C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rag joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 121 Posts

Default New Rag joint

I am having the steering box rebuilt. The bottom seal was gone, which left the unit virtually dry and we developed a bit of play in the steering.

My question is the rag joint. From the searches of done here, replacements are not quite the quality units the GM rag joints were.

I usually use Guldstrand parts, ZIP and Paragon with much success in the past. Anyone know a quality rag joint? I can call a few places and see where they are made. Any helpful advise appreciated.

http://www.guldstrand.com/scripts/pr...?idproduct=134 is one I was considering.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Also, if I find NOS, for a 1969 Corvette with power steering, what was the original part number? Anywhere to find that.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 PM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was going to do the same and got the fr1734. Really a night/day difference

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005/s0004/FR1734
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I spent a few months on eBay and these forums (in the parts wanted/for sale section) and got an original GM joint. At the very least, you need to use the correct shouldered bolts that the originals ran to ensure the correct compression is maintained on the "rag" material.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

1963 thru early 1969 the Corvette steering gear input shaft was 3/4 inch diameter with 36 splines. Sometime during the 1969 model year the input shaft was changed to 30 course splines with a machined flat.

The Gulstrand flexible coupling assembly shown in the earlier posting has a 3/4 inch diameter, full round, 36 spline "bowtie" flange so would be for the earlier Corvette gears. It appears to be an original GM part.

Flexible coupling assemblies for the 1967 thru early 1969 were original GM part numbers 5699250 or 7806391.

Flexible coupling assemblies for 1969 late thru 1982 were 7808553, 7813351, & 7818568.

You may note that the original GM flexible coupling discs are constructed of 7 alternate layers of neoprene rubber and cotton cloth and are 3/8 inch thick. These discs are quite stiff and provide good road feel.

(FYI) Passenger cars with power steering had flexible coupling discs that were the same 3/8 inch thick but had only 4 layers of rubber and cloth. With the extra rubber between layers, these discs were rather soft but provided superior isolation so as to prevent hydraulic noise from the power steering system from coming directly up the steering column and into the driver compartment.

Hope you have luck finding the original (OEM) assemblies because they will undoubtedly be of better quality and most likely stiffer than off-shore parts.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 01-27-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: More explanation
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Jim thanks for the reply. I found two NOS: 271617501317 and 331329638339 and was told l both will work for a 1969 with power steering. Is one referable?

Also, to a point Jim made in his last sentence:

“Hope you have luck finding the original (OEM) assemblies because they will undoubtedly be of better quality and most likely stiffer than off-shore parts.”

I call Guldstrand, ZIP and Paragon. Both admitted they had the part, they could sell me the part, but it was made in China and that I may want to consider NOS instead. I have to admire that type honesty and professionalism.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cottoneg,
First of all, what type input shaft do you have on your steering gear. Do you have the theoretical 36 spline, full round 3/4 inch input shaft? Or do you have the theoretical 30 spline, 3/4 inch input shaft with the flat?

It is important because you should try to have the correct flexible coupling assembly with the correct mating splines to fit your gear input shaft.

Here is one sceneario:
You just will not be able to install the coupling assembly with the bowtie that has a flat onto the earlier full round input shaft. You might be able to "hog out" the flat in the bowtie with a speed grinder and force it onto the full round input shaft. Or possibly mill a flat on the input shaft. You will not have matching splines so I don't know if things can be forced or not.

I really hate to describe forcing things together, particularly when we are talking about a critical function like steering your car.

The flexible coupling assembly part numbers that I referenced were the GM part numbers for the OEM parts. I do not have anything to cross reference the part numbers that you sight. As I mentioned earlier, the Gulfstran flex coupling assembly picture has a full round, 36 spline, 3/4 inch dia bowtie flange.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 01-27-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Jim
I ask this question because the original poster showed interest in a coupler that was removed from a 69 BB with P/S.
The numbers read (as best as I can tell) are 7807063. Below that row there is a circle with a "K" in the center followed by a "W". It has a 3/4" input shaft with 16 splines (with the cinch bolt at the bottom) going from 8 o'clock to 1 o'clock. the output shaft is 1" and has 20 splines going from 9:30 to 2:30 o'clock. There are no flats. It has a copper connector in the center. It has 7 layers in the fabric area.
What is this?
Jeff

Last edited by jnb5101; 01-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Cottoneg,
First of all, what type input shaft do you have on your steering gear. Do you have the theoretical 36 spline, full round 3/4 inch input shaft? Or do you have the theoretical 30 spline, 3/4 inch input shaft with the flat?

It is important because you should try to have the correct flexible coupling assembly with the correct mating splines to fit your gear input shaft.

Here is one sceneario:
You just will not be able to install the coupling assembly with the bowtie that has a flat onto the earlier full round input shaft. You might be able to "hog out" the flat in the bowtie with a speed grinder and force it onto the full round input shaft. Or possibly mill a flat on the input shaft. You will not have matching splines so I don't know if things can be forced or not.

I really hate to describe forcing things together, particularly when we are talking about a critical function like steering your car.

The flexible coupling assembly part numbers that I referenced were the GM part numbers for the OEM parts. I do not have anything to cross reference the part numbers that you sight. As I mentioned earlier, the Gulfstran flex coupling assembly picture has a full round, 36 spline, 3/4 inch dia bowtie flange.
Jim
Mine is the 36 spline, full round 3/4 inch input shaft. The car has power steering.

What is the difference between Flexible coupling assemblies GM part numbers 5699250 or 7806391? Is one power steering and one non power?

Last edited by cottoneg; 01-27-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-27-2015, 03:18 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

I have attached pictures (front and rear) of my current rag joint.
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The picture(s) is of an original 7806391 flexible coupling assembly. This assembly has a full round bowtie flange with splines based on 36 teeth in 360 degrees.

One distinguishing feature on your assembly is the extended heads on the two shoulder bolts. Here is a drawing of one of the bolts.

Also your original flexible coupling assembly has the brass ground strap connecting adjacent quadrants so as to complete the horn ground circuit. Service flexible coupling assemblies (manufactured after 197O) did not have a ground strap but had a coupling disc with wire screening molded into one face. This screening provided the ground path for the horn.

So other than the extended head bolts the two parts look the same and would function the same.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To New Rag joint

Quick Reply: New Rag joint