grounds disconnected from the engine. As soon as my friend shows up with his hoist we'll pull the motor. We're shooting for this weekend to get the motor out. I'll post progress pics as we go.
Looking forward to you chronicling this build with text and pics.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Tommy82
Instructor

Before and after pics are always fun

I did mine about 2 yrs ago....
page 3 has before and after

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...r-project.html
Old 07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

That looks really cool Tommy! I'm not going to that extent with the paint, just cleaning and going with the stock colors. You have a great looking engine.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

are you happy getting the intake .others have tried and not got a response .
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

I am impressed with the intake's design. There are a few outlets now that sell the manifold, my advice is to call to confirm they are in stock before you order. It was a week between ordering and UPS delivering it so my experience was a good one.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Tommy82
Instructor

That looks really cool Tommy! I'm not going to that extent with the paint, just cleaning and going with the stock colors. You have a great looking engine.
Thanks man. I took the time and cleaned EVERYTHING. It was a lot of work and I was really into it. Good luck, Im sure you already know...but get some big ziplock bags and bag/label everything. Also take pics so you know how things go back on....I did...but I didnt take enough, plus I had an assembly manual which saved me.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default 07-04-14

Originally Posted by Tommy82
Before and after pics are always fun

I did mine about 2 yrs ago....
page 3 has before and after

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...r-project.html
Happy second anniversary!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Everything is labeled, all bolts are with their corresponding parts. The engine is still in the car for now, waiting on the cherry picker to arrive, but its just sitting in there with a few bolts to keep it stable. Once we get it out of the way and off to the machine shop I'll detail the engine compartment and get all the wiring organized and squared away. I found a less than perfect weld on my headers between the middle (3 and 5) tubes that I have to address. I may just purchase a ceramic coated set and call it a day, it depends on what is required to fix the weld.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I am impressed with the intake's design. There are a few outlets now that sell the manifold, my advice is to call to confirm they are in stock before you order. It was a week between ordering and UPS delivering it so my experience was a good one.
would be nice if some one would just swap out the intake and give before and after numbers for the intake swap.it has to be better than stock ,but it has never been proven on the dyno .
Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

I thought about it but all you would have gotten from me would have been "seat of the pants" dyno impressions. Alconk on here did the swap all other things staying stock, perhaps he can give you his impressions. I know I wouldn't have bought it at the price point it is at if I wasn't rebuilding and doing heads and cam.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think its a very good thing owners are upgrading their crossfire cars. I always liked the mix of crossram and EFI for induction. The intake was the limiting device and it took someone dedication to bring the crossfire to high performance where it belongs. Cool it was an individual that did it not a large established business.
Hope the new intake performs well and the designer is rewarded for his efforts.

Curious what are u running for exh sys. Cats or no cat? Single or dual?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Marc, sounds great, can't wait for the pics...

Also added the thread to the "sticky" under "HH"

Tom
Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cardo0
I think its a very good thing owners are upgrading their crossfire cars. I always liked the mix of crossram and EFI for induction. The intake was the limiting device and it took someone dedication to bring the crossfire to high performance where it belongs. Cool it was an individual that did it not a large established business.
Hope the new intake performs well and the designer is rewarded for his efforts.

Curious what are u running for exh sys. Cats or no cat? Single or dual?
The intake sure looks impressive, and I am with you on the induction system, I like the mix of EFI and crossram. Exhaust is 2-1/2" true duals, no H or X pipe, long tube headers with a heated O2 sensor, Magnaflow mufflers.

Tom, I can't wait to take some pics to show, lol. I'm still waiting on the friend with the cherry picker so we can get the motor out of the car and start disassembly.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

The cherry picker will be here tomorrow, pics to follow of the engine pull. I got all the pulleys and brackets refinished today and most of the headers stripped for painting.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

The engine is out...

Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Tommy82
Instructor

The engine is out...

Get diggin!

Get notified of new replies

To Follow Along with My Crossfire Rebuild

Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

After looking in each exhaust port, I noticed the valves were white. The engine is running lean for some reason. What are some things to check? The TBs were recently rebuilt, I get good cones from each injector with no drips. Fuel pressure was set to 13 psi, but I bumped it up to 14 psi in anticipation of the larger ports on both the heads and intake. Could it be the O2 sensor or the ECM?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Tommy82
Instructor

After looking in each exhaust port, I noticed the valves were white. The engine is running lean for some reason. What are some things to check? The TBs were recently rebuilt, I get good cones from each injector with no drips. Fuel pressure was set to 13 psi, but I bumped it up to 14 psi in anticipation of the larger ports on both the heads and intake. Could it be the O2 sensor or the ECM?
I had a couple that where white looking too when I pulled my engine.
I think i have pics too?...ill try and dig em up
Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Did you have to make any adjustments?

Quick Reply: Follow Along with My Crossfire Rebuild