C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L98 ZF 6 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:13 PM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default L98 ZF 6 speed conversion

Has anyone done this in there C3? If so how did the shifter fit in the console and what about the crossmember?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did a ZF changeout on a ZR1 some years ago, and it is MUCH larger than any trans tunnel in a C3 and the frame will need modified on that tail shaft support also.....with the interior crap needing extensive mods to accept the large tunnel, your seats will have to be replaced.....

FUGGETABOUTIT!!!!!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by mrvette
I did a ZF changeout on a ZR1 some years ago, and it is MUCH larger than any trans tunnel in a C3 and the frame will need modified on that tail shaft support also.....with the interior crap needing extensive mods to accept the large tunnel, your seats will have to be replaced.....

FUGGETABOUTIT!!!!!

If ANYBODY on this forum would know, it's you Gene.

Sounds like a monumental task then...
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

The Zf 6 speed is huge and requires major mods as said above. The T56 is a much better fit and requires very little mods.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

I just finished a t56 in my 69 vette , best improvement you can do along with the borgeson stering box .
Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM
jetmech
Racer

Originally Posted by mrvette

FUGGETABOUTIT!!!!!

It does sound like it could be a huge task. I have cut the floor pans in my 79 and lowered them to fit C5 seats, so I am not too concerned about modifying the tunnel. Looks like I have some measuring and contemplating to do. As far as the crossmember that will be another challenge in itself. For me figuring out if and how is a big part of the fun! Thanks for the input. If I decide to tackle the project I will post how it goes!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech
It does sound like it could be a huge task. I have cut the floor pans in my 79 and lowered them to fit C5 seats, so I am not too concerned about modifying the tunnel. Looks like I have some measuring and contemplating to do. As far as the crossmember that will be another challenge in itself. For me figuring out if and how is a big part of the fun! Thanks for the input. If I decide to tackle the project I will post how it goes!
Is cost an issue?

If not then would you consider a T56 Magnum ?
You can buy most items to fit in a 79. You still need to make a hole
for the shifter, add electrical connections, you can use the original speedo,

Between American powertrain, bowtie overdrive, hurst driveline, sst you will find every part you need to install a T56. The only thing is the cost.

Is your car a auto or manual ?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 PM
jetmech
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Is cost an issue?

If not then would you consider a T56 Magnum ?
You can buy most items to fit in a 79. You still need to make a hole
for the shifter, add electrical connections, you can use the original speedo,

Between American powertrain, bowtie overdrive, hurst driveline, sst you will find every part you need to install a T56. The only thing is the cost.

Is your car a auto or manual ?
The car has a 200-4R in it right now. Also I have installed a tuned port on the original 350. As far as money being an issue. ALWAYS . The motor in the car has gotten tired and I came across a package deal on the L98 and 6 speed. If the transmission looks to be a huge problem then I may just put the motor in and continue with an auto for now.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

no support for the zf6 anymore, black tag is stronger german built, blue US built takes less beating,

the c4 guys are getting desperate in finding the dual mass flywheel, which they don't make anymore... forget it

do something else
Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech
The car has a 200-4R in it right now. Also I have installed a tuned port on the original 350. As far as money being an issue. ALWAYS . The motor in the car has gotten tired and I came across a package deal on the L98 and 6 speed. If the transmission looks to be a huge problem then I may just put the motor in and continue with an auto for now.

Go with the motor and wait until you kill the auto. It takes a lot of planning to install a 6-speed. Here was my battle.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM
jetmech
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Go with the motor and wait until you kill the auto. It takes a lot of planning to install a 6-speed. Here was my battle.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
this does look like a large task even with the T56. Great write up by the way. i definately have some planning and contemplating to do before i decide which route to take. i will put my 91 on the lift this afternoon and do some measuring and picture taking. The engine trans should arrive Friday. I will be able to contemplate over the holiday weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 ZF 6 speed conversion

Quick Reply: L98 ZF 6 speed conversion