C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter replacement?

Hi All,

Thinkin its time to replace the starter- any tips? Do I have to jack the car up to do this, or can I get it done just by working from the hood?

Thanks!
Greg

Old 08-06-2002, 02:54 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Starter replacement? (Captain_Kaboom)

You will have to get under the car. Remove the wires from the terminals and label them if you are not familer with doing this. Remove the rear brace if it is still there. Remove the two main bolts from the front of the starter and the starter should come out. There might be a shim between the block and the nose of the starter. Keep this and replace it with the new starter. If it is not there don't worry about it not all cars needed this shim.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:58 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Starter replacement? (Gordonm)

One additional word of caution. MAKE SURE you disconnect the battery first or you will have BIG problem. :eek:

You will resemble your forum name... ...Kaboom!!! :cuss

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 1:59 PM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful undoing those two starter bolts. It is heavy, so make sure you are holding it up with your hand!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:01 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Well shoot. I don't have any stands to get under the car to do this. I was hoping to be able to replace it in my driveway instead of towin' her to a garage.....

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2002, 04:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

You can get creative on this. Do you have curbs in your area. Drive the car so the two right side tires are on the curb and the left on the street. That should give you enough room to get under there. BTW If you own a Corvette you should have jackstands. There are going to be more repairs that require you to get under the car. :D
Old 08-06-2002, 05:39 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I was going to post a wise-butt suggestion that it is easily removed
after you take the body off the frame. :lol: :lol:

But seriously - the curb idea sounds good - but it sounds like the car won't start.
If you have a jack :D then jack it up. Ebrake on - wheels blocked.
Put whatever you have around under the front right wheel - and left
front if you have enough. I would use a cement block/patio block or
pieces of plywood/2x10 stacked high enough. Depending on the
jack's lift height - you might have to raise it up in a couple steps.

Make sure that the blocks/boards that are placed under the tire are
sturdy before crawling under. Leave the jack in place - just in case.

This technique has worked well for me - when the stands were being used elsewhere.
:seeya

[Modified by Daves_rusty_75, 4:42 PM 8/6/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Langadorf
Pro

I had a string of starter problems last year and I got to the point where I can get it out and a new one installed in 10 to 15 minutes.

You should be able to disconnect the cables from under the hood before you jack it up. Then just jack it up a little, drop the two bolts while being sure to support the starter. If you're careful, you don't need to get your body under the car, just your arms - so you shouldn't have to worry about jack stands.

If you have long arms or access to a small person, you could even possibly get it out without having to jack it up.

[Modified by Langadorf, 12:08 AM 8/7/2002]
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Doug2500
Instructor

Find yourself a good mini starter, much better design than the big old ones.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got all the radio interference shielding in place, so I can't get to the starter wires from above. Fortunately GM thought of this and made the solenoid (S terminal on starter) wire long enough to drop the starter until one end hits the pavement and the other end in the air, so that the nut and wire can be removed. However, you will need to get under the car (or from the hood if you don't have the shielding) and remove the main power cable which is just barely long enough to fit around the large stud. There's also a ground wire which runs from the frame to engine in that area...you may want to remove it so it doesn't get in the way...it's also a good time to inspect it for wear and replace it if it's getting threadbare. while you are at it you should make sure there is a heat shield between the starter and exhaust pipe....also a good time to take a look at the exhaust donuts to see if they are even there, or require replacing.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Default Re: Starter replacement? (Rockn-Roll)

Oh man, I think I need to get some Zaino....nice shine!

Picked the vette back up this afternoon, she cranked right up and drove home just fine. Restarted it 7 times after getting it back while it was still hot. Grrr.
Man, no wonder that sucker gets hot. Looks like it sits right under my L48. Reading up on all of this in the Chilton's book and definately starting to worry me- it mentions that on some years you may have to lift the block out a bit in order to remove the starter. I hope that ain't a 77 that the book is talking about....

Old 08-06-2002, 11:19 PM
gerry c
Racer

Well shoot. I don't have any stands to get under the car to do this. I was hoping to be able to replace it in my driveway instead of towin' her to a garage.....
You will probably save enough money to pay for a cheap floor jack and a set of jack stands by doing it yourself. Should cost you less then $80 for a rebuilt starter, jack stands and the floor jack. I would be surprised if a garage will let you off for less than that for just the starter, with labor and extra $30 or so. You will then have the floor jack and jack stands for other projects.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:08 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Don't worry- you won't have to jack up the motor to remove the starter. I don't know what car that would be on, but if it is so, it is probably some big block. Starter is easy do it yourself but as suggested by others DISCONNECT THE BATTERY CABLES!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter replacement?

Quick Reply: Starter replacement?