C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Oil Leaks in a 383

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by jkippin
at idle pull the breathers out and start the engine do you have puffs of smoke vapor coming out of the holes? jazz the throttle quickly any smoke/vapor?
That should tell you the problem.
Nothin' visible came out of the breather holes on startup. No fog, vapor, mist......nothing.

BTW:
Anyone here have a problem with this type of high rise Valve Cover Hold Down "nut"?

Steve
Old 01-03-2015, 03:04 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

damn 28 years you gat me beat by 20 LOL wished I stayed in I would have been retired a few years ago now. LOL
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

pull the valve cover quick and check the gasket....
Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 PM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am experiencing a similar problem. well , one of many. I removed the engine and did a leak down test at TDC and BDC. Nothing higher than 10% most were 5%. So when I removed the intake, the gasket was wet with oil. I used a gasket with the heat crossover blocked with a little metal insert. So my theory is an exhaust leak past the gasket, pressurizing the crank case, giving the impression of blow by. I was using a quart of oil per tank full of gas. It sounds far fetched and maybe some one here can comment. I hope that's all it is.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

pull the valve cover quick and check the gasket....
May not get to it right away, but yes, I'll check the gasket.

BTW, what are the best, most dependable valve cover gaskets out there?

Steve
Old 01-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hamck
I am experiencing a similar problem. well , one of many. I removed the engine and did a leak down test at TDC and BDC. Nothing higher than 10% most were 5%. So when I removed the intake, the gasket was wet with oil. I used a gasket with the heat crossover blocked with a little metal insert. So my theory is an exhaust leak past the gasket, pressurizing the crank case, giving the impression of blow by. I was using a quart of oil per tank full of gas. It sounds far fetched and maybe some one here can comment. I hope that's all it is.
I think I left that metal insert out when I laid down the intake gaskets. I did put a thin layer of RTV around the water holes only.

Steve
Old 01-03-2015, 04:54 PM
hamck
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
I think I left that metal insert out when I laid down the intake gaskets. I did put a thin layer of RTV around the water holes only.

Steve
Me too only I left the insert in
Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Default Pulled the Plugs

Well, no molten metal on them anyway. #3 & 8 look a little grayish.

500 miles on them and the new engine. Compression check next, then the leakdown exam after that.

Steve
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

plugs look clean no signs of anything there, she maybe lean porcelain looks super clean. Are you sure that is not the valve cover leaking and the turbulence under the hood blowing oil everywhere?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Well, no molten metal on them anyway. #3 & 8 look a little grayish.

500 miles on them and the new engine. Compression check next, then the leakdown exam after that.

Steve
while they are out you could read your plugs for future reference. Use this guide.

http://honda-tech.com/forced-inducti...ug***-3063102/
Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

plugs look clean no signs of anything there, she maybe lean porcelain looks super clean. Are you sure that is not the valve cover leaking and the turbulence under the hood blowing oil everywhere?
Positive.
After shutoff, a quick look of the left Valve Cover Breather shows oil dripping from it's lower underside edge. Removing the Breather then, and setting it on it's edge, lets the oil really drain out.

And the rivet that holds the oil filler cap together: oil comes outta there too;

I was told by the Stroker kit manufacturer to expect a compression ratio of over 10:1, so perhaps until the rings seat,

Steve
Old 01-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
while they are out you could read your plugs for future reference. Use this guide.

http://honda-tech.com/forced-inducti...ug***-3063102/
Plenty of info on plugs there! Extremely informative REELAV8R.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-04-2015, 11:22 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Do a compression test on # 3 and compare it to any other cylinder other than #8 as it looks suspect as well.
Looking for markedly lower compression to indicate a ring seal problem.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 PM
forvicjr
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck man. Definately a crank case pressure issue. Hell i had one sending steam out the valve covers. Turned out it was ARP's crappy headbolt sealer that came with a kit from them. My machinest told me to pull them one by one clean and lube with oil and re torque. Problem solved......

