C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Linkage Questions/Issues

Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Trans Linkage Questions/Issues

Allright. Finally getting this thing back together, but I'm having a few issues with trans linkage.

I had the Transmission rebuilt after I pulled it out with the original motor (4 speed Muncie). I left the shifter and linkage in the car when I pulled them. New engine is back in along with the trans. New Clutch Kit, Flywheel, Fork etc. (I still have to replace the clutch rod from the fork to the z bar, I have it on order...old one is a bit roached)

Filled the Trans with Sta Lube GL-4 85w90. All linkages re-attached. Clutch engagement seems fine. I have about an inch or so of travel before engagement starts.

Rowing through the gears (keep in mind, I haven't started the car yet) seems okay (slightly notchy), but when I pull up on the T and put it in reverse, it feels fine, but it's difficult to shake it out of reverse into neutral. I have to 'hit' the gear shift ****, kind of in a sweet spot to get it to kick out.

When it's stuck between this 'half way point' between reverse and neutral, it is actually IN Neutral because I can rotate the driveshaft

So I am assuming this is a linkage issue. I looked and it doesn't appear that anything is binding up? It also feels a bit notchy rowing from 1st through 4th.

Is it possible that the gears aren't properly coated in enough oil since the car hasn't been started?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

did you adjust the shift linkage using the metal shim/gauge in the slot in the shifter?

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=177
Old 09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

It may be that with the clutch engaged, the gears are binding. I wouldn't worry until you have the clutch linkage installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Linkage Questions/Issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans Linkage Questions/Issues