C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defroster Valve Woes! HVAC Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Kingsley73
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Defroster Valve Woes! HVAC Help Please!

Hopefully this will be the first of many posts to come, but thank you for your anticipated help nonetheless!

I'm a first time C3 owner with a 71 BB and we're still getting to know each other. As I replace and/or work on minor issues as they come up I'm learning a lot, but this heating ductwork has me stumped. Furthermore the Assembly Manual and a host of other illustrations and pictures, or lack thereof, can't answer my question.

The picture below shows my defroster valve on the far driver side end of the duct (non a/c car). I can't seem to find a good picture of a non-a/c car with this valve or actuator in focus. I'm fairly certain this is the reason why my defroster won't engage but I can't find anything showing how it should look in proper working order!

So, here's to hoping the collective wisdom of this forum can help me out and get me on track to figuring out what part name/number I need to replace with! It just seems like a connecting pin or rod to the exterior tensioner is missing? I don't know what the inside looks like though.

Thank you!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Kingsley73
Heel & Toe

Does anyone know if you can even order a replacement for the assembly that hooks into the actuator? I guess that was the big question, I can't find a cutaway/schematic that details what is going on so I don't know exactly what is missing. It's very clear to me that something is not right given that there are two holes and a bracket which looks like it previously had two connections.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Kingsley73
Heel & Toe

Well, hopefully someone else can benefit from this as I have from so many other threads:

Thankfully I am fortunate enough to live 5 minutes away from Paragon and was able to drop by as I usually do, but I went over to the used/NOS parts building and sure enough they had exactly what I was asking about in stock. I was able to take pictures of the defroster actuator and how it is supposed to look from the side, and the top.

As it turns out, the two fasteners are there to adjust the tension on the flapper valve spring to assist the vacuum (Officially this is the "Defroster Door Vacuum Actuator" according to Dr. Rebuild) for opening/closing the door inside the duct that diverts airflow upward through the defroster. Thank you to the great guys at Paragon for digging this out and letting me snap some pictures.

Problem solved for me, I know I just need a couple of hex-head screws and a little luck. Hopefully this helps someone else down the road who needs a visual!
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 PM
hereigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Great pics and detail....This will help several!

Get notified of new replies

To Defroster Valve Woes! HVAC Help Please!

Quick Reply: Defroster Valve Woes! HVAC Help Please!