C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley electric choke

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Holley electric choke

Weather is nice enough now around here that I got the '79 out of storage. Fired right up and runs great. Problem is after driving it for five or ten minutes, the choke comes back on and I am continually trying to kick down the fast idle. The carb is a 770 Holley Street Avenger with an electric choke. The choke is set up properly. The heating coil works. There is power at the choke when the ignition is on. When I turn the ignition on without the engine running the choke comes off nicely within about three minutes. With the engine running, however, the choke doesn't quite open as fully. I have a couple of ideas. One, does the choke wire on a '79 supply power at all times when the engine is running or does it shut off after the engine warms up (which might allow the choke to come back on)? Second, is it possible to assemble the choke incorrectly so the vacuum pull-off works in reverse and actually applies the choke? Any Holley experts out there who might know?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Be sure that you have a full 12 volts going to the choke from a switched source and the ground side is going to a good location on the engine.

If you have the full 12 volts, you can also loosen the screws that hold the black plastic cover to the choke assembly and turn the choke cover to pull the choke off earlier. The best way is to warm the engine fully and make the adjustment then with the engine running. Adjust it so that fully warmed, it pulls the choke fully open.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 05-03-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 AM
waynelap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the pin on the carb is in the hole on the coil. I missed it on my first install and had a similar issue.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

All that stuff checks out. I had the carb off and bench tested the choke. Works perfectly. Put it back on the car and turned on the ignition. 12 volts at the coil (14 when running). Choke works perfectly until I start the car. Then the choke closes slightly from where it was when the car was off. Enough that the fast idle will come back on periodically. Seems to be a vacuum related problem to me.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:26 PM
waynelap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My choke is set to, when the engine is cold there is about 1/8 in gap between the butterfly and the carb horn. It is never fully closed. When the car is warm the butterfly is fully open and there is "some" tension on the butterfly holding it open. I don't understand why vacuum would have any effect? The only other thing I would check is that its wired correctly and not to a source that is drawing power also when your driving. (eg electric fans) I have the manual from my carb that describes the choke adjustment if you need it but I'm sure the Holley site has it also. Good Luck.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM
olescarb
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
All that stuff checks out. I had the carb off and bench tested the choke. Works perfectly. Put it back on the car and turned on the ignition. 12 volts at the coil (14 when running). Choke works perfectly until I start the car. Then the choke closes slightly from where it was when the car was off. Enough that the fast idle will come back on periodically. Seems to be a vacuum related problem to me.
The choke piston uses vacuum that flows thru the choke system to open the choke about 1/4 open once the engine starts but that colder air from the engine compartment can cause the choke to not fully open. We have had to restrict the air that flow into the choke to allow the choke to get to fully open in cool weather, we used a cap with a 1/32" hole placed over the clean air inlet to the choke housing which allowed the choke piston to function properly and allow the electric choke to fully open as designed.

I hope this helps Henry @ oles carb
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by olescarb
The choke piston uses vacuum that flows thru the choke system to open the choke about 1/4 open once the engine starts but that colder air from the engine compartment can cause the choke to not fully open. We have had to restrict the air that flow into the choke to allow the choke to get to fully open in cool weather, we used a cap with a 1/32" hole placed over the clean air inlet to the choke housing which allowed the choke piston to function properly and allow the electric choke to fully open as designed.

I hope this helps Henry @ oles carb
Yes that does help. That makes a lot of sense. The weather is still cool here. I will give that a try. Thanks.

But it still doesn't explain why the choke opens fully with the engine off, but comes back on slightly when I start the engine. Its almost as if the vacuum pull-off is working in reverse. Is that possible? Could I have installed the linkage backwards last time I rebuilt the carb?

Get notified of new replies

To Holley electric choke

Quick Reply: Holley electric choke