C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about headrests on a '69

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 09:40 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Question about headrests on a '69

The headrests were missing from my seats when I bought my car. I just bought a couple on ebay and I need to recover them. I was looking at the Rik's catalog and they list vinyl covers, leather covers, molded ABS covers, and a service where they will install new molded ABS covers for you. I have leather seats. My question: the original headrests w/leather seats were molded ABS, not leather? I've got to admit, I prefer the thought of putting the leather covers on (and they're cheaper), but if ABS is original, I may go that way anyway.

JB
Old 08-15-2002, 07:23 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (JB)

The headrest covers were vinyl on all cars, regardless of whether they had vinyl or leather seats. The ABS deal must be a "cover up", made to fit over an existing headrest. Chuck
Old 08-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My car is identical in looks to yours and I have leather seats with the vinyl headrests, at least I think they're vinyl and not molded, but they look fine to me. Leather rests would be more perfect but then you might have to change door panel trim and so on. The only problem I have is the head rest rubs against the back deck lid and wear marks show. I re-did my interior and never used the pads for head rests if anyone is interested.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:17 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (Chuck Gongloff)

The headrest covers were vinyl on all cars, regardless of whether they had vinyl or leather seats. The ABS deal must be a "cover up", made to fit over an existing headrest. Chuck
Well, if I understand the description in their catalog right, Rik's both sells "cover up" ABS and offers a service where they remold your headrests on new foam.

Surfer69, you've got email.

JB

JB
Old 08-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do believe that the headrests were ABS like the door panels. Mine were vinyl covered but I took the covers off and the original ABS were still very nice except the under side of the bottom. I can't remember where I saw this topic. I think even Eckler's catalogue states that originals were ABS.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I have the originals on my car and they are vinyl over molded foam. I saw them used at Carlisle last year for $100 each.
Gary
Old 08-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (gtr1999)

Mine are definately molded over foam, I just assumed the material was ABS ... That's what Eckler's catalogue calls it.. I tcould be vinyl but they have no seams.. real or imitation.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:14 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (gtr1999)

I have the originals on my car and they are vinyl over molded foam. I saw them used at Carlisle last year for $100 each.
Gary
:eek: Guess I got a deal, then--both for $70 on ebay.

Thanks for the help, guys.

JB
Old 08-16-2002, 05:44 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (silvervetteman)

Hi Silvervetteman: Original door panels weren't ABS either...they were/are vinyl covered over a "masonite" like fiberboard backing. Reproductions are moulded plastic. Also, original rear quarter panel trim pieces are vinyl covered while reproductions are moulded plastic.

When I think of ABS plastic, I think of a rather hard material. Can't imagine a headrest made of this. I would think it would be hard as a rock. :) Chuck
Old 08-16-2002, 06:12 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Chuck... I know what you mean... I work with various plastics daily and there are MANY varieties of the same type of plastic much as there are numerous types of rubber. Eckler's calls their original headrests ABS.. My headests are not exactly soft like vinyl but they're are not the "hard" stuff either. I was very surprised when I uncovered them. The only sorta bad spots you cannot see when they are on the seats. The covers I took off were ok but I just wondered what the originals looked like. Since The replacement covers were stapled and glued at the bottom I could have re-installed them easily. As matter of fact if someone wants the covers they are in good condition, brite blue and i'll give them away.
Old 08-16-2002, 11:38 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Question about headrests on a '69 (silvervetteman)

As matter of fact if someone wants the covers they are in good condition, brite blue and i'll give them away.
Hmmm, I wonder how those would take some red interior paint. . . . :D

JB

[Modified by JB, 9:40 AM 8/16/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Question about headrests on a '69

Quick Reply: Question about headrests on a '69