Sure sounds like ring seal to me. Could dump the oil you have and go to a non detergent 30 wt and see if they will seat. I started one on 20/50 castrol and no go on ring seal. Dumped and went with some extra cheap 30 wt and another couple hundred miles they seated. Im sure not as well as they should have but kept me outa the motor.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Do a compression test on # 3 and compare it to any other cylinder other than #8 as it looks suspect as well.
Looking for markedly lower compression to indicate a ring seal problem.
First two cylinder readings I just completed:
#1: 175 psi
#3: 179 psi

When the engine turns over for the testing, it doesn't sound normal. Like there's one cylinder that doesn't sound like the rest.

Back to the garage.
Steve
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

First two cylinder readings I just completed:
#1: 175 psi
#3: 179 psi

When the engine turns over for the testing, it doesn't sound normal. Like there's one cylinder that doesn't sound like the rest.

Back to the garage.
Steve
Both of those sound a bit low, but Ok, test the rest, see if you can find the smokin gun. What cam you using?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Both of those sound a bit low, but Ok, test the rest, see if you can find the smokin gun. What cam you using?
This one:

The plugs, with all their readings (psi).:

#5 is the lowest. It's in the left head, which is the side where all the oil leaking is. The right side (Valve Cover/Breather} is tight, with no oil leaking.

I really wanna do a leakdown test on #5.

Steve

Last edited by Cavu2u; 01-05-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Serious Oil Leaks in a 383

Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have had the baffles be inadequate on aftermarket valve covers. High volume pump, lots of oil in the valve cover plus poor baffles could be the issue. When I was about 20 I junked a nice, forged 302 engine that was leaking oil and smoking. Installed a new engine with my cool valve covers and breather/pcv. New engine smoked and leaked at the breathers too. Poor baffles were allowing the aerated oil mist to suck through the PCV and saturate and leak out the breathers. I think my cool valve covers were Mickey Thompsons. Try a different left valve cover with known good baffles. Your compression is good, Nothin' visible came out of the breather holes on startup. No fog, vapor, mist......nothing.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
I have had the baffles be inadequate on aftermarket valve covers. High volume pump, lots of oil in the valve cover plus poor baffles could be the issue. When I was about 20 I junked a nice, forged 302 engine that was leaking oil and smoking. Installed a new engine with my cool valve covers and breather/pcv. New engine smoked and leaked at the breathers too. Poor baffles were allowing the aerated oil mist to suck through the PCV and saturate and leak out the breathers. I think my cool valve covers were Mickey Thompsons. Try a different left valve cover with known good baffles. Your compression is good, Nothin' visible came out of the breather holes on startup. No fog, vapor, mist......nothing.
Yeah 63mako, nothing visible came out the breather holes on engine runup. And YES, those are Mickey Thompson's. M/T cast on the exterior.
Well, next question: Which valve cover to buy?

Thanks much.

But even before that:

A good friend just told me of a case pressurization problem he had once. Said he faintly remembered it was a head gasket problem.

Now, I remember having to remove that head, because a hole under it had no oil plug installed, and it spewed oil when I went to prime it with a drill and distributor shaft (To my horror!).

Now perhaps I never prepped the block correctly when I put a new head gasket on. I'm just thinking aloud, that anything disturbed is a chance for something bad to happen.

Steve
Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Cavu2u, I'm trying to get the whole picture here to see if something is up with those compression figures.
I figure your cam overlap at 63*. That and a late intake closing angle of 71*, would make the compression figures lower.
However in figuring your CR with 4cc pistons 4.030" of bore .040" of squish distance (distance down the bore plus gasket thickness) 5.7" rods, 3.75" stroke and 64cc combustion chamber.

With tthose specs and cam I come up with CR 11.23:1, and a DCR of 8.98:1. Both of which would be unsatisfactory for a street motor on pump gas.
Are the specs I used correct?

Edit: If i manualyy input your intake valve closing I get 8.55 DCR. Still pushing the edge of the envelope for pump gas.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 01-05-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Serious Oil Leaks in a 383