C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build-your-own tach drive HEI distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 01:25 AM
Yellow73BB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build-your-own tach drive HEI distributor

I just installed my "new" tach drive distributor. If anyone has been thinking about building one of these, I can tell you that it is not that hard. I paid $53 (including shipping) for an Accel dual point tach drive distributor on ebay, and $15 for an HEI distributor at a junk yard, for a total of $68 bucks. Not bad.

I cut the top off the tach drive dist, cut the top off the HEI, and then prepared to weld them together. You need a lathe to get a good straight cut of course. The problem came when I found that the shaft on the Accel unit is .5" diameter and the HEI is about .403" diameter. Also, the Accel used roller bearings and the HEI uses bronze bushings. The OD for the roller bearings is .75" and the OD for the bronze bushings is about .675". Not to worry, I got a 3/4" bolt and made some metal bushings so I could use the bronze bushing in the tach drive distributor shaft housing. Not as good as the bearings I know, but I didn't have much choice. Then I reamed out the bronze bushings to .5" for the larger Accel shaft. I pressed it all togehter and had the HEI top welded on. Then I cut about 2" from the HEI center shaft, welded it to the Accel shaft, mounted everything together and installed it. Now I have HEI and tach.

Why? you ask? Well, I also have a computer from a 90 van running my ignition (and soon my fuel injection) so I needed the HEI with the 7 terminal module to drive the computer.

I love it when things work! (kind of a rare thing sometimes . . . . . :) )
Old 08-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Build-your-own tach drive HEI distributor (Yellow73BB)

:cool: :cool:

I don't think that very many forum members have the resources nor the skills involved to do this:

There could be a business opportunity here for you... :D
Old 08-17-2002, 03:25 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

( rebuilt my original Tach.
It was easy. Real easy.

Stew :cheers:
Old 08-17-2002, 02:02 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I wouldn't dream of using a mechanical tach, so everything else is moot.... :D :D
Old 08-18-2002, 03:03 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I just installed my "new" tach drive distributor. If anyone has been thinking about building one of these, I can tell you that it is not that hard. I paid $53 (including shipping) for an Accel dual point tach drive distributor on ebay, and $15 for an HEI distributor at a junk yard, for a total of $68 bucks. Not bad.

I cut the top off the tach drive dist, cut the top off the HEI, and then prepared to weld them together. You need a lathe to get a good straight cut of course. The problem came when I found that the shaft on the Accel unit is .5" diameter and the HEI is about .403" diameter. Also, the Accel used roller bearings and the HEI uses bronze bushings. The OD for the roller bearings is .75" and the OD for the bronze bushings is about .675". Not to worry, I got a 3/4" bolt and made some metal bushings so I could use the bronze bushing in the tach drive distributor shaft housing. Not as good as the bearings I know, but I didn't have much choice. Then I reamed out the bronze bushings to .5" for the larger Accel shaft. I pressed it all togehter and had the HEI top welded on. Then I cut about 2" from the HEI center shaft, welded it to the Accel shaft, mounted everything together and installed it. Now I have HEI and tach.

Why? you ask? Well, I also have a computer from a 90 van running my ignition (and soon my fuel injection) so I needed the HEI with the 7 terminal module to drive the computer.

I love it when things work! (kind of a rare thing sometimes . . . . . :) )
:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Build-your-own tach drive HEI distributor

Quick Reply: Build-your-own tach drive HEI distributor