C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone rebuilt a fuel gauge or swapped faces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
If you ever find out where you can buy those little black, gauge rivets, please post that information as I'm interested!
Hum.. I stock these in the gauge room.. not sure if they are on the site or not.. But I can assure you they will be tomorrow..

Willcox
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is a ground wire for the sending unit back at the fuel tank. I believe that it is mounted to one of the frame rails. If the connection there is 'iffy' or if the ground wire is frayed, it could provide the "jumpy" signal to the gauge, also.

I have never seen such a problem because of the gauge. But if Willcox says it can happen, I'll accept that it can.
7T1vette right about all the ground so make sure you check it too..

I should have been a bit more clear on my post. If the gauge is working but over-responsive.... then it's done..

By over responsive, I mean if you turn right or left and the needle sways.. or if you shake the rear of the car and you can watch the sway of the needle... The dampening fluid is gone and the while it will read correctly, fixing the sway issue will exceed the cost of a new gauge.

Years back, Roger approached me about putting a capacitor inline to reduce (slow) the input and stop the sway.... After testing I came to the conclusion that Roger belonged in the nice Florida sunshine.. lol

Do-able, yes.. but this is not a long term fix or something that would be cost efficient, and neither is pulling the old gauge and injecting fluid into it.

IMHO,

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-22-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Willcox, the gauge does follow your described symptom (bounces above and below where it should be reading, and only when the car is in motion). I ordered my sending unit from you (was not the issue, obviously). So now I have a working 1970 sending unit sitting around.

I will work on ruling out a ground issue before buying a new gauge.

Last edited by SharkAttack; 01-22-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
Thanks Willcox, the gauge does follow your described symptom (bounces above and below where it should be reading, and only when the car is in motion). I ordered my sending unit from you (was not the issue, obviously). So now I have a working 1970 sending unit sitting around.

I will work on ruling out a ground issue before buying a new gauge.
If the issue is just sway in the gauge the only thing it could be is the gauge. If you have 3/4 tank of gas when sitting still and you start driving and the dash unit sways, say with a turn or a hard bump, then the issue is the dash unit.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If the issue is just sway in the gauge the only thing it could be is the gauge. If you have 3/4 tank of gas when sitting still and you start driving and the dash unit sways, say with a turn or a hard bump, then the issue is the dash unit.
My thanks to the Willcox team, I purchased the sending unit and gauge from them related to this issue and even purchased other stuff while at it. Hoping to install the gauge soon.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Finally had time to install the gauge and it fixed the bouncing needle problem. Used florescent orange paint to re-paint all of the needles so they match (otherwise the brand new gauge needle was much brighter than the faded older gauge needles).

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuilt a fuel gauge or swapped faces?