C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edlebrock RPM Air Gap vs AFR Titan is anyone using the AFR

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:28 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Edlebrock RPM Air Gap vs AFR Titan is anyone using the AFR

My professional products crosswind is junk so I need a new manifold.

It is between the RPM Air gap and the AFR Titan. From what I have read the AFR is posting big numbers over Edelbrock and Weiand on a 383. Curious if anyone is using the AFR Titan and if you have expierenced any issues.

Bottom line: RPM Air Gap or Titan??

On the 383 air gap pulled 471HP the Titan had 486HP

Thanks

Bo
Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 PM
BEVO76
Pro

AFR Titan composite intake.....is anyone running this on their vette
Old 05-31-2015, 12:54 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Most people seem to test the AFR as 10hp higher or more. It's a pretty easy, but expensive, way to get power.

If you don't mind the cash, sounds like the way to go. You can also switch to a single plane if it floats your boat without having to pull the whole intake.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 AM
BEVO76
Pro

Good to know! From what I have been reading its 30hp more than then professional products crosswinds. That's a pretty noticeable difference if you ask me. Have you heard of any leak issues with the AFR
Old 05-31-2015, 03:40 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

hotrod.com/dual-plane-intake-manifold-comparisons/
Old 05-31-2015, 08:50 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

AFR is made to fit Fel-pro 1205/06, so you will have more air going into your engine with AFR intake.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:40 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Yeah I saw this the other day. But when I went on summit racing to order there were 7 reviews and 2 of which stated they had leaks. So I just want to know if anyone has had any issues
Old 05-31-2015, 12:54 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
Yeah I saw this the other day. But when I went on summit racing to order there were 7 reviews and 2 of which stated they had leaks. So I just want to know if anyone has had any issues
Pauldana is running the afr composite and as far as I know he's had no leaks. I thought about that method but decided to switch to the team g in stead, I think that having 400'' can can make use of the single plane over my rpm airgap.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 PM
BEVO76
Pro

It is pricey but it's pulling 30hp more than the PP crosswinds.....that's crazy. The only down side is it dosent look all that good as far as bling goes
Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

It is pricey but it's pulling 30hp more than the PP crosswinds.....that's crazy. The only down side is it dosent look all that good as far as bling goes
I have a good contact for AFR parts.
PM me if you would like to have more info.

I have AFR intake on my sbc 427 with AFR heads, but I haven't started it up yet.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:39 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Neither!

Edelbrock intakes are poor quality, I've bought two rpm air gaps new and both needed a lot of clean up & one had real bad core shift on the runners and I'd need to use a felpro 1206 gasket with the heads opened way up. I think china intakes are better quality these days and I hate to buy china.

The AFR composite intake has sealing problems and isn't the best idea for reliable street use, some stuff is better left for race only. You can google for threads in other forums that talk about the sealing issues.

In fact some prefer to not use an air gap intake for the street for better idle/cruise mixture form the heat crossover.

Still if you want air gap, the last intake of that style I bought was a Dart SHP and the quality was great!

The mag intake articles are flawed(like many) they don't account for port matching, some intakes have bigger runners but come undersized on the port so you can match to your heads(user final fit). For example Dart has a larger single plane intake that comes with stock ports for race classes that require unported stock heads, but it can be opened up a lot if used for some other heads.

In the end most air gap style intake are very close to the same these days and it'll be a small HP diff. GL!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:48 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Neither!

Edelbrock intakes are poor quality, I've bought two rpm air gaps new and both needed a lot of clean up & one had real bad core shift on the runners and I'd need to use a felpro 1206 gasket with the heads opened way up. I think china intakes are better quality these days and I hate to buy china.

The AFR composite intake has sealing problems and isn't the best idea for reliable street use, some stuff is better left for race only. You can google for threads in other forums that talk about the sealing issues.

In fact some prefer to not use an air gap intake for the street for better idle/cruise mixture form the heat crossover.

Still if you want air gap, the last intake of that style I bought was a Dart SHP and the quality was great!

The mag intake articles are flawed(like many) they don't account for port matching, some intakes have bigger runners but come undersized on the port so you can match to your heads(user final fit). For example Dart has a larger single plane intake that comes with stock ports for race classes that require unported stock heads, but it can be opened up a lot if used for some other heads.

In the end most air gap style intake are very close to the same these days and it'll be a small HP diff. GL!
Interesting

Does dart make a polished manifold?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:06 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I own two RPM air gap intakes, a BB and a SB. Both fit well and no issues. The only thing I ever noticed is on the BB intake, the lower "pan" seems to seap oil thru the porosity in the casting. It's very light and most people would never notice this but... I keep my engine show ready so I occasionally take a rag with brake cleaner or laquer thinner and shove it down the "gap" and clean the pan/floor of the intake. You never see a puddle, but it does look damp until you clean it.. I do this a couple times a year. Other then that, it's fine. Supports good power. I made 657hp with it stock right out of the box.

The RPM air gap on my buddy's 383 made 490hp with only a cut down divider and minor port matching...and that was with a tiny 224* roller cam.

Bang for the buck, I'd stick with the RPM air gap.

I'm sure the Titan is good as well but not $500 good. Especially on a 500hp or less street SB.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:02 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Interesting

Does dart make a polished manifold?
No clue, but you can polish or have polished any alum intake or get them power or thermal coated.

edit: I just mean in general, I don't know if Dart does any of that.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

AFR addressed the china wall seal issue .. The intakes are reinforced and will no longer leak in that area. I had one and sold it only because I opted for sequential multi port fuel injection, other wise tbi or a carb the AFR titan rules ..
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by diehrd
AFR addressed the china wall seal issue .. The intakes are reinforced and will no longer leak in that area. I had one and sold it only because I opted for sequential multi port fuel injection, other wise tbi or a carb the AFR titan rules ..
That's good to know! I have been doing some reading this afternoon and it seems as if you are correct and the issues have been fixed. I have found minimal if any complaints while looking
Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Those are nice pieces and AFR backs up their products

Edelbrocks newer stuff is real real nice. Shoot the lSx manifolds are pretty much perfect about impossible to improve on, they have come a long way.

Run a Team G myself with lots of porting but wouldnt hesitate to run a Titan if I had the dough its just a better design....Guess it all depends where you want your power but the G and the airgap are within lbs of each other tq wise til the single plane hits 5k or so

Get notified of new replies

To Edlebrock RPM Air Gap vs AFR Titan is anyone using the AFR

Old 05-31-2015, 11:55 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

My air gaps were newer, won't ever buy another intake form them again.

I saw they fixed the titan and some still had an issue from the thread I read. Too much $ for me to spend and maybe have issues.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 AM
BEVO76
Pro

Was your air gap a professional products? Very true about spending $600 to have problems.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
My air gaps were newer, won't ever buy another intake form them again.

I saw they fixed the titan and some still had an issue from the thread I read. Too much $ for me to spend and maybe have issues.

I've had issues with my airgap, fixing to try the team g.

Quick Reply: Edlebrock RPM Air Gap vs AFR Titan is anyone using the AFR