C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

borgeson install - q on compressing steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default borgeson install - q on compressing steering column

First off, thanks to Mr. Green to a very helpful thread on the install process. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html

I have a specific question on compressing the steering column. As you can see in the picture below i still have a fair amount of compressing to do but to do so it seems like i need to remove what looks like a slotted retainer piece. Looking at a number of other threads, as well as parts schemas, etc, I dont see any reference to this piece. Is appears to be pressed/slid on. What exactly is its function and can it be removed without issue. Also any recommendations on how to remove would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

What year are you working on?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
What year are you working on?
Whoops, sorry about that. SHould have mentioned its 1968.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:40 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Ok so my impatience got the best of me...

I just tapped it off, came off very easy but when removed it allows the end of the spring that goes up in the column to come out so I assume I need it or something equivalent to keep the spring up where it belongs. Maybe i can shorten it to required length and just put it back? I feels brittle plastic that is likely to crack/break if I try to cut it.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:41 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I used to own a 68, It was a telescope only. I would call Borg on Monday & ask them this Question. I installed a 69 tilt & telescope in it & had to install the dash out of the 69 for the key location. The other hope is that one of the forum members that has had a lot of these columns apart. Sorry I am no help, but it is interesting Question. Gene
Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by dropTopTx
Ok so my impatience got the best of me...

I just tapped it off, came off very easy but when removed it allows the end of the spring that goes up in the column to come out so I assume I need it or something equivalent to keep the spring up where it belongs. Maybe i can shorten it to required length and just put it back? I feels brittle plastic that is likely to crack/break if I try to cut it.
Well it turned out much easier than expected.

I measured the plastic piece and slowly cut it with a hacksaw. The 47 year old plastic held up well, no cracks or issues

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I've recently started my Borgeson install as well and am having a HELL of a time collapsing the steering column. Mine's a '69 originally a manual car and it has a collar looking thing on the shaft near the firewall. Side question...mine has this little arm that's attached to the shaft right at the fireall that doesn't move with the shaft itself but does rotate around about 15-20 degrees. Looks like it may have had a spring or something attached to it at some time. What is it?

Anywho, how the heck do you collapse a stubborn shaft? I'm afraid I'm starting to tear up the end of the shaft now but only moved it maybe a quarter inch. I spent 2 hours straight beating on it last night and finally gave up for the night.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by tshort
I've recently started my Borgeson install as well and am having a HELL of a time collapsing the steering column. Mine's a '69 originally a manual car and it has a collar looking thing on the shaft near the firewall. Side question...mine has this little arm that's attached to the shaft right at the fireall that doesn't move with the shaft itself but does rotate around about 15-20 degrees. Looks like it may have had a spring or something attached to it at some time. What is it?

Anywho, how the heck do you collapse a stubborn shaft? I'm afraid I'm starting to tear up the end of the shaft now but only moved it maybe a quarter inch. I spent 2 hours straight beating on it last night and finally gave up for the night.
Travis - I first scraped/cleaned/polished with steel wool to get it as clean as possible. I then soaked it with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. I drilled a hole partially thru a cut 2x4 and taped to the end. I guess I was lucky as mine broke free on about the 3rd decent hit with the small sledge and then easily tapped along. My biggest concern was that it would break free and collapse too far and would be hell to get back out. Definitely not a job that just needs a bigger hammer!
Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 PM
wogs73
Advanced

I had to completely remove my column and spray penetrating oil on it and let it soak for a day. Then I had to replace the column bearing as it was rusted to the shaft Once the bearing was off it moved freely. Put a new bearing on and reinstalled the column.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 PM
grandadmorgan
Cruising

Default grandad

on my 81 i cut the spline off, ground the splines, drilled and installed a through bolt & nut
Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tshort

That lever arm connects the steering lock to the tranny through a cable. The tranny goes into reverse which causes the cable to rotate the steering lock in the top of the shaft to allow the key to be removed.

On my '69 I used a brass drift to tap the shaft back in but only after removing the entire column from the car. I still had to use a small hand file to redress the splines and end of the shaft, it mushroomed even using a brass drift.
I wish I had left mine about 1/4" longer so be very careful. I used the Borgson U joint connector instead of the flex coupling supplied with the box so had to move the shaft inward a little more. Oh well, maybe an aftermarket column is in my future.

Get notified of new replies

To borgeson install - q on compressing steering column

Quick Reply: borgeson install - q on compressing steering column