C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 front end rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Default 81 front end rebuild questions.

I've been considering finally tackling my front end. My thoughts are to completely rebuild and install the borgeson system at the same time. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to tackle the project. For one I don't think I'll finish before the summer is over (i'm slow and will be learning as I go and don't have a lot of spare time to devote to the project) and thus won't get to drive it much this year. But I see Wilcox is having a 20% off sale on suspension parts this weekend and need to decide if it's time to pull the trigger.

Questions:
1. Poly or rubber? I had the rear end done (including rebuilding TAs) sometime around Y2K with poly. But I'm thinking rubber because I've read the ride is better. (I don't drive the car much. Bought in 99 with 49k and has just over 60k now.)

2. Moog or not? I would purchase the USA made kit. But is it Moog? Should I definately go with Moog?

3. Is this 20% off a really good deal right now or is that a price that is available many times in a year?

4. (This seems like a silly question but) If I make the purchase now, is the shelf life of the parts long enough that it won't make a difference if I don't actually start the project until winter or maybe even next winter.

5. I'm assuming I want the deluxe kit rather than the major but welcome any advice.

6. Would you choose Wilcox over a different supplier or vice versa?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a front suspension rebuild and Borgeson replacement at the same time. Like yourself I work slowly and don't have enough time to devote to the vette. That said, if I were doing this again I'd take one one project at time. I'd start with suspension rebuild first. Get that dialed in properly and then move on to the steering. Shortens the amount of time the vette is off the road.

I get project ADD and try to take on too much at once. Sometimes it can get overwhelming and the next thing you know it's been 6 months or a year. While I'm still finishing up final touches of the suspension and steering now I'm installing a T5 5 speed tranny too. It never ends!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I went with Moog because of the horror stories of cheap offshore junk being sold.
I used Prothain poly bushings with mixed review. After 2 years and about 5000 miles, I can see some crushing of the upper control arm bushing but no flex as of yet.
I would suggest replacing everything you intend on replacing. Alignments aren't cheap and almost every change requires an alignment.
Wilcox has always given me good quality parts for a good price but with any vendor, ask questions. Wilcox is always willing to talk!
Good luck
Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by arklacat
...I'm not sure I'm quite ready to tackle the project...
Wait until you are ready. There will be sales deals in the future.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will read to learn a bit more before I make my decision. I've just started seriously studying what I need to do and don't think I'm informed enough yet to make my decisions.

I think I will just do the suspension first. If it improves the handling significantly I may just keep the stock steering system and overhaul it.

I would like some opinions on the difference in the "USA made" components and the Moog components. It seems the a total rebuild with moog will cost in the neighborhood of double the kit sold by Willcox and others. I don't mind the extra expense if it is really worth it, but certainly don't won't to spend money that is not necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 front end rebuild questions.

Quick Reply: 81 front end rebuild questions.